New Onkyo receiver turns off TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got an Onkyo HT-S6300 and I really like everything about it. Everything works great, but after a couple of hours the TV will turn itself off. The TV is a Toshiba 42RV530U which has never given me any trouble until I got the Onkyo. Everything is plugged into the Onkyo via HDMI, except the Wii. I have a PS3, MacMini, Wii and a Motorola HD-DVR. It doesn't matter if the receiver is on factory settings, custom settings or anywhere in between, the TV will always shut off after a couple of hours. The TV will stay on if the receiver isn't in the system. I have done everything I can think of, even exchanging the receiver for a new one. I have no idea what to do next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Hi NavyCricket, do a process of elimination.

With everything still connected, remove one source - start with MacMini and see what happens.
post #3 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

I really don't think that the issue is caused by an something other than the receiver. Even when the receiver is set to the iPod dock it will shut off the TV. I will try unplugging things and seeing if there are different results, but after I got the new receiver today the TV shut off, even though the MacMini wasn't turned on. It might be a while before I get the results. It seems to only happen once a day, and after I turn the TV back on it will stay on until the next day.

And just to take care of it before someone asks, it's not overheating. All of the components are on glass shelves and the TV is on a stand.
post #4 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm, then suggest checking HDMI-CEC feature on the tv and turn this to off.
post #5 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 PM

I assume the receiver is connected to the TV via HDMI, right? It's possible that the receiver is sending a command to the TV via the CEC protocol.

Why it would tell the TV to turn off is a mystery, though. Perhaps it's a sort of "screen saver" function that triggers when the system has been inactive for a set length of time? If so, then the inactivity detection logic is obviously flawed.

EDIT: ...or what JChin said
post #6 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

The REGZA-Link (CEC) features are currently turned off, and the result is the same with them turned off. And all the Onkyo RIHD (CEC) features are turned off.

Is there a possibility that this is caused by HDMI cables? I did buy them a couple of years ago on Amazon for about $8 each. They are all 1.3, and the receiver is 1.4a. Any reason to replace the HDMI cables with some new ones?
post #7 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the equipments connected to a surge protector or smart/power strip?
post #8 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Everything is powered through a Monster Cable MP HT800, but that doesn't have any smart features. It's pretty basic.
post #9 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

For testing purpose, connect tv (or receiver) power cord directly to wall outlet.
post #10 of 29 Old 01-07-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure what bypassing the power filter would accomplish. I only have two outlets where my system sits in the living room. That would allow me to only power the TV and one other component.
post #11 of 29 Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

OK, so it seems I have a new piece of this puzzle. I unplugged the HDMI cable from the MacMini, and have been watching movies for a few hours now. Now, however, I am really lost. I had the computer off yesterday, and the TV turned itself off twice. Now that the cable is actually disconnected, it seems to be working just fine. I guess I will continue to monitor the situation and report back. Does anybody know why the Mac would shut off the TV?

FYI, I ordered new HDMI cables last night and they should be in soon. I doubt these will change anything, but at least I won't have to buy them later if I ever get a 3D TV.
post #12 of 29 Old 01-09-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well, it happened again. The TV was shut off when I came back in the room after leaving a movie on. So it must not be the MacMini. Too bad, because the computer was unplugged all day yesterday, and the TV stayed on all day. So now what? Do I just wait until the new cables come in before I worry about fixing this, or what is my next move?
post #13 of 29 Old 01-10-2011, 09:42 PM

Navy - I have the same Onkyo system and I'm having the same problem. I'm using the system with a five year old Samsung DLP that has never given me any problems. I'm using some HDMI cables that I bought at the same time as the TV so they're a few years old as well. Have you tried switching out your cables yet?
post #14 of 29 Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I got in two of the four cables I ordered last night and hooked them up. I ordered four Amazon Basics High Speed HDMI cables with audio return and ethernet. They review pretty well on amazon, and were only a few dollars each. If this doesn't change anything, I will be borrowing a friends TV this weekend to see if that changes anything.

I keep trying to think of different ways to verify that this isn't just the TV shutting off by itself. I left the system connected normally, but with the receiver shut off and the TV left on to see if the TV would shut itself off as a power saving feature or something, but it stayed on all night. I did notice that if I had my iPod in the dock the TV would just display a blank screen, but if I took the iPod off the dock "No Input" or whatever would show up on the screen. I guess I'll have to see what happens if I leave the iPod dock unplugged. I will post results of the TV swap and the iPod dock this weekend.

I am glad (sorry) that someone other than me is having this issue. I hope we can find a way to solve it. I did contact Onkyo support and they suggested resetting to factory defaults and then sending the unit in for repair. After swapping the receiver out for a new one, and no change in symptoms, I suspect some hand-shake type issue, or maybe an incompatibility between different versions of CEC features, or some other software or configuration problem. I doubt that it is a hardware issue at this point.
post #15 of 29 Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I guess it wasn't the cables between the TV and receiver, or the MacMini and the receiver. The TV shut off after just under two hours. Tomorrow I should have the cables that go between the receiver and the cable box and the PS3 replaced. Keep your fingers crossed!
post #16 of 29 Old 01-15-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

So I replaced my HDMI cables and borrowed a tv from a friend and the TV has been on for 4 hours straight. I know that this happened when I unplugged the MacMini, so I can't say for sure that the problem is gone. After I figure out if it is gone or not, I'll have to figure out what was causing the issue.
post #17 of 29 Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

The TV I borrowed stays on all day long, without fail. Damn it. So I guess I'll have to get mine back in and see what happens with these new cables. It better be the cables.
post #18 of 29 Old 01-17-2011, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I put my TV back in the picture, and so far it has been on for around three hours. Much longer than it normally would have previously. So maybe it really was the cables, which I'm sure to someone, makes sense. I guess over the next week or so I'll really know if it was the cables or something else will need to be purchased. Like a new (3D) TV.
post #19 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

So I did more research and found a link to new firmware on Toshiba's website. This link was not something that I could navigate to using Toshiba's website normally. Legend, you should see if there is a thread for your specific TV and find out if there is a firmware update. That's where I found the link to mine. After the install the TV stayed on for 4 hours straight. I think I may have found the solution. We'll find out tomorrow.
post #20 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a Onkyo and a Toshiba LCD and see the problem as well, but it's too sporadic and random for it to really have been a problem. Sometimes, it would go weeks without doing it.

Let us know if the firmware fixes it. How would you update firmware on a TV anyways?
post #21 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

The firmware update is found here:
http://support.toshiba.ca/support/ce...?docid=D000018

This might not be the correct firmware for your specific TV, so be careful about attempting it. The list of models this update is for is at the top of the page. I couldn't find out how to get to to this page using Toshiba's website, but I found the link in an older forum. The update is from early 2009, so I know that it is at least 6 months newer than what was installed. You'll just download the file at the bottom of the page, extract the .zip file contents to a SD card. There is a Service Only SD slot on the right side of my set, and when I put the card in the TV picked it up automatically. The update is "to improve compatibility between the TV and set top boxes connected via HDMI." Sounds promising. If that link isn't for your TV, there are more firmware updates here:
http://support.toshiba.ca/support/ceg/downloads/

If this doesn't work, the only thing I can think about doing is programming an unused button on my Harmony 550 for a power toggle button for the TV. When it shuts off, I'd just hit the button. I really don't want to do this, so I hope this firmware update is the fix I need.
post #22 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 02:37 PM

I have the same problem with my Regza/Onkyo setup. Found the firmware, will get that installed and report my findings also.

Regza 32RV365D
Onkyo TSXR607

Ben
post #23 of 29 Old 01-18-2011, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

I just got word that my TV shut off at around two hours. So maybe the firmware didn't take, or maybe it did nothing. Either way, I am totally frustrated with this whole deal. I don't know why the TV would turn off with the receiver in line, except for a firmware issue. I guess the quest continues.

Before I applied the firmware I had version 19, and after it still said FW:19, so I guess I'll try installing it again, but I did get a message saying the update was a success.
post #24 of 29 Old 01-24-2011, 09:54 PM

I was forwarded it from the Onkyo 807 official thread. I have a Toshiba 52xv645u and Onkyo 807, and my TV has been turning off randomly too! I got several heavy duty HDMI cables from Monoprice, HDMI 1.3a high speed. I tried other cables too. TV still shuts off at random times, like when I'm in the middle of a movie, or watching Netflix, or when my XBOX is just on and sitting at a screen. The time it takes to turn off ranges from 30min to 3hr or sometimes never. I got RegzaLink turned off and the sleep timer turned off.

I had a technician come out twice to take a look at my TV. They couldn't find anything and were not really qualified technician anyway. They first claimed my Harmony universal remote may be a problem. Then they turn off "Deep Color" support, because they said it causes problems. All of my devices, including the Onkyo, supports Deep Color!

I have the latest firmware on my TV and Receiver too. I never thought that this could be receiver related. But I also have a problem where the screen will go blank for 1-2sec, then reappear. I was given an option to exchange my TV, but now it may be receiver related?

I also found this thread about Best Buy Insignia TV's turning off randomly too. One person states he was using a component input to a XBOX and his tv turns off. I really doubt it's the receiver, probably something overheating on motherboard in TV or something.
http://community.insigniaproducts.co...imes/td-p/5509
post #25 of 29 Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM

Definitely something to do with the receiver - I've been using the tv with the 360/bluray without the receiver for a couple of months without the receiver in the loop since i moved house and hadn't managed to set up the system again until recently. The very day i put it all back together the tv turned itself off, and has done basically every day i've used it since.

Also, if its a problem with an overheating motherboard, why would turning the tv straight back on not result in it turning itself off again shortly afterwards?

I've emailed onkyo with details, and a link to this thread, hopefully they'll look into it (according to their FAQs they're looking into another issue with another brand of tv, so i suspect they'll get round to it eventually...)

Ben
post #26 of 29 Old 01-28-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

It is most certainly the receiver. It only happens with the receiver in the picture, and has never happened without it. I have eliminated EVERY piece of equipment I own. Even when I borrowed a TV from a friend, he said my TV worked fine, and I know he just let it sit on the floor the entire weekend, instead of on a stand, like it is now.

The firmware definitely took. The firmware date that the TV reports is October 2008 and i bought my TV in August. I have been taking care to know when my TV is turned on, so I know how long it takes before it shuts down, and it looks like it's always two hours. Toshiba support said to keep an eye out for firmware to fix the issue but it's been over two years since the last one. Good luck! I ended up programming the pound key on my Harmony remote as a power toggle for the TV. Good thing the resale value on this TV is pretty good and tax season is here. Panasonic, here I come!
post #27 of 29 Old 01-29-2011, 05:14 PM

Good luck with waiting for a firmware fix from Toshiba. I'm not waiting. I just got approval to exchange my TV for a different one, so that's what I'm doing. It was a nice TV with good black levels, but if it turns off because of some erroneous HDMI signal being sent to it from the receiver, then there is a problem with the TV's firmware. Also when I'm watching a movie, the screen occasionally flashes black for a few frames, then shows the picture again. HDMI communication problem maybe? RegzaLink is turned off, so the TV shouldn't be listening to any HDMI commands to make it turn off anyway.

On the Toshiba forums, people are having problems with the 55" version turning ON by itself. LOL! Ghosts must be turning it on! LOL!
post #28 of 29 Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I decided not to wait for a firmware update and instead I bought a Panasonic 50VT25. I guess I'll just put the old Toshiba on craigslist and see what I can get for it.
post #29 of 29 Old 02-16-2011, 06:28 AM

In the "misery loves company" category, here is my experience. In March, 2010, I replaced a 40 inch LCD TV with a Toshiba 46XV645U. I have a Scientific American 4250 HDC Cable box and a Sony DVD player connected to an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver, which I had been using flawlessly for a few years. All connections are HDMI, and all signals go through the Onkyo. Almost immediately after installing it, I began experiencing spontaneous shut-off of the TV. I called Toshiba and set up an in-house service call. Throughout the intervening months, a technician replaced the TV's main board, the power supply, and the wireless remote sensor. Nothing fixed the problem. After Toshiba declared the issue to be something "external" to the TV, and therefore not their responsibility, I began, by process of elimination, trying to determine the culprit. The TV itself would stay on indefinitely if the other components were off. It wasn't the TV independently, so there must be a conflict. My final conclusion: it's definitely the Onkyo. What to do next is the burning question. It's been ten months of frustration. The TV still turns off in the first couple hours of use. I'll post again if I come up with a solution, short of a new receiver. This thread has been enlightening. Thanks!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page