AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannymad View Post

any ideas anyone?

What audio format is being sent from the TV to the AVR? Does this happen with all programs or just some?

What happens if you use an optical connection from the TV to the receiver instead of ARC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 316 Old 01-07-2012, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not sure what format is coming from the TV - it is using Freeview Digital over the air just using an ordinary TV Aerial but I was watching Jurassic park today and the sound was definitely coming from all four speakers (front left & right plus rear left and right) but not the centre speaker.

I haven't tried an optical cable yet - does it matter what type? I will order one from ebay, I've never used optical so I guess both panasonic units offer support for it?
post #213 of 316 Old 01-07-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Your sound system should report what audio format it is receiving from the TV.

Are you applying any surround modes in the Panasonic?

All optical cables are the same.
post #214 of 316 Old 01-08-2012, 01:02 AM

I'm pretty sure I think I did turn on a surround mode on the tv.

The setup is over at my daughters flat so I will buy an optical cable and have a look at the setup later this evening.

Thanks for the advice
post #215 of 316 Old 01-08-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
A surround mode on the TV won't affect what gets sent to the sound system. I was asking whether you've engaged a surround mode on the sound system.
post #216 of 316 Old 01-08-2012, 11:30 AM

What I have found with my one is that when you go through the easy setup options under Other on the Home menu, you get the options to choose between either stereo or multi speaker. When you choose the multi speaker option it appears that the centre speaker doesn't work unless it is getting a proper 5.1 signal, hence it works fine when you play a disc in the player. Apparently there aren't many TV stations which do send a proper 5.1 sound signal and they rely on the viewer using one of the various onboard sound options either on the TV or BD Player.

On the Panasonic remote on the bottom there are three black rectangular buttons underneath three coloured ones. These can be used together with the Up/Down/Left/Right/Enter buttons to shift these settings. The left most button on the bottom can be used to shift between Heavy/Normal Bass, and some other sound options I cannot recall at present. The middle one is used to shift between the Auto/stereo/multi channel speakers or you can use the manual setting to shift between 4 or 5 different options of which I found the best one was the Super Surround one. Using this setting the centre speaker works as well as the Front and Rear L/R's. Like you I spent ages fiddling around thinking there was something wrong but I believe that the system is meant to work like that and only plays the centre speaker when it has a proper 5.1 source, other wise you must use one of the simulated 5.1 options on the manual setting. Hope this helps.
post #217 of 316 Old 01-08-2012, 01:30 PM

Thanks, I still haven't had a chance to test this but I think it might be something to do with the "Sound" setup on the BTT370 like bluesjunior suggests

I read the manual tonight and when I get a chance I will try changing the "sound" set-ups
post #218 of 316 Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

If the source is DD 5.1, then you should get sound from all six channels. If the source is stereo, then you'll only get the L/R channels and will need to apply a surround mode in the sound system to send audio to the other channels. The unusual symptom in your case is that you say you get sound from the surrounds, but not from the center. I don't know any of modes that would produce that output.
post #219 of 316 Old 01-08-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

If the source is DD 5.1, then you should get sound from all six channels. If the source is stereo, then you'll only get the L/R channels and will need to apply a surround mode in the sound system to send audio to the other channels. The unusual symptom in your case is that you say you get sound from the surrounds, but not from the center. I don't know any of modes that would produce that output.

If you read my post above you will see that in the set up procedure you have the pick between stereo or multi channel. When you choose Stereo only the L/R Front speakers work and when you choose Multi then the Front and Rear L/R plus the Sub Woofer work. This mode continues until the HTIB receives a true 5.1 or DTS signal when all 6 speakers work together. Previously I had mine set on the pseudo Super Surround manual setting in which the centre speaker does work but found that the front and rear speakers became overloud when you set it to hearing the voice audio from the centre speaker. When not watching a true 5.1 or DTS source I find that there is a better balance of sound from the system when set to the Auto Multi Speaker setting.
post #220 of 316 Old 01-08-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, bluesjunior, but I believe you are mistaken about a silent center channel. Stereo limits the output to L/R. Multi-channel enables sound to all speakers, including the center channel. Take a look at p24 of the manual. If a source is stereo, use the Surround button to select Manual and then choose one of the surround modes. ProLogic II definitely expands stereo to 5.1, including the center channel. I have never heard of a surround mode that ignores the center channel when expanding stereo to 5.1.
post #221 of 316 Old 01-09-2012, 01:36 AM

Hi guys,

Can you please tell me is any of the 370 or 770 models are playing mkv media from samba shares ? Or the media is played only by DLNA ?

Thanks !
post #222 of 316 Old 01-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Hello Everyone

I have just bought a Panasonic BTT370 and have connected it via HDMI (ARC) to a Sony KDL32-713. I am experiencing pretty chronic lip sync issues on all sources, but to varying degrees. If I change the delay to 250ms DVD / Bluray is just about right but broadcasts from Freeview (SD and HD) are then unwatchable as the delay is way way too much.

Has anyone else experienced this and if so how was the problem solved? Also wanted to know if this could be down to the TV rather than the Panasonic?

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Owen
UK
post #223 of 316 Old 01-09-2012, 04:31 PM

Hi i am new to this my son got me the above for a birhday present we managed to get it working the intenet was hard wired it worked fine watching youtube on a big set ,then problem when the kids are on the laptop all wirless you tube dispeares all cheaks the system is fine connections ok we have the fastes internet in our exchange its 30mbs
can anyone help as what to do next
post #224 of 316 Old 01-10-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Sorry, bluesjunior, but I believe you are mistaken about a silent center channel. Stereo limits the output to L/R. Multi-channel enables sound to all speakers, including the center channel. Take a look at p24 of the manual. If a source is stereo, use the Surround button to select Manual and then choose one of the surround modes. ProLogic II definitely expands stereo to 5.1, including the center channel. I have never heard of a surround mode that ignores the center channel when expanding stereo to 5.1.

After your post above I went back to the drawing board so to speak and found that the following may be affecting the sound on this HTIB unit. My TV is the Panasonic TX-P42UT30B model with the same Viera link up as the HTIB. Now when you have the sound system on and open up the TV menu via the TV remote you only get the option under the Sound header to adjust the Headphone volume, all other sound controls are not visible unless you switch off the HTIB unit when you then get the full array. Now when I first got the TV & HTIB I had found this out and set my preferences up on the TV Sound Settings menu on the HDMI-1 channel. Two of the options in this menu are (1) between Stereo/V-Sound/Super V-Sound with stereo being the default and (2) between Analog and Digital with Analog being the default. Anyway after again trying it out with the HTIB on the Dolby Pro-Logic Movie setting and finding that I had no centre channel sound I decided to switch the box off and check the Sound settings on the TV again to see if anything had changed there. I found that the settings were still in effect on HDMI-1 but that HDMI-2 and all the other options, HDMI-3 AV1-2, Composite etc were still on the default setting. With the box off I changed the settings on the HDMI-2 and AV-1 channels to the same as I had set previously on HDMI-1 ie Digital and Super V audio and when I switched on the box to check it found that indeed I now had the middle speaker working properly on the Dolby Pro Logic II Movie setting. As the HDMI-2 connection is the one with the ARC connection I think that having the TV setting on Analog has been the problem. Anyway it appears to all be working fine now and sounds much better with the Dolby setting. I think there has been some confusion between the TV settings and the HTIB settings on the Viera link up causing the problems that people seem to be having with their sound. It maybe worth you others checking out your TV sound settings as well.
post #225 of 316 Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 AM

Hi
I have connected my LG TV to my BTT270 with an HDMI cable and an Optical audio cable (TV doesnt have ARC). when playing Bluerays/cds/IPOD/Radio etc the sound is fantastic. However when i try and watch tv and use the BTT270 speakers for the sound (using the optical audio cable) the volume is very low. Is there a way of 'equalling' the volume levels as it very annoying having to constantly change volume levels when i switch from TV to Blueray etc. Any help would be most welcome! Thanks.
post #226 of 316 Old 01-15-2012, 12:16 PM

hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay but I finally had time to go round and have another look at the setup - I had even bought an optical cable just in case but....

The problem was the surround mode on the BTT370, when I pressed the "surround" button at the bottom of the HTIB remote to cycle between modes I realised it was set to "multi-channel" (no sound from centre speaker) and when I switched to "standard dolby pro logic" all the speakers jumped into life!

(I think I must had selected multi-channel previously to see if the ipod dock would play through all speakers)

Anyway its all fixed now - thanks for your input guys!
post #227 of 316 Old 01-19-2012, 08:57 AM

Hi all,

Perhaps folks here can help. I have a BTT370, and despite some of it's quirks it's a pretty solid unit.

A recent annoyance I discovered is that I loaded a DVD ROM filled with AVIs of various programs (TVs/movies). Upon loading it, I received an error message that the format couldn't be recognized. My old progressive scan DVD player could play these with no problem. I was a bit dissapointed to say the least.

Anyone else encounter this problem/issue?

Thanks
post #228 of 316 Old 01-21-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceVan View Post

Hi. Originally I was also disappointed with the picture quality but I have changed some settings on the tv and now it looks fine. Mkv files do work. The reason why your hard drive probably does not work is that it is probably not FAT32 formatted as required by the Panasonic. You can try formatting it in Fat32 and try again. I'm really disappointed that a product released in 2011 only supports fat32. This why I usually steer clear of Panasonic and Sony. But in this case I bought it because of the sound quality which is awesome. But I'm not entirely convinced that this makes up for its other shortcomings.

My 270 plays mkvs fine from a 32gb thumlb drive formatted to ExFAT (although the manual says only FAT supported), but only if the filesize is below 2gb.

I am going to reformat it to FAT32 and see if it will play a mkv file which is up to the 4gb limit and will report back.

It will play mkv files larger than 4gb from my 1.5TB external drive connected to a PC via DNLA server, but playback is very choppy and stuttery, despite being connected via wired network connection through my router) and I haven't been able to solve this - or a separate lip sync issue when playing avi and other video files via DNLA, despite trying various delay settings.
post #229 of 316 Old 01-21-2012, 08:54 PM

Just purchased the 770. I'm confused. I don't want to use my player for Blu Rays, just audio. I have a digital cable going from my TV to the dig. in. If I don't have an HDMI out plugged in and restart the unit, I can't get the machine to play Dig In without putting the HDMI back in. Do I HAVE to have the HDMI in for sound to work?
post #230 of 316 Old 01-23-2012, 11:14 AM

Hello, I have the BTT270 connected to a panasonic 42px80u TV. After setting up the home theater it immediately recognized the tv through the viera link and everything turns on/off using my cable box remote. However, the home theater does not always turn back on. Not only does it not turn on from viera link (after the tv turns on first), it wont turn on from it's remote or by pressing the unit's power button. The only way to get it back on is to unplug, then re-plug the unit in. After that it works fine. 8 out of 10 times it powers up, but for some reason, randomly, a few times it will not turn on. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
post #231 of 316 Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidqunt View Post

My 270 plays mkvs fine from a 32gb thumlb drive formatted to ExFAT (although the manual says only FAT supported), but only if the filesize is below 2gb.

I am going to reformat it to FAT32 and see if it will play a mkv file which is up to the 4gb limit and will report back.

It will play mkv files larger than 4gb from my 1.5TB external drive connected to a PC via DNLA server, but playback is very choppy and stuttery, despite being connected via wired network connection through my router) and I haven't been able to solve this - or a separate lip sync issue when playing avi and other video files via DNLA, despite trying various delay settings.

Formatting to FAT32 made no difference whatsoever, still only plays mkv files from USB if they're lower than 2Gb.

Annoying.

Wonder why my machine recognises a USB formatted in ExFAT but doesn't respect the fact that it then supports files greater than 2gb. Am wondering if maybe a previous firmware update did this, perhaps after the manual was released, and maybe the manual then wasn't updated to reflect this?

Anyone know if there are lists of firmware versions and change logs for them anywhere online so I can try and see if anything changed after the manual was produced?

And is it worth contacting Panasonic and asking them to do a firmware update that will allow mkvs greater than 2gb to be played from USB?

And if so, does anyone know how the **** would I go about this?

Help appreciated.
post #232 of 316 Old 01-24-2012, 11:48 AM

Earlier in this post people talked about the Home screen being the screen when the HTB was turned on. In my TV setup in the Viera LinkTM, you have the option for your sound to be Theater. This let's the TV turn on your HTB and the HTB Home Screen does not turn on, but instead you have your regular TV viewing. If this has been covered already, I missed that post.
post #233 of 316 Old 01-25-2012, 02:24 AM

Hi All,

I've been googling like mad and I can't find a solution - has anyone here had lip sync issues from all inputs? I spoke to Panasonic Care and they said I needed a new machine- surprise surprise the new one does exactly the same as the old!

I've got a BTT370 connected via HDMI ARC to a Panasonic TXL37E30B TV (all brand new). No other components connected (i.e. consoles/STBs)

Watching digital TV using the TV tuner and in-built speakers is fine, everything matches up nicely.

As soon as the sound goes through the BTT370 there is a slight delay to it to cause lip sync with the audio behind the video. The same goes for BD's/DVDs being played on the BTT370- the audio is late.

I've tried using non-ARC HDMI ports with a separate optical audio cable- no change.

I've tried a more expensive HDMI cable - no change.

I've tried Viera Link On and Off- no change except you can actually hear the delay as an echo if the TV speakers are turned up at the same time as the HTIB.

Audio delay is set to auto- adding any further delay makes it worse.

My rear speakers are about 1m behind the sofa, centre is below TV at 2.5m and front L/R speakers are to either side of the TV and 2.7m away from the sofa. Speakers delays are set as 0.6ms for the centre speaker and 4.6ms for rears.

Any thoughts anyone??

Thanks in advance!

Rob
post #234 of 316 Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 AM

Hi Rob

Since changing the set up to use BTT370's Optical-In input from Tv, with two Pvrs connected to the Tv, we too immediately noticed that lip sync needed adjustment. This was also in spite of the delay in the Sound Menu being left at 'auto'

Are you sure the audio is behind the video? It was hard to be sure and at first it seemed odd to be adding delay in this situation, but in retrospect it must have been the lips 'moving too late' which meant that adding 'delay to the sound' was the answer.

It was reassuring to see how lip synch gradually got better as the setting was increased in stages from 10ms, so in our case this seemed to confirm that this was the right thing to do.

Unlike what you found, changing that 'Auto' setting like this, up to '90ms', (with 0ms in all the speaker settings), has cured it completely, so maybe you could have another go to make sure

Regards
Chris
post #235 of 316 Old 01-25-2012, 12:41 PM

Cheers Chris,

I've actually already tried adding in further delay- it just exacerbates the delay so I'm pretty convinced it's late already.

Rob
post #236 of 316 Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 PM

Hi,

I have recently bought a BTT-370 and been seriously struggling for 4-5 days.

I am streaming from my Macbook pro with PS3 media server. When i play movies thats stereo, the sound is of course stereo. But, when i try to play surround with Blue Ray i get a white and crackling noise!?

I suppose it's some settings thats not correct, unfortunately i haven't found a solution for this myself

Have googled everywhere to find a solution - hope someone in here can point me in the right directions!
post #237 of 316 Old 01-30-2012, 06:43 PM

Anyone know why these are not available direct from Panasonic anymore? Are these models discontinued?
post #238 of 316 Old 01-31-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc203 View Post

Hi All,

I've been googling like mad and I can't find a solution - has anyone here had lip sync issues from all inputs? I spoke to Panasonic Care and they said I needed a new machine- surprise surprise the new one does exactly the same as the old!

I've got a BTT370 connected via HDMI ARC to a Panasonic TXL37E30B TV (all brand new). No other components connected (i.e. consoles/STBs)

Watching digital TV using the TV tuner and in-built speakers is fine, everything matches up nicely.

As soon as the sound goes through the BTT370 there is a slight delay to it to cause lip sync with the audio behind the video. The same goes for BD's/DVDs being played on the BTT370- the audio is late.

I've tried using non-ARC HDMI ports with a separate optical audio cable- no change.

I've tried a more expensive HDMI cable - no change.

I've tried Viera Link On and Off- no change except you can actually hear the delay as an echo if the TV speakers are turned up at the same time as the HTIB.

Audio delay is set to auto- adding any further delay makes it worse.

My rear speakers are about 1m behind the sofa, centre is below TV at 2.5m and front L/R speakers are to either side of the TV and 2.7m away from the sofa. Speakers delays are set as 0.6ms for the centre speaker and 4.6ms for rears.

Any thoughts anyone??

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Hello Rob,

I'm in exactly the same boat as you (see earlier post #222) - lip sync issues with sound definitely behind the picture.

I'm also on my second machine as Panasonic explained that the first one was definitely faulty!

Second one will be going back aswell and I think I'll look at another brand.

Have you got any further solving your issue?

Cheers

Owen
post #239 of 316 Old 02-05-2012, 11:03 AM

I have the BTT370 set up with a wireless connection and have been able to view Netflix fine. Recently I noticed I am no longer getting Audio when watching any Netflix content. HDMI 1 input (a Directv box) works fine. Sound is great. Disc playback is fine. Sound is great. Speaker test checks fine all are working. Any ideas where I should look for the possible cause?

Edit: Found a post on another site that said to unplug. Sure enough. Unplugged, reconnected and Netflix sound has returned. Now the lip sync is a big issue. More reading on that to do...
post #240 of 316 Old 02-05-2012, 12:45 PM

Hey guys, just bought a BTT 370 and got it hooked up last night to my 50" S2 Panny TV. Everything works good, and powers up together (though there is a slight delay from the htib unit). I noticed today that when everything is first turned on, and the tv picture comes up as well as the sound, there is a brief cut out in the sound after being on approx 30seconds. It lasts maybe 2 seconds, then the sound is normal and never happens again. Anyone else experience this? Thinking maybe there is a setting somewhere or something. My setup is this;
HMDI ARC TV - HDMI ARC on HTIB
HDMI TWC Cable box - HDMI in on HTIB
No optical audio cable (do i need this?)
Thanks!
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page