post #31 of 231 Old 03-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbird View Post

Ok, to answer the question, no it does not seem to play VIDEO_TS ("Video format not supported"). I don't have any .iso DVD rips right now to test those.

LG said that it has been made illegal to stream VOB files (no, it doesn't make sense) but you can get around this by renaming the VOB files to MPG files. Well, I know for sure that this trick worked on the 2010 models, I'm not sure if it still does. I don't have any to test. I rip my DVDs to AVI files.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 231 Old 03-26-2011, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess the next question is, will it recognize an iso? I'm not going to rename all my VOBs, because then they won't be able to be played by anything else. Isos are a good compromise though.
post #33 of 231 Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Just to be clear, it's not illegal to stream VOB files. That's ridiculous.
post #34 of 231 Old 03-26-2011, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeAd MiKe 187 View Post

TheGlow, these units are 24hz and 60hz. 24hz is compatible with 120hz. If you have a 120hz HDTV, you want to set the LG to 24hz, not 60hz.

Blu-rays are 24 frames-per-second - hence, 24hz. Only TVs are 120hz, not Blu-ray players.

I guess I didn't explain it clearly.
The tv I bought was told to me to be 120hz, but when I got home I saw it only had 24 and 60. Manual said 60 and LG rep said 60.
Bestbuy website still has it for 120hz.
post #35 of 231 Old 03-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlow View Post

I guess I didn't explain it clearly.
The tv I bought was told to me to be 120hz, but when I got home I saw it only had 24 and 60. Manual said 60 and LG rep said 60.
Bestbuy website still has it for 120hz.

Can you link us to the TV you got?
post #36 of 231 Old 03-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

I updated to the 245.E firmware today and now I have a problem with DivX TV. I keep getting an error when I try to open it. Anyone else?

EDIT: I went back to the 211.E firmware (from the USB) and did the update again today. It went MUCH quicker (5 minutes as opposed to 40 minutes the last time) and DivX TV is working perfectly again.
post #37 of 231 Old 03-29-2011, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
42LV3500
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+42%...3500&cp=1&lp=1
theyve updated it now to say 60hz. Heh.
But thats bestbuy for you. And I can say that cuz I worked there.
post #38 of 231 Old 03-31-2011, 09:50 AM

Can anyone in this forum recommend a universal remote to operate the TV, cable HD box and LG LHB536 system? I have a Harmony 650 and I tried to program it but Logitech does not even have this model in their database. I tried using the 535 model but it did not work. I can't get tech support from logitech without paying them because they only give a 90 day window of free support for set up. Right now I have to use the LG remote to power on and then the Comcast remote to turn on TV and cable box, this remote to change channels but I have to use LG remote to control volume. What a pain.
post #39 of 231 Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Am I the only one noticing sound issues when going from the USB to the Network, and vice versa? It's been happening ever since I got the system, with both firmware. Sometimes it works perfectly, but it's rare. For the most part, if I go from a Dolby Digital 5.1 track off of my USB stick, and then go to a DTS 5.1 track off the network, the center speaker will basically be muted on the DTS track. Switching "sound effects" (like from Natural Plus to Natural) fixes it. If I stop the movie and restart it, it's fine. But, then if I go back to the same 5.1 Dolby USB movie, now THAT track has the muted center speaker. Switching sound effects fixes it. Going back to the movie on the network, now that has the center speaker muted.

This is also the case with AAC audio tracks, it seems. The unit will think it's stereo audio until I switch sound effects, which fixes the problem. Has anybody experienced this? If not, can you try going directly from a USB movie to a Network movie? Also, try experimenting with different audio tracks (Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC, etc...). Thanks. I've already told LG's lead technician about this problem but I'm afraid not much will be done unless others notice it and complain, too.
post #40 of 231 Old 03-31-2011, 02:40 PM

I have not had my system long enough to see all problems but today I put in a DVD, not a bluray, and it started to play but there was no sound. I tried changing the sound effect but still no sound. I changed to another DVD and on this one I got sound. Then I put the first one back in and finally got sound. I also noticed that sometimes when I go from the LG to watching TV there is a delay in getting the video signal to the display. I have my HD cable box connected thru HDMI input 1 and then the LG HDMI out connected to the Pioneer Plasma TV HDMI Input 1. I am disappointed in the sound quality when I am watching HD TV shows but the sound quality on DVD is good. I called LG and the tech rep says it is the problem of the cable box. Is this valid or is LG just passing the buck. I thought HDMI from any source was HD video and HD audio from one single connection.
post #41 of 231 Old 03-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Can you explain what you mean by "delay in video signal?"

As for the sound issue, good to see I'm not alone with these sound issues. I had my information forwarded to LG's lead technician. I highly recommend you write them an e-mail and ask them to do the same. Otherwise, this stuff may not ever get fixed.
post #42 of 231 Old 04-02-2011, 01:48 PM

The video signal delay is waiting for the LG system to select the right input to my Plasma Tv. I have a cable that goes from the LG HDMI out port to an HDMI 1 in port on my TV. The comcast HD cable box has an HDMI out to the LG HDMI input 1. This is how I watch HD TV. There is also another input 1 label on my TV for non- HD TV or DVD depending on what you connect but nothing is connected to this input but I see the LG switching from the Input 1 to the HDMI input 1 before I finally get picture at the HDMI input 1. This maybe a function of my Pioneer PDP-5040HD Plasma TV and not the LG. I will report the sound problem to LG support.
Have you tested the I POD yet?
What are you doing for a universal remote if any?
post #43 of 231 Old 04-03-2011, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Don't have an iPod. I will have a friend bring one over just so I can see if it works or not. When I talked about missing the built-in iPod functionality earlier, I was mostly referring to when friends would bring their iPods over during parties. I used it a lot with my LHB535. I have tested my MP3 player, by plugging it in to the front 3.5mm audio port (the one near the USB), and that works perfectly. My HDTV is an LG, so I don't need a universal remote. The home theater system can turn my TV on and off and switch inputs, so I'm set with that. I put my TV's remote in the drawer, and all I use are my Cablevision cable remote, and my LHB 536 remote. Don't really need to get another remote to handle both of those.

Since my home theater system and HDTV are both LG, I don't have any HDMI handshake issues like what you're describing (I did have some issues with last year's model, so they have apparently been fixed). I keep my LHB on "HDMI 1" so that when I turn the LHB and the TV on, it's automatically ready for my cable box. I've never experienced my LHB switching inputs on me automatically or anything like that. If I leave it on the Home screen when I turn it off, it boots up right to the Home screen. If I leave it on HDMI 1, it boots up right to HDMI 1. There was a moment when I tested to make sure my HDMI 2 worked by putting the cable box's HDMI cable into HDMI 2 on the LHB, but I manually switched it to HDMI 2 right away - I didn't give it a chance to switch itself over.
post #44 of 231 Old 04-04-2011, 05:31 AM

iPod (actually iPhone in my case) works fine. I expected on-screen control, but everything is controlled from the iPhone itself. Maybe if I used an older iPod it would have on-screen controls (I can test that if I can remember to try it).
post #45 of 231 Old 04-04-2011, 06:57 AM

DEAD Mike since you had the 535 before you got the 536 can you tell me if the remote for the 535 is exactly like the remote for the 536? Did they both have the same exact functions? the reason for my question is I have a harmony 650 universal remote and I was trying to program it for my TV,LG and comcast cable box BUT harmony does not the LG 536 in their database yet but they do have the 535. I could try using the 535 if the remotes are the same. thanks for your help.

I also have my cable box connected to HDMI input 1 on LG and if I leave it there it stays but i still have to use LG remote to power on and then use comcast remote to power on cable box and Pioneer plasma TV. I am sure that the small delay is because of the TV media receiver because it has a input 1 for composite or component and another input 1 for HDMI, the LG HDMI output is searching for the correct input 1 on the TV.

For newbies to this forum if you are thinking of buying the 536 the price today at electronics-expo.com is $409.50 including shipping at amazon.com or electronics-expo.com. Price is coming down. I paid $434.00 including shipping
post #46 of 231 Old 04-04-2011, 07:27 AM

I can tell you the volume/mute/power control codes are the same. I set up my DirecTV remote to control those functions on the 535, and it still works on the 336.

I was not able to find a code for my other universal remote that would work properly. And my Harmony One broke, so I can't help you there.
post #47 of 231 Old 04-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjh7508117 View Post

DEAD Mike since you had the 535 before you got the 536 can you tell me if the remote for the 535 is exactly like the remote for the 536?

Your question was basically answered but I'd just like to tell you that the 536 has a slightly nicer remote. What I mean is, the directional keys are no longer attached together like they were with the 535. Now they have space between them. I'm sure the functions are still exactly the same, but it was nice that they were given space between the keys - the new design no longer makes me have to press a directional key more than once in order to get it to work.
post #48 of 231 Old 04-05-2011, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Ok, to answer the question, no it does not seem to play VIDEO_TS ("Video format not supported"). I don't have any .iso DVD rips right now to test those.

We're you playing off a USB drive? DVD?
post #49 of 231 Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 AM

USB drive. I would hope that VIDEO_TS on a DVD would work.
post #50 of 231 Old 04-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Has anyone tested the Plex Media Link App that's included with the LG SmartTV.
post #51 of 231 Old 04-06-2011, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

USB drive. I would hope that VIDEO_TS on a DVD would work.

I have an old Panasonic HTIB and it usually plays burned DVDs, but recently it's only been playing about 10% of them. Could be old, or something else.
post #52 of 231 Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 AM

I finally got my Harmony 650 remote programmed using the 535 and then i had to make some changes. It is impossible to use the watch DVD command because the 536 makes u open and close the DVD tray and I had to do a custom key and then learn mode on the harmony. I did get a clean WATCH TV activity but for everything else I just put the remote to devices and then select the LG system and use it instead of the LG 536 remote. This kind of a pain because I have to scroll thru pages on the harmony remote to find the home button but then use the arrow keys and enter to watch Netflix etc. This is okay but not great but better than 3 separate remotes.
post #53 of 231 Old 04-08-2011, 06:13 AM

You can watch a disk without opening the tray by going to the Home menu and selecting "Movie" then "BD" (which may say "DVD" if it's a DVD, I haven't watched one yet). Not sure that simplifies anything with the remote, though. I don't know why they don't just create discrete codes for every function.

If I remember my Harmony software right, you should be able to move functions around so that the Home button shows up on the first screen, or maybe you can program Home to a hard key.
post #54 of 231 Old 04-09-2011, 01:51 AM

Liked: 11
Darn, I was hoping this unit would play Amazon's online stuff too. Guess I'll keep the 536 in the maybe catagory.

AMP, it's like MSG for your TV!
post #55 of 231 Old 04-09-2011, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitgod View Post

Darn, I was hoping this unit would play Amazon's online stuff too. Guess I'll keep the 536 in the maybe catagory.

Pretty sure we're getting it. Users of the standalone 2011 players (not the Home Theater systems) just got the following today:

Google Maps
Amazon VOD
AP
Fun Spot
MOG
i-play beta
Daily Motion
post #56 of 231 Old 04-10-2011, 04:04 AM

Ok, so "keeping it in the maybe category" meant "going down to Fry's and having them price-match Amazon".

I was mainly choosing between the 536, the Panny BTT370, and the Sony E580 and HTSS380 (I already have a PS3, so getting a BD player wasn't really needed).

I just decided I liked the LG features and best of all the price, especially with it getting as cheap as the $374 I got it for.

I don't have a large room and my current 5.1 system was just a Logitech system that had DD/DTS decoding, so it was fine, but I was getting tired of dealing with optical cables and wanted to go all-HDMI.

I'd actually got around to getting something higher end and picking up an Onkyo AV receiver a few months ago, but found it was just too large size-wise for where I wanted to put it, so I took it back and just stuck my existing system. But I got the bug again this week to see what HDMI options I had with something smaller, and that's when I saw that these BDHT units had HDMI inputs on them, so I started looking at them.

So I got the 536 setup not too long ago, I haven't had a chance to really screw with it for a while, but I fired it up to see it work.

I do like the on-to-start-playing-BD time vs dealing with the PS3, so that's a win there. I was really surprised at the size of this unit for everything it's got in it, it's smaller and lighter than my DTV DVR. I don't expect the audio quality to be as good as a "real" AV receiver, but I think it's going to be good enough. No problems with the length of the speaker cable, though your mileage may vary. No problems putting it all together. The biggest hangup was setting up the wireless connection, it doesn't bother to tell you that the password you entered was incorrect, it'll just complain that it can't setup the dynamic IP. Finally after double-checking the password and seeing I'd entered it wrong the first time, that allowed it to get an IP ok, and then I downloaded the update for it.

No real negatives on this unit yet. My biggest gripe, and it's not a dealbreaker, is I'd prefer to have some sort of cloth protection over the speakers. Looking at some of the other HTiBs at Frys, this wasn't the only brand to have speakers like this.

I'm probably going to send them feedback on some feature changes I'd like to see. I finally noticed that it'll flash what type of audio it's getting from an HDMI input on the LCD screen, but I'd like to see that behavior changed a little. At worst, keep it on the LCD longer, personally I'm more curious about what audio it's decoding than worrying what input number it's using. Or maybe being able to hit the info button on the remote and have it show on the TV screen what audio channels it's doing. I wouldn't mind an on-screen showing of the volume level, though the way it handles it on the LCD is acceptable. Oh, and I couldn't find the manual on their website, I hate companies that do that. I would have had it downloaded, already read once, and moved over to my iPad if they did, instead I had to go over to the computer and get it off a CD.

I do like that it knows to turn itself off when the TV gets turned off, though once I get around to setting up my Harmony remote for this, that'll take care of that anyway.

Anyway, this unit seems to have a lot of bang for the buck.

post #57 of 231 Old 04-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Hey, Bitgod. The Owner's Manual can be found here.

I wish there was no on screen showing of the volume level. Luckily, there is none shown when I am using the cable box or Netflix. It's really not needed for Blu-rays and movies off of the USB (I don't mind it for the radio). I think the on screen volume display is way too big, which is why I end up using the little volume buttons on the bottom of the remote (rather than the large volume buttons in the middle of the remote) when I am watching movies off the disc, because the on screen display is MUCH smaller and goes away much faster when you use those buttons (those buttons control the TV, which - when using SIMPLINK and connected to the home theater system end up controlling the home theater system, and giving it a much smaller on screen display when changing the volume).

I don't know whose idea it was to keep the giant VOLUME box on screen for so long, or to make it as large as they did, but it's horrible. I can read the volume just fine off of the LCD. I don't need to see it on my movie, too. But, thankfully, they gave us the option of using the smaller volume buttons on the bottom remote which make the volume adjustments much less annoying!

As for "it'll just complain that it can't setup the dynamic IP" - that happened to me every time I tried to enable the wireless on this device (after doing factory resets, when I was testing certain things out). It's a bug. You having the same problem confirms it. Once you try to set the dynamic IP the second time, it always works - and it always fails the first time. I told an LG tech about this, so we'll see if that ever gets fixed.

I wrote something several posts up that I'd like you to comment on if you happen to watch movies off of your USB and home network. If not, ignore this:

Am I the only one noticing sound issues when going from the USB to the Network, and vice versa? It's been happening ever since I got the system, with both firmware. Sometimes it works perfectly, but it's rare. For the most part, if I go from a Dolby Digital 5.1 track off of my USB stick, and then go to a DTS 5.1 track off the network, the center speaker will basically be muted on the DTS track. Switching "sound effects" (like from Natural Plus to Natural) fixes it. If I stop the movie and restart it, it's fine. But, then if I go back to the same 5.1 Dolby USB movie, now THAT track has the muted center speaker. Switching sound effects fixes it. Going back to the movie on the network, now that has the center speaker muted.

This is also the case with AAC audio tracks, it seems. The unit will think it's stereo audio until I switch sound effects, which fixes the problem. Has anybody experienced this? If not, can you try going directly from a USB movie to a Network movie? Also, try experimenting with different audio tracks (Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC, etc...).
post #58 of 231 Old 04-10-2011, 05:12 PM

Ah, ok, I see what you mean about the on-screen volume. They don't have that overlay when watching video from a HDMI input, but I saw it when testing out the homelink playback.

I won't be using the built-in playback feature because I already have a HTPC running Plex for video playback, but for people that don't have that, that the LG plays back MKV files is nice, I didn't see that as a spec on the other units I tried. I had no problems with a 720p playing wirelessly, but if I were going to be using this for the video playback, I'd want to go with ethernet because it couldn't keep up with a 1080p stream over wifi. I also see that you can get the info popup with that video playback and it'll tell you what kind of audio it can play. If they can just get those video overlays on the HDMI inputs, I'd be happy.

I also found, and the manual wasn't clear that it would do this, that you don't HAVE to have DLNA to see the videos, it'll work fine from a SMB/CIFS share.

If I could add one feature, it would be some type of audio out, whether a mini-jack or RCA, just so I had a way to use headphones if I wanted to. Luckily I haven't used headphones too often, so it's not a big deal. And my TV has a mini-jack if I need to use it.

On the Dynamic IP thing, I know for sure I did a wrong character the first time I entered the password, so it may have been an issue, but I wouldn't have seen it since it failed for a different reason. I had some other appliance do the same kind of thing, I think it was a Toshiba HDDVD player, where it kinda had to do it a few times for it to stick.

post #59 of 231 Old 04-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Has anyone been able to update their unit yet? My 336 says it has an update available, but I get "Update Failed" trying to do it either over the network or via USB drive.
post #60 of 231 Old 04-11-2011, 01:04 PM

I have done 2 updates to my system with no problems it is just slow, but it is the 536 model. Yesterday I went to the premium apps to test the internet radio apps. I clicked on the v tuner and tested 4 of the internet radio channels and I got no sound. I had to exit back to the home display and try a DVD to check for sound, then i checked netflix okay and then I went back to v tuner and finally got sound. today I went to v tuner again and got sound except for the BBC station. Also 2 nites ago I went to watch Netflix and the LG tried to connect and then the display said no internet connection. I had to go into setup again and set up my wireless connection all over again with password and then I could watch netlflix. Has anyone else had this problem? I have also noticed that sometimes you have to push the buttons on the remote several times to get the system to respond.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Lg Brand , Lg , Blu Ray Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page