Bose acoustimass 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 02-06-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought a Bose Acoustimass 10 two days ago with an Onkyo tx-sr608 receiver and still didn't get them out of the box yet, I assumed that Bose are the best available in the market but now that I have gone through many reviews on the internet and more than 90% of them are criticizing the Bose systems in online forums (I guess I should have done that earlier!!!) honestly I became so frustrated before even trying it. I am not really worried about the receiver since I heard the Onkyo are really good products.

My question: is the Bose Acoustimass 10 really that bad? The reason I bought this system is I'm looking for quality sound for movies, music, games and PS3. What is your advice for me? Should I change the system with another model or just plug it and try it myself?

Thanks
Pro-People likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-06-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the link

for about the same amount i spent --> $1000

the size is 12Ft X 20 FT
post #3 of 15 Old 02-06-2011, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

well the size dosnt really matter, i can place them on the floor or on tables depending on the size, most important to me is the sound quality
post #4 of 15 Old 02-06-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd_AG View Post

well the size dosnt really matter, i can place them on the floor or on tables depending on the size, most important to me is the sound quality

Go to best buy and listen to the pioneer speaker set and Polk speaker set like(tsi400, and tsi100/200)
post #5 of 15 Old 02-07-2011, 03:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much
post #6 of 15 Old 02-07-2011, 10:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd_AG View Post

thanks for the link

for about the same amount i spent --> $1000

the size is 12Ft X 20 FT

you have a lot of options for $1000. Follow your own (wise) advice and research speakers; start by searching this forum. The Onkyo receiver is solid.

kirk

Nothing like doom metal in the morning to get you going
post #7 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 06:43 AM

While you can get individual speakers with high specs detail, in the end after combining all to produce surround sound, you will not get your desired quality of sound than bose. You won't get the right balance, either you will get too much bass with less highs or mids, or the other way around.  In the end you will always keep on tweaking adjustments everytime you play music, movies, games, etc.  In the overall, Bose is less hassle and is more better in sound quality. 

post #8 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 07:00 AM

Hi mgd.AG - You are in the right path.  Bose Acoustimass is the wise choice.  I sure you've heard the sound of it before you purchased.  Seldom you can see demos of other brands surround system in the store, its because they cannot match the tiny speakers it produce a balance sound on bose have.  If they have demos on the stores, they just put it on side or far away from boses so that people cannot easily compare it.  But if they put side by side with bose, you can easily hear the difference, even if you are blindfolded.  Somehow other brands can only better off bose acoustimass (many bose bashers say) because they are comparing it with bigger size speakers (not similar to the tiny cubes of bose).

post #9 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd_AG View Post

Hi mjd AG - if size doesn't matter to you, then look for other brands speakers with high end specs.  Say definitive technology, etc.

post #10 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Read this about Bose
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I would return the bose for something else.

How much you willing to spend?
Whats the size of your viewing room?

I read the link above, but it seem very bias in many ways and the writer is very deeply complaining and bashing about bose. It seem to me its very personal, not constructive.

post #11 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Even though this is 2 year old thread that you've brought to life again I'll throw in my $0.02 . Published specs are a good guide to go by but I wouldn't depend on them alone. You don't know how the specs were derived (anechoic chamber, testing conditions, etc), so hearing them before you purchase is always a good idea. Keep in mind that mfrs like Bose will sometimes have special demo tracks created to exaggerate the audio produced and it doesn't necessarily demonstrate what you will actually hear with your own source material. For the cost of the Bose Acoustimass 10, you could put together a much better system.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 10:59 AM
FMW
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-People View Post

I read the link above, but it seem very bias in many ways and the writer is very deeply complaining and bashing about bose. It seem to me its very personal, not constructive.

Yes but accurate. Bose is not only the worst of low end audio but it is the most expensive as well.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-14-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Two of these towers at $140ea
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS70BLK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S70-5-3-way-Floorstanding-Speakers-Each-Black/1.html

One pair of these bookshelf speakers at $170/pr
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS30BLK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S30-4-2-way-Bookshelf-Speakers-Pair-Black/1.html

And one center speaker at $150 ea
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/CAMBS50BLK/CAMBRIDGE-AUDIO-S50-4-3-Way-Center-Channel-Speaker-Black/1.html

Total is $600 shipped which leaves you $400 for a subwoofer. You can get this Bic PL200 sub for $280 by making an offer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIC-Acoustech-PL200-Subwoofer-NEW-MODEL-IS-HERE-PL-200-/140954790106

that'll leave you well over $100 for speaker wire, banana plugs or maybe stands.

And it'll blow the AM-10 away.

Afro GT
post #14 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW View Post

Yes but accurate. Bose is not only the worst of low end audio but it is the most expensive as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Read this about Bose
http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I would return the bose for something else.

How much you willing to spend?
Whats the size of your viewing room?

The link look like too good to be true,  presented many technicals but actually its not true.  Example, how come you will say cheap papercone driver that is easily damaged.  Look there are a lot of 35 years old bose speakers (ex 901, etc.) until now and they are still good performing even to this day, and if you look the cones inside still intact.  How come he say like that.

post #15 of 15 Old 11-28-2013, 03:20 AM

I have the same setup.

I always get lost in setting up the speaker configuration. Using Audessey mic for setup, it sets all speakers to 40 and subwoofer to 120, but make the subwoofer level to -15 and 5 meters (17 feet) away; although it is next to center speaker.

Is it okay to use it this way or better change this setting manually?

Low frequency lacks, I'm planning to get a separate subwoofer for deep bass.

Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page