PS3 & Onkyo HT-S3300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-24-2011, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'll say right out front I'm new to surround sound and the PS3. I've done a lot of googling about this problem, tried various settings, and attempted to fix this myself, but I"m just not having any luck.

I have a PS3 and an Onkyo HT-S3300 connected via an HDMI cable.

I have the PS3 set to Linear/PCM for BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI).

My problem is that I don't know what setting I'm supposed to use on my receiver so that I get full 5.1 out of BD and games on the PS3. I don't see the DTS lights or any other indication that 5.1 is active on the receiver display, and I can't determine whether I'm getting true 5.1 in the various modes or some fake attempt at upsampling 5.1 from 2 channels. No matter the mode, the only thing displayed on the receiver is "PCM".

I have the following options for modes on the Onkyo Receiver:

Direct
Mono
Multich
TV Logic
All Ch St
Full Mono
Theater-Dimensional

I know this is probably an idiotic problem, but I'm really at a loss and can't find any guides that specifically deal with this receiver and the input from a PS3.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-24-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Is it the "fat" PS3 (the one that came out before the thin ones)? The older PS3s decode the audio themselves, so you won't ever see DTS or Dolby TrueHD indicators because the Onkyo receiver doesn't know what it's getting other than decoded PCM (pulse code modulation), but it will be the 5.1 sound.

DTS and Dolby codecs are just ways to compress audio onto Blu-rays. They need to be decoded to PCM for the receiver to amplify them. It doesn't matter if the PS3 or the receiver does it.

The "slim" PS3s can send a raw bitstream for the receiver to decode, which would trip the DTS and Dolby indicators to display. This isn't an option on the old PS3s, but in the end, the sound is the same.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 5 Old 02-25-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, it is the fat one.

So its receiving PCM in 5.1 Still, I'm not clear on what the receiver should be set to.

Also, I noticed yesterday that the options I can cycle through for settings on the receiver change depending on the material on the PS3. For instance, when I was watching Netflix it gave me additional options of "Dolby PLII" and "Neo:Cinema6". The latter also lit the DTS light, oddly enough.
post #4 of 5 Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86smopuiM View Post

So its receiving PCM in 5.1 Still, I'm not clear on what the receiver should be set to.

Does it have just a plain PCM mode?

Quote:

Also, I noticed yesterday that the options I can cycle through for settings on the receiver change depending on the material on the PS3. For instance, when I was watching Netflix it gave me additional options of "Dolby PLII" and "Neo:Cinema6". The latter also lit the DTS light, oddly enough.

Most likely it's getting stereo from the Netflix feeds and expanding them out to 5.1 using the Dolby ProLogicII and DTS Neo6 modes. I'm not sure if the fat PS3s ever got the updates to get the full 5.1 Netflix feeds like the slim PS3s did.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 5 Old 02-26-2011, 07:56 PM

I have the same issue with my Onkyo 807. Set the Onkyo to Multichannel, that will give you the "true" 5.1 via the PS3.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page