5.1 Room 1+Stereo Room 2-For disabled person, must be userfriendly - HELP PLEASE! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I could really use some help... Ive spent hours looking for a solution and I am at a loss...

My sister is disabled (mentally impaired) and she is moving into a her own apparment and I want to offer her a home cinema system with a little twist, because she could never afford it herself.

What I would like to offer her is a system through which she can have 5.1 surround in the living room and stereo in the kitchen (speakers and wirering already in place in the kitchen). However, as she gets confused very easily, it has to be a very simple system. What I am looking for is an HTIB system with blu ray, radio etc. which will allow her to hear the same thing in the kitchen as in the living room (so no need for multiple source support), however, it must be possible to turn off the speakers in the kitchen.

The system has to be very very very userfriendly/simple as I live 1100Km (700 miles) away and cant just drop by if she gets confused or presses the wrong button.

The full requirements would be (preferably an all-in-one system):
- 5.1 in one room
- Stereo in a second room
- Stereo speaker must be able to be turned off
- Blu ray / DVD / CD Player
- Radio
- Speakers must be small and wall-mountable
- iPod dock would be nice but not a must

I have a budget of about 2000 (a couple of hundred more is do-able if really needed), but the budget also includes a 42" TV (I was thinking a pani- what do you think?), so the budget for the system would probably be about half the total budget.

If you do not know of a system that meets the requirements, but have an idea for a (very very) simple setup that could work, please feel free to post it.

Also, we live in Europe, so solutions the solutions need to be available in Europe.

My sisters life is music a movies, so I would really appreciate any advice you can give and I am sure she will too.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-18-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
my suggestion is to separate the music functions in each room. The reason is because the remote control for a receiver with 5.1 and a full Zone B stereo output is often very confusing, even to uber-geeks.

Find an all-in-one HTiB that will work for the TV room and a simple stereo shelf system to hook to the stereo speakers in the kitchen.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-18-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks, that is my backup plan but I would prefer it if she only had one system to understand.
I was thinking it may be possible to use a two-way speaker switch, feeding the front R and front L into it and then having it go out to the stereo speakers at the same time as front R and front L, then the kitchen speakers can just be turned off and there is only one system.
However, I dont know if that would work as I am not sure if it is only the center speaker (in a 5.1 system) that plays dialogue/music lyrics from a source that is made for 5.1. I tested it on my system and it seems that in some cases it is only the center that has dialogue, but not in all cases... am I mistaken or could a two-way speaker switch work?
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page