Old Big Speakers.. want to keep it simple - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2011, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm kinda lazy so today whenever we entertain and need music outside or big spaces is on a 20 year JVC system with giant 200watt speakers. We connect a little mp3 player via an audio jack. it works and actually sounds great. I know I should think about upgrading.

Anways, all my media iI own is digital on my windows 7 pro servers and we usually don't even listen to music other than from laptops in the house. My plan at some point is stream that music and other media through a DVD player. But we need more watts out than what our 42 inch Toshiba TV produces.

Noob question, Any way I can salvage those giant 200watt speakers and connect them to my TV. I tried once and got output but it sounded terrible.
I'm not looking to spend money on a surround sound or another audio system.

What do I need to be able to use my giant speakers through my DVD (to my windows media steaming) for music and eliminate my JVC system.

Toshiba Regza HDTV Flat screen is about 5 years old
JVC sound systemis about 25 year old. JVC speakers are like 3 feet tall. I forget if 100 or 200w each.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
the "watts each" does not really mean anything, that is a maximum input value. The JVC sound system is what produces the amplifier power to drive the speakers.

Does your Toshiba HDTV have a pair of analog "red/white" RCA connector audio outputs ?

If so, you can simply use a standard "red/white" RCA male to male audio cable to connect the TV output to the JVC which will power the speakers, just like you do with the MP3 player.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Won't you continue to need an amplifier to power your speakers? Or did I miss something...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Old 03-28-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 21
yes, the analog red/white output cables from the TV would connect to the "JVC sound system" red/white inputs. The JVC would still be the driving force (the amplifier) for the speakers.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter View Post

the "watts each" does not really mean anything, that is a maximum input value. The JVC sound system is what produces the amplifier power to drive the speakers.

Does your Toshiba HDTV have a pair of analog "red/white" RCA connector audio outputs ?

If so, you can simply use a standard "red/white" RCA male to male audio cable to connect the TV output to the JVC which will power the speakers, just like you do with the MP3 player.

Sorry about delayed response...

I'm looking for a simple solution. My Toshiba 40 inch flatscreen HD tv has a digital audio port. I have a Panasonic BD Blu Ray player and with a USB port and DLNA which we use to play music over the network through TV speakers. TV speakers are not enough.

Any way to hook up my big old JVC speakers to my TV witout the Tuner?
Are there any self contained speaker boxes I can hook up to the TV? Nothing with a another tunner or remote control?
How about a Soundbar or 2.1 system with no additional controller/tunner?

I'm just looking for a little better sound, nothing crazy or theater quality.

Many Thanks.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 202
As vanmeter has pointed out above, you will need an amplifier of some type (your JVC or another AV rec) to power your speakers. Your TV will not have adequate power to do so.
A soundbar would be one solution if you don't want the wires and speaker footprints... You can pick up a good sound bar for a couple hundred bucks. Make sure you get one that has a digital audio in...I bought a soundbar that was a "great deal" and sounded good, but didn't even check to see if it would connect to my bedroom TV set. So that good deal become not such a good deal when I had to buy a digital to analog device (another 50 bucks)...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub