Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekkerl View Post

Thank you crash...
Do you think it is possible to take the keyhole off and screw in a purchased bracket?

That's what I did. Just make sure if your new bracket leaves the screw holes uncovered from the OEM bracket, put the OEM screws back in to leave a sealed enclosure because I believe the screws do punch all the way through the back wood.

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #63 of 113 Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comma View Post

I'll add my two cents. Been running mine for a few days now. As far as sound goes, it's great! For $360 from amazon it's a killer deal and ideal for most people who can't afford a $2k system.

On the other hand, for other users, I have a few questions (I have a seperate thread on this but I figured I would put it here too).

Relating to the receiver:
Every once in a while it will have a physical "click" coming from the receiver (like the sound it makes when it's turned on or a channel/setting is switched). The clicking seems to be random, happens without me switching anything and sometimes happens when I'm watching tv, a movie, etc. It is only ever a single click.
Is this normal just due to the channels switching for different things or something I should be worried about?
I've read in other threads to switch all listening modes to "direct"...but that doesn't make any sense because then you can't get any surround sound...it's just direct out of the front speaker...

Also, I have a macbook hooked up to it via a converter and hdmi. It is plugged into the "bd dvd" slot. When I try to switch listening modes via the "movie/tv" button on the remote only a few are available (multichannel, all stereo, direct, and a couple more). If im watching cable, many more options under that same button are available such as dolby, plIIx movie, etc. Is that normal?

Please help

All in all, a so far so good setup

Pay attention to your sub levels when you hear the click. For me, the click is when the bass kicks in to its proper levels. This is a malfunction and my receiver is currently at a service center getting repaired because of it.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #64 of 113 Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 PM

Liked: 10
Does this system have the ability to manually sync the audio with the video in case of any audio lag? This is a must for me. Has anyone experiences any audio/video sync problems with their units?
post #65 of 113 Old 03-29-2012, 08:21 PM

nice!
post #66 of 113 Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopx View Post

i got mine last friday and hook it up with 14 AWG speaker wire from monoprice, sound quality is amazing on blurays thru HDMI, the only problem, the reciever doesnt support "Deep Color" on PS3, the screen flickers when i have it "ON". i never heard a drop sounds so far.

Hey Coopx,

Great to hear that you're using this receiver along with your PS3 since I plan on having a similar setup. Really interested in hearing more about your experience with your Onkyo (I'm looking at the S400 in particular) paired with the PS3.

I've heard a lot about HDMI compatibilities here; have you had any issues with the sound coming out of your Onkyo when connected to your PS3? Do you just run an HDMI into your Onkyo from the PS3 and then another HDMI from the Onkyo into the Television?

Would love to hear more about what you have going on, thanks.
post #67 of 113 Old 04-07-2012, 07:17 AM

Ok, I just got the s5400 and have been messing around for about 3 hrs last night. So far, everything seems to be working pretty well. The a/v sync from my cable box is slightly off. By the way it's slightly off on all my tv's. So it's not the s5400. I saw that the a/v sync on the s5400 only allows correction in 1 direction from 0 and up. I need to go in the other direction to minus 0. Does anyone know if I can do this on this with the onkyo receiver? Your comments are appreciated.
post #68 of 113 Old 04-13-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyT View Post

Ok, I just got the s5400 and have been messing around for about 3 hrs last night. So far, everything seems to be working pretty well. The a/v sync from my cable box is slightly off. By the way it's slightly off on all my tv's. So it's not the s5400. I saw that the a/v sync on the s5400 only allows correction in 1 direction from 0 and up. I need to go in the other direction to minus 0. Does anyone know if I can do this on this with the onkyo receiver? Your comments are appreciated.

I've only had mine for a week now, and have the same sync issue...
Unfortunatlly, I know I can do nothing to solve...
In my case the TV audio content, either from stream or tuner from the TV goes right to the speaker and out of the optical OUT of the TV to the optical IN of the Receiver...
Obvious time delay sending out, and/or Receiver receiving...
Cann't go -msecs, if nothing is there, and I also can not tell my TV to slow up on sending to the TV speaker, so for now I just mute the TV (video/sound sync is unnoticable)...
For what is is worth, I do know the delay feature of the Receiver works, as increasing the +msec will make the echo worse...
Maybe someone will respond that has a TV with ARC(hdmi) capability and possibly the hdmi return channel does not have a delay...
post #69 of 113 Old 04-15-2012, 02:41 PM

Hello,
I have had my s5400 hooked up for a couple days now. I have my ps3 and cable box running into it. I was curious what settings you guys use for both I have my ps3 setup on PLII X GAME and MONO for the cable box.
post #70 of 113 Old 04-27-2012, 09:36 AM

Does anyone have any idea why my sound drops in and out only when Im watching HD channels on Uverse? It doesnt do it when Im watching my regular non HD channels, nor while Im watching HD on Blu-Ray. It only seems to when watching HD channels. Any help would be appreciated.
post #71 of 113 Old 04-27-2012, 02:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

Pay attention to your sub levels when you hear the click. For me, the click is when the bass kicks in to its proper levels. This is a malfunction and my receiver is currently at a service center getting repaired because of it.

Oh, that's a malfunction, mine does the same thing. Do you know where I can find a place to repair it?
post #72 of 113 Old 05-08-2012, 03:31 AM

Hi guys, I was wondering what speaker stands you guys went with for the front and rear surrounds. Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.
post #73 of 113 Old 05-22-2012, 09:32 PM

So I'm thinking of upgrading from my logitech z-5450 to this and I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade. 7.1 sounds like I would get a better "experience" thus thinking of an upgrade. If there's not much of a difference between 5.1 and 7.1, any suggestions would be appreciated for a better "quality experience". That said I am on a budget and about $500 is my max.

My room is 8'x12' give or take a foot and I watch from my cable box, movies and gaming.

Thanks
post #74 of 113 Old 05-23-2012, 03:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by synical View Post

So I'm thinking of upgrading from my logitech z-5450 to this and I'm wondering if it's worth the upgrade. 7.1 sounds like I would get a better "experience" thus thinking of an upgrade. If there's not much of a difference between 5.1 and 7.1, any suggestions would be appreciated for a better "quality experience". That said I am on a budget and about $500 is my max.

My room is 8'x12' give or take a foot and I watch from my cable box, movies and gaming.

Thanks

I think for your situation the 5400 would be a great choice. Just buy new not refurbished.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #75 of 113 Old 05-23-2012, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HylianBowcaster View Post

Oh, that's a malfunction, mine does the same thing. Do you know where I can find a place to repair it?

Actually, I may have been wrong about that. I think it's just the way the receiver works.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #76 of 113 Old 06-04-2012, 08:46 AM

Hi, I just got an awesome deal on this unit refurb, at $180. I've set everything up last night but i'm having major issues.

I can't get anything to work properly.

My PC is the main source and picture displays fine, but there are only 8 supported sound codecs when this receiver is set as the sound output device, so nothing other than DTS, DOLBY codecs encoded in blueray, DVD formats will output any sounds to the speaker system. I tried different ports but it stays the same.

And for my cable box, its the opposite. Sound plays, no picture.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...TIA.
post #77 of 113 Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 PM

I purchased the monoprice speaker stands and they work great for the onkyo surround speakers. I think I spent under 20 bucks for each pair of stands. I use them on the rear and front highs. The stands work great and are stable with these speakers. They sit on a solid floor. No carpet. If you use these stands on a carpet you may need to add a piece of wood on the floor to keep them upright.
post #78 of 113 Old 07-24-2012, 10:31 PM

I just got my s5400 from amazon yesterday. My setup is a samsung 40" lcd tv,ps3 and comcast hd dvr box. Whats the best way to hook all of this up? How many hdmi cords do I need?
post #79 of 113 Old 07-25-2012, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

3 HDMI cords certified for 1.4a. One for the PS3, and one for the cable box. One going from the "HDMI Out" port on the receiver to the port on the TV that supports ARC (if your panel supports it, if not you'll have to run a separate audio cable, like an optical cable).

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #80 of 113 Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 AM

My nephew just picked this up and I'm trying to help him set it up are most of you leaving the xover at 100Hz?
post #81 of 113 Old 08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoady View Post

My nephew just picked this up and I'm trying to help him set it up are most of you leaving the xover at 100Hz?
I would advise your nephew to run Audessey and let it set the crossovers based on his speakers.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #82 of 113 Old 08-17-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

I would advise your nephew to run Audessey and let it set the crossovers based on his speakers.

Thanks I thought you had to set both speaker size and xover before you ran Audyssey so will follow your suggestion.
post #83 of 113 Old 08-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Just wanted to chime in here. Recently moved to a new house and decided to do a little upgrade on our home electronics.

I just purchased my Onkyo HT-S5400 from Amazon for $354.29. Hooked it up to my old 46" Samsung LN46C550. Currently using my PS3 as a Blu-Ray/DVD player.

This is an upgrade from my 10+ years old Aiwa AV-DV75 HTiB and while I really have no complaints with the older HTiB, the lack of HDMI ports was making it a pain to hookup all my components.

Back to the S5400, setup was super easy...just time consuming running all the speaker wires and making some adjustments to my entertainment center to accommodate all the wiring and receiver. I did use 16 gauge speaker wires as the color coded speaker wires that came with it were a joke.

I also set it up for 7.1 with high fronts instead of rears as my sofa is backed up to the rear wall. I used my old Videosecu speaker mounts to mount them.

Ran the Audyssey speaker calibration and everything sounds fantastic. For the price, I'm very pleased with the performance.

I'm not a hardcore AV phile, and I know there are a LOT of better systems out there, but I do appreciate a somewhat decent setup at a bargain price.

One question I have is do I have to have the receiver on if I just want to watch TV and use the TV's speakers? I have everything going to the receiver and a single HDMI going to the TV. Is the receiver smart enough to act as a pass through? Sorry if I don't have the terminology correct.

The cool thing about this new place is that in addition to the living room, this house also has a downstairs den. The above setup will mostly be used by the wife to watch all her reality shows (rolls eyes). We'll also use it for movies for now..... with a big stress on "for now"

The wife has given me the green light to spend a little money on setting up the den with a better system than what we currently have in our living room. I'll do more research on what to buy but it looks like I'll have about $2500 to spend on this endeavor. So not as to clutter this already large thread, I'll start my own later on.
post #84 of 113 Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelorian View Post

One question I have is do I have to have the receiver on if I just want to watch TV and use the TV's speakers? I have everything going to the receiver and a single HDMI going to the TV. Is the receiver smart enough to act as a pass through? Sorry if I don't have the terminology correct.

How do you watch tv, OTA/Cable/Sat? We use OTA and just have an optical cable out from the tv to the avr, and keep the tv speakers off all of the time. That way, we use the avr for movies, etc and when we want to watch tv, we just switch to the appropriate input (one button with a Harmony remote) and listen to discrete 5.1 OTA audio via the internal ATSC tuner.
post #85 of 113 Old 08-30-2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

How do you watch tv, OTA/Cable/Sat? We use OTA and just have an optical cable out from the tv to the avr, and keep the tv speakers off all of the time. That way, we use the avr for movies, etc and when we want to watch tv, we just switch to the appropriate input (one button with a Harmony remote) and listen to discrete 5.1 OTA audio via the internal ATSC tuner.

We have Comcast cable and I'm running HDMI from the cable box to the receiver. I was hoping that I would have the option to watch cable TV and use the TV speakers and not have to turn the receiver on. Not a huge deal, but sometimes when the kids are watching TV we don't really need the surround.
post #86 of 113 Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 PM

Liked: 14
hi I am Bob a new guy here and i just bought the ht-s5400 for a home theatre room i am building. it will be a dedicated room in the basement and its about 12 x 15, I am new to all of this and havent had a real sound system since college back in the 70s...any way i am hoping this old dog can still learn a few new tricks....after having read just about every thing i can on the rear surround vs front height i am still not sure which way to go, although I am leaning towards front height. What i dont understand is how does the receiver know to use the different speakers? i understand the audessy set up proceedures but does the input source automatically control where the sounds come from or does the receiver decode and use all the speakers whether its rear surround or front height?

i guess i want to make sure that i choose the speaker set up that will give me the most overall use.

thks Bob
post #87 of 113 Old 08-31-2012, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet View Post

hi I am Bob a new guy here and i just bought the ht-s5400 for a home theatre room i am building. it will be a dedicated room in the basement and its about 12 x 15, I am new to all of this and havent had a real sound system since college back in the 70s...any way i am hoping this old dog can still learn a few new tricks....after having read just about every thing i can on the rear surround vs front height i am still not sure which way to go, although I am leaning towards front height. What i dont understand is how does the receiver know to use the different speakers? i understand the audessy set up proceedures but does the input source automatically control where the sounds come from or does the receiver decode and use all the speakers whether its rear surround or front height?

i guess i want to make sure that i choose the speaker set up that will give me the most overall use.

thks Bob
You choose what the receiver does. For instance, if you're listening to 2 track stereo, and you select the "direct" listening mode on your Onkyo receiver, it will play on the two main L/R fronts. If you wish to decode to all 7 channels, select PLIIx or PLIIz (depending on if you're using rear surround or front high). For BD audio like DTS MASTER, etc, it will utilize all seven channels automatically.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #88 of 113 Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelorian View Post

We have Comcast cable and I'm running HDMI from the cable box to the receiver. I was hoping that I would have the option to watch cable TV and use the TV speakers and not have to turn the receiver on. Not a huge deal, but sometimes when the kids are watching TV we don't really need the surround.

Could you connect the Comcast cable to the tv directly (the Cable/OTA input) and then optical out to the AVR? When watching cable you could turn off the audio out on the tv and turn the tv speakers on. If you wanted to watch a movie in 5.1 from Comcast, you could do the opposite. Turn off the tv speakers and run the audio out via optical to the AVR.
post #89 of 113 Old 08-31-2012, 04:40 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

You choose what the receiver does. For instance, if you're listening to 2 track stereo, and you select the "direct" listening mode on your Onkyo receiver, it will play on the two main L/R fronts. If you wish to decode to all 7 channels, select PLIIx or PLIIz (depending on if you're using rear surround or front high). For BD audio like DTS MASTER, etc, it will utilize all seven channels automatically.

thanks so does this mean that the receiver will sense a special code on some DVDs and automatically override my selected default settings?

thks i appreciate the help, bob
post #90 of 113 Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Could you connect the Comcast cable to the tv directly (the Cable/OTA input) and then optical out to the AVR? When watching cable you could turn off the audio out on the tv and turn the tv speakers on. If you wanted to watch a movie in 5.1 from Comcast, you could do the opposite. Turn off the tv speakers and run the audio out via optical to the AVR.

I think that would do the trick. Will try it out. Thanks for the suggestion.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Onkyo Ht S5400 7 1 Channel Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S5400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page