post #91 of 113 Old 09-09-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelorian View Post

One question I have is do I have to have the receiver on if I just want to watch TV and use the TV's speakers? I have everything going to the receiver and a single HDMI going to the TV. Is the receiver smart enough to act as a pass through? Sorry if I don't have the terminology correct.

Hi Jelorian, this receiver has HDMI Through feature found under "HDMI Setup" menu (option are: Off, Auto, Select Input and Last).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 09-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Jelorian, this receiver has HDMI Through feature found under "HDMI Setup" menu (option are: Off, Auto, Select Input and Last).

Thanks JChin.

I guess I need to RTFM. smile.gif

Cheers!

Jel
post #93 of 113 Old 09-10-2012, 01:26 PM

Liked: 14
we have comcrap and i dont see why you cant just have both hooked up.....and use the TV input to toggle back and forth between either a component , coaxial feed or the HDMI feed.
post #94 of 113 Old 09-17-2012, 03:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet View Post

we have comcrap and i dont see why you cant just have both hooked up.....and use the TV input to toggle back and forth between either a component , coaxial feed or the HDMI feed.

why cant you?
post #95 of 113 Old 09-18-2012, 04:08 PM

you could do this but dont need to, the bypass feature works pretty well, my HD cable box with HDMI output doesnt have a coaxial cable out only HDMI and component.
post #96 of 113 Old 10-15-2012, 12:27 PM

Audyssey sound set up.....well I think I made friends with the set up process and I must say its pretty impressive. I had to trick the system a little bit to bring the center channel up to a comfortable listening level for me. I attribute this to my hearing flaws not the systems. when I ran the Audyssey setup it kept giving me a -db level on the ctr channel. I would have to go to "HOME" each time I turned the system on and manually turn it up and I couldnt figure out a way to permanently save the setting . Not really a big deal but I wanted it to be so my wife or kids didnt have to adjust it. So I spent sunday morning tyring different tricks to get the system to give me a 0db or a slight +db. I discovered that a towel folded over the center speaker 3 times when the speaker was turned away from the listening area gave the perfect center channel "gain" after the complete set up process was complete. I think it is either a 0db or a +1 db, I did it so many times in experimenting i cant remember the final out come..... I also have the dynamic control on "light" and it seems to be a really good. funny thing was 4 towel folds would give me an "error" reading but to the listening ear i really couldnt hear a difference
post #97 of 113 Old 10-15-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs77vet View Post

I would have to go to "HOME" each time I turned the system on and manually turn it up and I couldnt figure out a way to permanently save the setting.

Hi bobs77vet, the "Home" Audio menu adjustment are only temporary settings. You need to go into the Setup Menu > Level Calibration for the center changes to be permanent.
post #98 of 113 Old 10-16-2012, 07:33 AM

Thks JChin I will try and see if I can find that, I would like to see what the other settings are. thks bob
post #99 of 113 Old 11-22-2012, 10:32 PM

so what is the final word on these receivers cutting out?

The 5400 is 260$ for accessories4less black Friday deals. I can hardly stop myself from buying this for my first home theater system ever. but I really dont want to have to send this back. The model that is 260 is refurbished so does that increase my chances of having a model that is up to date and working?

any last comments to either make me want to buy this more or should i be looking elsewhere?

Thanks
post #100 of 113 Old 11-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethesnake125 View Post

so what is the final word on these receivers cutting out?
The 5400 is 260$ for accessories4less black Friday deals. I can hardly stop myself from buying this for my first home theater system ever. but I really dont want to have to send this back. The model that is 260 is refurbished so does that increase my chances of having a model that is up to date and working?
any last comments to either make me want to buy this more or should i be looking elsewhere?
Thanks
All I can say is that I am quite pleased with my 5400 system in the master bedroom.

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #101 of 113 Old 11-24-2012, 12:06 AM

I bought it when I was wasted drunk. so hopefully all works out. accessorizes for less I got it for $26.00 plus three free ten foot HDMI cables, 30 ft 14 gauge speaker wire and 15ft sub wire i think its the best deal out there for this system. the thing is shipping is 57$ for shipping. if this system ****s up I will be so pissed. I dont have money for shipping back to the comany. I am just a college kid hoping to be able to have the best system without killing my bank account. I just wanna get drunk and lysen to loud music. thats it. I'll post a review when I get it hopefully get it wednessday and review by saturday
post #102 of 113 Old 11-28-2012, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I bought it when I was wasted drunk. so hopefully all works out. accessorizes for less I got it for $26.00 plus three free ten foot HDMI cables, 30 ft 14 gauge speaker wire and 15ft sub wire i think its the best deal out there for this system. the thing is shipping is 57$ for shipping. if this system ****s up I will be so pissed. I dont have money for shipping back to the comany. I am just a college kid hoping to be able to have the best system without killing my bank account. I just wanna get drunk and lysen to loud music. thats it. I'll post a review when I get it hopefully get it wednessday and review by saturday

I've had this system since February; first in the living room, now in the master bedroom. If you're setting it up in a dorm room, you'll be happy. It will get loud and a room that size should sound just fine with that sub. Just make sure you set your gain properly, not just crank it up and hope for the best. And run Audessey full version, not quick setup and make sure all background noise is down as much as possible. All Channel Stereo is a great listening mode to rock out to!

Another good thing about this system is that the receiver is beefy enough for you to upgrade to bigger, better speakers in the future, if you get the bug...

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #103 of 113 Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Hopefully he doesn't live in a dorm cause I'm sure the people who room around him won't appreciate it when he goes on one his drunken binges and cranks up the volume.
post #104 of 113 Old 11-30-2012, 02:21 PM

alright I got it and the first thing I'm noticing is that I didn't receive a S5400. the receiver says HT-R 590 the sub is a skw 580 and the other speakers are skf/skc 59 with the last digit blacked out.
so should i be concerned or is this simply a model that has all the same specs as the S5400 that I ordered?

So I hooked it up quick to see if it worked and so far so good. then I started using the 14 gauge wire that i got for free. I hooked up the right speaker and the right surround speaker with the 14 gauge. then i ran to radio shack to get more. ended up buying 16 gauge and wired the rest. is this a problem? half of the speakers are wired with 14 gauge and half with 16 gauge.

I ran the
audessy auto calibration and its sounding really good. so far I have not hooked up the 7.1 speakers but i am planning on mounted them in front high up. since that is a good option for someone who doesn't have any space behind there seating right? will the audessy calibration fix any problems that the different gauge wire could cause?

what do you mean by set your gains? is this the sub level? like the plus and minus button on the front of the receiver?

room.jpg 51k .jpg file room is about 14x14
this is my current set up. the surrounds are hung on the wall with a nail and so they are angled directly away from the wall. is this ok? any other comments/ advice on this set up?

also what is the panorama setting? should I have this on? I cant deiced what sounds best on or off.

Thanks guys I really appreciate your help!

Ps. first night using this the neighbor girl came over to ask us to turn it down. lucky for us she was in just a robe! lol
post #105 of 113 Old 11-30-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:

alright I got it and the first thing I'm noticing is that I didn't receive a S5400. the receiver says HT-R 590 the sub is a skw 580 and the other speakers are skf/skc 59 with the last digit blacked out.
so should i be concerned or is this simply a model that has all the same specs as the S5400 that I ordered?

HT-S5400 is simply the designation of the home theater model that contains the components you mentioned. Everyone who has an HT-S5400 will have an HT-R590 receiver as part of the set.
Quote:
So I hooked it up quick to see if it worked and so far so good. then I started using the 14 gauge wire that i got for free. I hooked up the right speaker and the right surround speaker with the 14 gauge. then i ran to radio shack to get more. ended up buying 16 gauge and wired the rest. is this a problem? half of the speakers are wired with 14 gauge and half with 16 gauge.

Probably won't hurt anything, but you should probably upgrade to 16 gauge everywhere (something I myself haven't done yet).
Quote:
I ran the audessy auto calibration and its sounding really good. so far I have not hooked up the 7.1 speakers but i am planning on mounted them in front high up. since that is a good option for someone who doesn't have any space behind there seating right? will the audessy calibration fix any problems that the different gauge wire could cause?

I don't think Audessey will do any compensation for the wire you're using, not that I'd imagine it'd matter much anyways, but if I remember correctly, it should be able to configure specifically for PLIIz Height (the setting for speakers up front high).
Quote:
what do you mean by set your gains? is this the sub level? like the plus and minus button on the front of the receiver?

I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking the sub gain is the knob on the back of the sub.
Quote:
this is my current set up. the surrounds are hung on the wall with a nail and so they are angled directly away from the wall. is this ok?

I'm pretty sure its best if the speakers are flat and are not angled at all. My two front highs are also wall mounted with nails and its no problem to ensure they're flat against the wall.
Quote:
also what is the panorama setting? should I have this on? I cant deiced what sounds best on or off.

According to the guide Panorama mode is "...to broaden the width of the front stereo image when using the Dolby Pro Logic IIx Music listening mode." I'm guessing if you're not using Pro Logic IIx you probably don't want it on.
Quote:
Thanks guys I really appreciate your help!
Ps. first night using this the neighbor girl came over to ask us to turn it down. lucky for us she was in just a robe! lol

There are a couple settings like Dynamic Volume, and Late Night Function that you may find useful for keeping quiet and loud scenes in tv shows, commercials, movies, etc. a little more even so you don't wake the neighbors. If you haven't yet, I highly suggest reading the manual. I know its kind of boring, but you'll find your system can do quite a few cool things you might not have thought of.
post #106 of 113 Old 12-01-2012, 11:39 PM

I'm pretty sure mine didn't come with a manual which is pretty frustrating! couple more questions for you guys!

these receivers are notorious for heating up and I noticed mine is definitely getting pretty warm and i haven't really put it though any good tests playing loud music for any long amount of time. would this laptop cooler placed on top of the receiver work to help cool it?

I think these laptop coolers blow air up into the computer that sits on top of it. so if I place it on the receiver it should suck the air out of the top of the receiver right?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834980010

ok this is a dumb question but im going to ask anyways.
say I'm trying to connect a droid phone such as Samsung galaxy S3 to this receiver via auxiliary cord..... where is the auxiliary port on this thing? im getting the feeling it doesn't have one and that kinda blows my mind.

ok so dynamic volume. isn't this for when a loud commercial comes on it will recognize it and automatically level out the sound so its more normal volume. seems like when i turn this on it just lowers the volume all the time making me just have to turn it up more, but i have not played with this all too much. right now its on set to 'light'
post #107 of 113 Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure mine didn't come with a manual which is pretty frustrating! couple more questions for you guys!

You can find a copy of the guide online on Onkyo's website http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S5400&class=Systems&p=d
Quote:
these receivers are notorious for heating up and I noticed mine is definitely getting pretty warm and i haven't really put it though any good tests playing loud music for any long amount of time. would this laptop cooler placed on top of the receiver work to help cool it?
I think these laptop coolers blow air up into the computer that sits on top of it. so if I place it on the receiver it should suck the air out of the top of the receiver right?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834980010

All receivers get warm. Just don't put a bunch of stuff on top of of it and you should be okay. I wouldn't put a laptop cooler on top of a receiver.
Quote:
ok this is a dumb question but im going to ask anyways.
say I'm trying to connect a droid phone such as Samsung galaxy S3 to this receiver via auxiliary cord..... where is the auxiliary port on this thing? im getting the feeling it doesn't have one and that kinda blows my mind.

The Aux inputs are on the front of the receiver below the volume knob.
Quote:
ok so dynamic volume. isn't this for when a loud commercial comes on it will recognize it and automatically level out the sound so its more normal volume. seems like when i turn this on it just lowers the volume all the time making me just have to turn it up more, but i have not played with this all too much. right now its on set to 'light'

Yep, dynamic volume simply adjusts the audio so that nothing's too loud or too quiet. If you don't like it, don't use it, but I thought it'd be helpful if you wanted to keep the volume output level without waking the neighbors.
post #108 of 113 Old 12-08-2012, 03:56 PM

my receiver has just dropped the 7.1 capabilities and the dolby prologic ll has disappeared although it comes back every once and a while.....has this happened to others? thks bob
post #109 of 113 Old 12-09-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

The Onkyo's have had a lot of issues reported this year. You might want to do a search to see if there was any resolution other than sending back for service.
post #110 of 113 Old 12-09-2012, 02:46 PM

i have been googling in the dark trying to find a solution.....are there any paticular websites that better then others for finding a cure? although it has let me fully explore all 5.1 options with the equipment.....thks bob
post #111 of 113 Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

If memory serves me correctly, the only fix was to send it in for repairs. I'd check the obvious like cables, cable connectors, etc.
post #112 of 113 Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 372
It's been a while since anyone posted here, but I have a quick question regarding this receiver. I bought this as the HTiB package over a year ago and have been more than happy with it. However I have decided I want to upgrade my speakers. Now being pretty noobish with this stuff still, I want to be sure what I'm going to do will work. Now I'm not spending money at all, but I am going to be getting the yamaha ns-c444 and a set of ns-333(brand new and basically free) to replace my CRL setup that came with the package. But I want to use the current RL speakers to be used as my RL surrounds as they are bigger and louder. Is this something that is doable with this receiver? Thanks for any and all help.

P.S. My speaker orientation is 7.1 with my 6&7 as front highs. The only way my living room will allow.

Onkyo TX-NR929, QSC GX5, Polk Audio RtiA9's, CsiA6, F/XiA6's, RtiA3's,PSA xs30se, Xbox 360, PS3, hopper w/Sling, Samsung 55" LED, All controlled with a Harmony One
post #113 of 113 Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ you'll probably get better responses, and advice, if you take your question to the Speaker forum.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Onkyo Ht S5400 7 1 Channel Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S5400 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page