Onkyo HT-S5400 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 113 Old 03-20-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at this new unit. Worth it at $500 or wait for last years models to drop? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 113 Old 03-21-2011, 09:26 AM

anybody know what advantages are? (from s5300)
from reading i dont see alot... but im just a newbie

im also looking forward to buy s5300... but had a second thought after seeing this model
post #3 of 113 Old 03-22-2011, 06:09 PM

http://xxx.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20005751

Feature wise, there really isn't much a difference. If anything, the older (current) model has more power (watts)...

5300: 1200W - 290W sub
5400: 680W - 120W sub

...I've been thinking about picking up the 5300. Amazon has it at a good price and I don't see it going any lower.
post #4 of 113 Old 03-22-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGamer View Post

http://xxx.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20005751

Feature wise, there really isn't much a difference. If anything, the older (current) model has more power (watts)...

5300: 1200W - 290W sub
5400: 680W - 120W sub

...I've been thinking about picking up the 5300. Amazon has it at a good price and I don't see it going any lower.

The power claim is false

The 5300 is measured in 6ohms where the 5400 is in 8ohms... Additionally the power is measure differently and in a slightly more accurate way with the 5400

Also the speakers with the 5300 are the same speakers that the 5400 comes with.

The only feature at brief glance was that the 5400 has a USB port for ipod hookup

5400 comes with the Audyssey auto calibration mic the 5300 does not
post #5 of 113 Old 03-24-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

The power claim is false

The 5300 is measured in 6ohms where the 5400 is in 8ohms... Additionally the power is measure differently and in a slightly more accurate way with the 5400

Also the speakers with the 5300 are the same speakers that the 5400 comes with.

The only feature at brief glance was that the 5400 has a USB port for ipod hookup

5400 comes with the Audyssey auto calibration mic the 5300 does not

Lets drop the word "power" for a sec to clarify... are you saying the watts I posted are false?

Because I was strictly referring to the watts (hence why I put it in parentheses).
post #6 of 113 Old 03-24-2011, 07:58 PM

I just posted a thread on this but Frys has the 5300 on sale for 299!
post #7 of 113 Old 03-24-2011, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGamer View Post

Lets drop the word "power" for a sec to clarify... are you saying the watts I posted are false?

Because I was strictly referring to the watts (hence why I put it in parentheses).

I am saying the Onkyo lies about their watt output like many others but more so with the budget receivers.

Also comparing the specs side by side Onkyo measured their watts differently with both receivers.

The 5300 is at 6ohms with one channel driven, 0.8% THD at 1k Hz

the 5400 is at 8ohms with 2 channels driven, 0.7% THD 20Hz-20k Hz

So your assumption that the 5300 is more powerful is wrong cause they list the power differently... Its all in the details so examine things closely. There is actually no difference in the watts or power output
post #8 of 113 Old 04-19-2011, 06:50 PM

Liked: 11
I was going to start a thread on this, but since there's already one here... I ordered the S5400 off of Amazon yesterday. Waiting for it to ship. This is my first home theater surround setup in years, so I'm not much of an expert on what to and not to expect, but I'll give a bit of a "new user's - ease of use" sort of review when I do.
post #9 of 113 Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post

I was going to start a thread on this, but since there's already one here... I ordered the S5400 off of Amazon yesterday. Waiting for it to ship. This is my first home theater surround setup in years, so I'm not much of an expert on what to and not to expect, but I'll give a bit of a "new user's - ease of use" sort of review when I do.

Please do post your review. I am looking at this model for my first surround as well so I am curious if it is easy to set up and calibrate with the audyssey.

post #10 of 113 Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittletank View Post

Please do post your review. I am looking at this model for my first surround as well so I am curious if it is easy to set up and calibrate with the audyssey.

The Audyssey feature was one of things that sold me on it, that, and the price at Amazon with free shipping wasn't too bad either. Its currently cheaper than the S5300 at Amazon, Newegg, and a number of other places right now. I'm assuming that's because businesses are trying to push out the newer product. Anyways, I'll certainly post up the review when its here.
post #11 of 113 Old 04-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Anyone get the 5400 yet?

post #12 of 113 Old 04-28-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Anyone get the 5400 yet?

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow. Admittedly, I don't have much experience reviewing these type of units.
post #13 of 113 Old 04-28-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:

Anyone get the 5400 yet?

I got mine a couple days ago (UPS kept dodging me), problem is, I haven't been able to mess with it much yet because I just RMA'd my projector which was my primary video source, and without that its hard to tweak the stereo settings.

It was pretty simple to set up though. All of the speakers are labeled, the cables are color coded, and there are corresponding color codes on the receiver. The subwoofer is huge. Figuring out where to put it is probably the hardest part of setting the system up. It probably took me over and hour to set everything up, but I was taking my time, and trying to figure out how to position everything. I'm actually setting it up for 5.1 rather than 7.1 for now because of space constrictions...

So far I was only able to mess around with the settings a bit before I RMA'd the projector. My source is a PC. I have DVI from the video card going to a DVI/HDMI cable to the receiver, and an optical cable from the PC to the receiver for sound. Clicking on the Settings button on the remote brings up a menu on the screen that allowed me to choose an optical audio source while keeping the video source the same (I was confused about how that would all work, but its easy enough). The settings menu shows a lot of calibration that can be done, but it all looks pretty well laid out.
I didn't get to mess with the Audyssey stuff which I was looking forward to.

There's a USB port on the front of the receiver for an ipod/phone/pad. I probably won't be using it much, but I plugged in my iPhone to see what its all about, and its pretty neat I guess. Don't think its really necessary, but still, pretty cool.

From what little I've heard so far, it sounds very nice (for a novice anyways), but I know my current configuration is jacked up. One little odd thing... for some reason I had to reverse the positive and negative cables on one of the surround speakers in order to get sound out of it. Really weird.

Other than that I don't think I have much more to say yet. I'll probably have more in a couple weeks.
post #14 of 113 Old 04-30-2011, 11:56 AM

Hi All,
I got 5400 unit last week and have a bit of frustration.

first good stuff - excellent unit in looks, aesthetics. Sound is great for me. I had a Aiwa system (14 year old before but made in USA!). Putting a makeover in HT, samsung 2011 LED TV, Panasonic blu ray also 2011 model.

The 5400 was big, but easy to setup. I have blu ray connected to receiver through HDMI, and receiver to TV. The receiver recognizes blu ray and sets Dolby digital +, 5.1. The sound is looking great and suddenly the audio drop out. The HDMI on receiver flashes. Is it the handshake causing it.

Did a google search "onkyo audio dropout" there are thousands of search results. The problem is severe at times, dropping continuously every 5 minutes for 30 minutes and then fine for an hour. It is very annoying when it happens. What could be the solution? Called onkyo customer support. they are the worst and does not even ant to help.

I am using high speed HDMI cable from amazon. Trying to change cable tomorrow, but I am overall disappointed with receiver's reliability.

any pointers? (this problem is present in 5300 thread also). OI thought they fixed it
post #15 of 113 Old 05-14-2011, 09:24 PM

I've had more opportunity to listen to the S5400 now that I've got my projector back. The audio sounds great. Got to play some Blurays and some 5.1 audio. Using the Audyssey feature was easy enough, and sounds pretty good to my ears, but like iowa pointed out, I'm noticing audio drops too. I'm using optical rather than hdmi for audio, and didn't hear the first drop till some hours into a "24" Netflix marathon. The audio dropped for only a millisecond, and I thought maybe it was just a Netflix glitch. It dropped again later in the same episode and once again in another episode. Next up I played a couple of albums on my HTPC, and again heard the audio drop at least once in both albums, and again only for a millisecond. The receiver doesn't feel that hot, but its very likely the drops I'm hearing are from overheating... the system has been on for well over 8 hours now, with no apparent issues before the first drop, so I'm sure that's it.

If I find the drops are consistent and not due to prolonged use, I'll be contacting Onkyo's support and/or returning the system.
post #16 of 113 Old 05-15-2011, 08:15 AM

Liked: 13
I was really hoping to pick up this item but there's no way I can do that with the current audio dropout issues
post #17 of 113 Old 05-15-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

I was really hoping to pick up this item but there's no way I can do that with the current audio dropout issues

Well, like I said, I noticed the dropouts after extended use. In comparison, most of the dropouts I've heard about for the S5300 here and at Amazon were from folks using HDMI for audio and the dropouts were somewhat lengthy. I'm not yet convinced that I'm experiencing the exact same issue, it just happens to be somewhat similar. I really haven't had much time with the receiver yet, but I'll give an update in a week or two if I notice it's more consistent. Of course, you may want to go with another product altogether anyways just to be safe, and that's totally understandable.
post #18 of 113 Old 05-22-2011, 09:37 AM

Just wanted to report in since its been about a week, and I haven't really had any issues since my last posting.

I'm now beginning to think that the drop-outs I heard may not have been due to overheating, but were possibly the result of a loose optical cable connection that I've since fixed. As I noted before, sound quality is great (to me) with movies and music. I think I may have heard a little bit of clipping on one recording, but that may have been due to the quality of the recording rather than the system. Overall I'm very satisfied. I'll be upgrading to HDMI for audio next week, so if I notice any change in quality or what not, I'll report back.
post #19 of 113 Old 05-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Hi dude, i'd like to buy this unit with in couple of days, but my question is to know about the difference between the subwoofer of HTS 5300 and HTS 5400.Would it be more power full than 5300 or little less? because i'm more concerned about thundering bass as you have mentioned in your earlier post. your comments are highly appreciated
post #20 of 113 Old 05-24-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran076 View Post

Hi dude, i'd like to buy this unit with in couple of days, but my question is to know about the difference between the subwoofer of HTS 5300 and HTS 5400.Would it be more power full than 5300 or little less? because i'm more concerned about thundering bass as you have mentioned in your earlier post. your comments are highly appreciated

Howdy Kiran,

I haven't done any direct comparisons between the S5300 and S5400 so I may not be the best one to answer that question, but crazyrob425 makes the point earlier in this thread that power output is essentially the same between the two models. For my needs, living in a small apartment with one neighbor to the side, its plenty powerful enough, and then some.

The subwoofer has a volume dial on the back of it. You can also adjust volume with the remote in a category called "Level Cal" (calibration) which seems to refer to the distance in feet from the listener, but can be used to tweak the volume level for each speaker. I let Audyssey calibrate this for me, and it sounds great. One of the features of Audyssey is something called Audyssey Dynamic EQ which essentially maintains bass and surround sound even when you have the volume set low, which is great at night when I don't want to wake my neighbors.

So, all in all, it seems to me that bass doesn't thunder unless you want it to.
post #21 of 113 Old 05-24-2011, 10:00 PM

Thank you adrift.. will let you know as soon as i end up with this unit.
post #22 of 113 Old 05-26-2011, 06:04 AM

Hi Rob, i have an idea of getting onkyo 5400, can i go for this product? and second thing is i would like to know the difference between the subwoofer of 5400 and 5300,does the 5400 can produce thundering bass.. thanks in advance.
post #23 of 113 Old 08-17-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Just wanted to report in since its been about a week, and I haven't really had any issues since my last posting.

I'm now beginning to think that the drop-outs I heard may not have been due to overheating, but were possibly the result of a loose optical cable connection that I've since fixed. As I noted before, sound quality is great (to me) with movies and music. I think I may have heard a little bit of clipping on one recording, but that may have been due to the quality of the recording rather than the system. Overall I'm very satisfied. I'll be upgrading to HDMI for audio next week, so if I notice any change in quality or what not, I'll report back.

Any updates on the sound quality when using HDMI?

post #24 of 113 Old 08-17-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopx View Post

Any updates on the sound quality when using HDMI?

Sorry about that. The sound quality is wonderful with HDMI. The only issues I've experienced have been from on my HTPC's video/sound card, but those are all resolved now. I haven't heard a single drop out since swapping from the optical to the HDMI, and I truly believe that my initial issue was simply caused by a loose connection. I've since integrated an analog turntable to the mix, and that worked out great as well. No problems at all.

I do want to point out though, that Onkyo recently had a large recall on the sub-woofer for a few of their models including this one and the S5300s. But I haven't had any need for it yet.
post #25 of 113 Old 08-18-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Sorry about that. The sound quality is wonderful with HDMI. The only issues I've experienced have been from on my HTPC's video/sound card, but those are all resolved now. I haven't heard a single drop out since swapping from the optical to the HDMI, and I truly believe that my initial issue was simply caused by a loose connection. I've since integrated an analog turntable to the mix, and that worked out great as well. No problems at all.

I do want to point out though, that Onkyo recently had a large recall on the sub-woofer for a few of their models including this one and the S5300s. But I haven't had any need for it yet.

Thank you for your response, I actullay recieving mine today from Amazon, hopefully this are the units thats already been updated prior to the recall.

one more question, whats the reason for the recall?

post #26 of 113 Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopx View Post

Thank you for your response, I actullay recieving mine today from Amazon, hopefully this are the units thats already been updated prior to the recall.

Sounds good. Tell us what you think.

Quote:

one more question, whats the reason for the recall?

This is the official reason from the statement Onkyo released:

Sub-Woofer Speaker Driver Replacement Program
07/19/11 - Onkyo USA has determined that there is a high probability that the voice coil of certain subwoofers in the Home Theater and Speaker systems listed below may open; consequently, the subwoofer will stop functioning.

For our valued customers, Onkyo USA has a speaker driver replacement program for the affected subwoofers. It is important that you check the model and serial number of your subwoofer.

Please click on the following link for more infomation on whether your subwoofer is eligible.
http://www.onkyousa.com/001_modelreturn_entertype.cfm

If you are eligible for this program, an Independent Onkyo Regional Service Center will send you material and instructions to return your subwoofer.

You can also contact Onkyo USA Customer Support during normal customer support hours (M-F 9am-8pm and Sat-Sun 10am-4pm ET) to see if your subwoofer falls under this speaker driver replacement program. Call toll free 1-855-460-1618 or local (201)785-2654.
post #27 of 113 Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

I am saying the Onkyo lies about their watt output like many others but more so with the budget receivers.

Also comparing the specs side by side Onkyo measured their watts differently with both receivers.

The 5300 is at 6ohms with one channel driven, 0.8% THD at 1k Hz

the 5400 is at 8ohms with 2 channels driven, 0.7% THD 20Hz-20k Hz

So your assumption that the 5300 is more powerful is wrong cause they list the power differently... Its all in the details so examine things closely. There is actually no difference in the watts or power output

which sound better bet the two in playing musics in stereo mode?
post #28 of 113 Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjefferson View Post

which sound better bet the two in playing musics in stereo mode?

the difference in sound between the two receivers will be due to the speakers more than anything.

Afro GT
post #29 of 113 Old 08-24-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

the difference in sound between the two receivers will be due to the speakers more than anything.

I see, so basically the two receivers are identical in producing sound quality. i recently replace my front speaker with rti a1, huge improvement in SQ!

my second step is to have an integrated stereo amp and hook it to zone2 line out for dedicated music playing.
post #30 of 113 Old 08-26-2011, 11:22 AM

i got mine last friday and hook it up with 14 AWG speaker wire from monoprice, sound quality is amazing on blurays thru HDMI, the only problem, the reciever doesnt support "Deep Color" on PS3, the screen flickers when i have it "ON". i never heard a drop sounds so far.

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Onkyo Ht S5400 7 1 Channel Home Theater System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page