If I buy a BluRay Home Theater System do I get rid of my receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 05-28-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jmsnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I currently have a Kenwood Receiver that is about 10 years old but it works for me. Pre-HDMI so no HDMI connections though it does have optical audio but I primarily use RCA cables with it.

Currently connected to it are: (I know - pretty old school)-
  • Sony CD Changer
  • Sony HD Radio (not currently using the onboard Kenwood tuner)
  • Audio (3.5mm to composite) from my HTPC)
  • Sometimes I connect my Android phone (3.5mm to composite) to play mp3 and Pandora
  • VCR/DVD Player (I know, no one uses tapes anymore - I barely use it)

So I am considering the SC-BTT770, 3D Bluray with speaker system.

I do not think this player has an analog 3.5mm or composite inputs whatsoever.

It has a built in radio (assuming non HD radio) so I can sell my HD radio on craigslist.

The DVD/VCR I hardly use, and since the Bluray will play DVDs and CDs, I can bury it in my console and connect it to tv directly should I ever need to view a tape - which I know, I should just put them all on DVD and be done. That may be a summer project.

I am assuming I can play Pandora on this. I know I can play it on my HTPC but for some reason when I use the Android version from my phone Pandora does not time out. The unit I am considering has an Ipod dock - useless since I do not own an IPOD/IPAD or any other Apple product. Not sure if that connections has any 3.5mm connections that would work.

Even though I can play CDs through the Bluray, I like the changer, however I guess another project should be to get all my cds on my pc - another summer project. I just like the ease of picking 5 cds I want to hear and manually putting them in the player - rather than dealing with playlists etc...

I know I sort of answered my own questions. But wanted to post and get thoughts.
jmsnyc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 05-28-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
crazyrob425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,403
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 182
You are buying a disposable HTIB.... I STRONGLY suggest against that is the is limited room for upgrades from there

I suggest you get a HTIB that is a component based system which allows for upgrades in the future rather than requiring you to throw the full thing out and start from the beginning

Something like the Onkyo HT-S6300
crazyrob425 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 05-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
skally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
+1 with C-Robs post. I would reccomend al least going with an Onkyo HTIB set up with a seperate Blu-ray player.
skally is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 05-28-2011, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jmsnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I appreciate your suggestions but that will double what I am planning on spending.

If I get the Panny BluRay through EPP, for $400 shipped with 3D Avatar that I can sell on ebay for close to $100 I am spending net around $300. If I buy the Onkyo for $500 and then have to go out and buy a separate 3D Ready Bluray, say about $175 I am close to $700 which is more than double.

Plus, while they might not be the best for an audiophile, I really like the tower speakers the Panny comes with plus rear speakers are wireless.

I live in a small apartment so I am looking for a nice setup but cost and the compactness of my audio components are factors.

Either way, in a few years, stuff will be outdated, whetrher its a bluray or a receiver. My current Kenwood that I have had for years has tons of S-Video jacks and RCA connections but lacks HDMI.

The Bluray player has two hdmi inputs. digital audio inputs, and I am pretty sure it has one set of composite audio/video inputs.

Taking a quick look at lesser models.... this one is not bad
Onkyo SKS-HT870 though I have not looked at the connections yet.
jmsnyc is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 05-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
skally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have not herd the Panny that you have listed but I have herd a few others from Panny, Samsung, LG and more HTIB as they have a less than desired sound... at least in my opinion that is. The "wireless" speakers that you are referring about are not true wireless as they do have to be plugged into an outlet for power so you may want to look into that if you plan on getting the Panny.

Its not that were here to totaly steer you off the Panny, its just you can do much better for the price. The Onkyo or even the Denon HTIB are youre best bet or best "bang for the dollar" as they tend to have a much better AVE receiver & speakers.

Even thou you like the towers the Panny has its not going to make a differnace with that set up. You wont get a true tower experiance out of those... sorry to say. Another thing bad about the Panny or even another HTIB that has built in bluray is if something goes wrong with the bluray you are pretty much out of luck as its the entire system vs a seperate componet can be replace to where the AV would be in tact... just something to conceider that is.

There are quite a few options to play with, but say if you went with something like this...

Open box deal on bluray...
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...54609/lg-bd630

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882120182
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...Package/1.html

or...
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-DHT-391X...6645293&sr=1-1

good deal for tower Onkyo... as this may intise you
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...od-Dock/1.html
skally is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 05-28-2011, 10:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
afrogt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 23,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 401
If you like your current speakers and receiver, why not get a blu ray player and connect it via optical to your Kenwood? It'll still sound better than a cheap HTIB system.

The audio from a BD player optical out is still very high quality even though it isn't lossless audio.

Or if you buy a BD player with 5.1/7.1 analog outputs, you can connect it to your Kenwood receiver that way.

Afro GT
afrogt is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Member
 
LetoAtreides82's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

I appreciate your suggestions but that will double what I am planning on spending.

If I get the Panny BluRay through EPP, for $400 shipped with 3D Avatar that I can sell on ebay for close to $100 I am spending net around $300. If I buy the Onkyo for $500 and then have to go out and buy a separate 3D Ready Bluray, say about $175 I am close to $700 which is more than double.

Plus, while they might not be the best for an audiophile, I really like the tower speakers the Panny comes with plus rear speakers are wireless.

I live in a small apartment so I am looking for a nice setup but cost and the compactness of my audio components are factors.

Either way, in a few years, stuff will be outdated, whetrher its a bluray or a receiver. My current Kenwood that I have had for years has tons of S-Video jacks and RCA connections but lacks HDMI.

The Bluray player has two hdmi inputs. digital audio inputs, and I am pretty sure it has one set of composite audio/video inputs.

Taking a quick look at lesser models.... this one is not bad
Onkyo SKS-HT870 though I have not looked at the connections yet.

You could go for the Onkyo S5400, i got mines for $419 free shipping. It's 3d ready, comes with 7 speakers and a 10" subwoofer, and has a ton of connections and features.
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...ss=Systems&p=s
LetoAtreides82 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 09:06 AM
 
schan1269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why not buy a newer used receiver that has HDMI?

All you need is HDMI 1.3(which existed for 5 years before HDMI 1.4).

Excellent choices...
Onkyo TX SR605/705/606/607/707
Denon 790/890/789/1910
Pioneer 819/919/1018

There are TONS of options.

You can even buy a used profile 2.0(BD Live) BD player on Ebay for under $50...
Panasonic DMP BD35/45/65
Sony 350
schan1269 is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Do you already have five speakers and a sub for use with your Kenwood? If so, getting a player and using its optical or coax output will fix you right up. No need for HDMI. If not, an HTIB with a built-in BD player will be the cheapest option. Just make sure it has the extra inputs you need for your other equipment. Analog stereo is all you need for a CD changer.

The problem with the kind of systems your are considering is that they can't be upgraded down the road. If you want to add better speakers or other external components, you have to throw the system away and start again from scratch.
BIslander is online now  
post #10 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jmsnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for all the responses...

These are the speakers



and subwoofer


I wanted something less boxy and more modern looking.
So I am not sure if I want to keep these speakers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

The problem with the kind of systems your are considering is that they can't be upgraded down the road. If you want to add better speakers or other external components, you have to throw the system away and start again from scratch.

Can't I always add a receiver later and use the BluRay system as a BluRayer player ? Or are the speaker connections proprietary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

The "wireless" speakers that you are referring about are not true wireless as they do have to be plugged into an outlet for power so you may want to look into that if you plan on getting the Panny.

This is a good point that if true knocks points off getting the Panny. Having to plug in wireless satellite speakers than are hung high on the wall kind of defeats the purpose of not having any wires hang down.

Also, does it matter if a receiver supports 3D? Is there an advantage to pass through the video? Then I can keep my receiver and maybe just get a new set of speakers like the Yamaha set that sells for around $100. http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-SP18...6703478&sr=1-1
jmsnyc is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
skally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The only advantage of having a receiver that supports 3D pass is if you have a 3D TV or intend on getting one. Other than that no, there is no differance.
skally is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
skally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 895
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
THe Yamaha speaker set you have mentioned had quite a few good reviews but I have never herd them.
skally is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jmsnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

The only advantage of having a receiver that supports 3D pass is if you have a 3D TV or intend on getting one. Other than that no, there is no differance.

I intend on getting one.


Basically this was my question:
3D is video, so if I have a non 3D receiver, can't I just send audio to the receiver and connect video from 3D source (bluray) directly to tv?
jmsnyc is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Tulpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

Can't I always add a receiver later and use the BluRay system as a BluRayer player ? Or are the speaker connections proprietary?

They're probably proprietary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

3D is video, so if I have a non 3D receiver, can't I just send audio to the receiver and connect video from 3D source (bluray) directly to tv?

You can, and it would work, but you may be limited to legacy audio codecs like Dolby Digital or DTS as opposed to lossless like TrueHD and DTS-MA. But then, you may find the legacy audio codecs sufficient (quite a few people do.)

The reason you'd be limited is that 3D needs HDMI (and not any HDMI, it needs profile 1.4), whereas the lossless audio needs either multi-channel analog or HDMI itself. So if the receiver isn't HDMI 1.4 compliant that passes 3D video through, you'll need to split the signal for both 3D and lossless, one going to the TV and one going to the receiver.

You'll need a player with either two HDMI outs (Panasonic makes one) or with HDMI and multichannel analog outs (I think Oppo makes one that is 3D capable.) Those players are not cheap.

However, any 3D player should have legacy optical out that you can hook up to any modern receiver and it would work.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Tulpa is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jmsnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

You can, and it would work, but you may be limited to legacy audio codecs like Dolby Digital or DTS as opposed to lossless like TrueHD and DTS-MA. But then, you may find the legacy audio codecs sufficient (quite a few people do.)

The reason you'd be limited is that 3D needs HDMI (and not any HDMI, it needs profile 1.4), whereas the lossless audio needs either multi-channel analog or HDMI itself. So if the receiver isn't HDMI 1.4 compliant that passes 3D video through, you'll need to split the signal for both 3D and lossless, one going to the TV and one going to the receiver.

You'll need a player with either two HDMI outs (Panasonic makes one) or with HDMI and multichannel analog outs (I think Oppo makes one that is 3D capable.) Those players are not cheap.

However, any 3D player should have legacy optical out that you can hook up to any modern receiver and it would work.

So if I find the legacy audio sufficient, why cant I just send optical out from bluray to old receiver and hdmi out to tv - receiver that does not support 3d is not in the mix for the 3d video...hdmi carries sound, so sound may come out of my tv and the speakers but thats not an issue for me....

why is there a need for 2 hdmi outs - why does an hdmi out from bluray have to go to receiver?

i found this thread which discusses my question....
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1183655&page=3
jmsnyc is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,576
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post


So if I find the legacy audio sufficient, why cant I just send optical out from bluray to old receiver and hdmi out to tv

That would be the way to go.

Quote:


why is there a need for 2 hdmi outs - why does an hdmi out from bluray have to go to receiver?

Lossless audio requires HDMI. Optical is limited to lossy bitstreams and to stereo PCM. That, and simplicity, are the reasons people run HDMI through the receiver.

If you have a receiver that does not support 3D, you need a player with dual HDMI outputs. One goes to the TV for 3D video and the other goes to the AVR for lossless audio.
BIslander is online now  
post #17 of 20 Old 05-29-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Tulpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsnyc View Post

why is there a need for 2 hdmi outs - why does an hdmi out from bluray have to go to receiver?

It's just one way to go if you want lossless audio and 3D but have a receiver that isn't HDMI 1.4.

The other way is multichannel analog audio outputs.

But again, that's if you want lossless audio, and that's up to you. Optical to the receiver and HDMI to the TV will work fine for legacy audio and 3D video.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Tulpa is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jmsnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok, I am officially convinced not to get the Panny.

How does this receiver compare to the Onkyo in the HT-S3400

http://www.pcrichard.com/catalog/pro...delNo=STRDH810

I know the Sony is 7.1 and the Onkyo is 5.1 ( not sure if its expandable)

I am also aware that the Sony is a slighty older model but with latest firmware it does support 3D.

I was thinking the Sony Receiver and the Yamaha speakers above, I will be at the same price is that Onkyo.
jmsnyc is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 05-31-2011, 01:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Tulpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 10,026
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
The Sony would probably be okay. The Onkyo is not expandable beyond 5.1, so if you want 7.1, get the Sony.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Tulpa is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 06-13-2011, 07:02 AM
Newbie
 
cjdelta123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How I wish I have 2 max boost for my dvd player..
cjdelta123 is offline  
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off