Help! Why doesn't sound come from all my speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HT-C6900w system....Im hooked up with hdmis, im watching espn and i can hear the sound through all my speakers, when i watch another channel only 3 of the speakers work, when i play the xbox only 3 of the speakers work, whats going on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Some sources have more channels than others. What does the front panel say? Are you using any post-processing, like DPL?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Old 11-18-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

i was just playing a video game earlier and all the speakers were working, i just played the same game and 3 speakers only worked
Old 11-18-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmooveIV View Post

HT-C6900w system....Im hooked up with hdmis, im watching espn and i can hear the sound through all my speakers, when i watch another channel only 3 of the speakers work, when i play the xbox only 3 of the speakers work, whats going on

Not everything is broadcast in 5.1 all the time or multi-channel stereo. The same holds true for games.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

well is there way to get my games and channels to play all the time on all 5 speakers
Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

i was just playing a video game earlier and all the speakers were working, i just played the same game and 3 speakers only worked

That suggests either that something is broken or that some setting was changed. Again, what audio settings have you in your menus?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

EQ Optimizer: Off

HDMI Audio: Off:

Digital Output: Bitstream (Audiophile) THIS WHOLE PARTY IS GREYED OFF I CAN ONLY SELECT SOMETHING HERE IF I TURN HDMI AUDIO ON

Dynamic Range Control: Auto

AV Sync: 50 msec

my tv sound settings are greyed off but

equalizer is on
srstrusurround hd is off
multi-track sound is on stereo
suto volume is off
speaker select is on external speaker
sound select is on main
Old 11-18-2011, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 135
You mention watching TV and playing video games. Which devices are you using and how are they connected to your receiver for audio?

Generally speaking, a source that is DD 5.1 will play in all of your speakers and a source that is stereo will only play in the L/R speakers unless you apply some sort of processing that spreads the sound to the other speakers. ProLogic II and DTS Neo:6 are popular processing modes you can apply in your AVR to expand stereo to 5.1.

The first step in troubleshooting is determining what type of source audio is being sent to your receiver. The AVR should show you that on the front panel or you can see it by selecting a menu that shows the specifications of the arriving audio.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

You mention watching TV and playing video games. Which devices are you using and how are they connected to your receiver for audio?

Generally speaking, a source that is DD 5.1 will play in all of your speakers and a source that is stereo will only play in the L/R speakers unless you apply some sort of processing that spreads the sound to the other speakers. ProLogic II and DTS Neo:6 are popular processing modes you can apply in your AVR to expand stereo to 5.1.

The first step in troubleshooting is determining what type of source audio is being sent to your receiver. The AVR should show you that on the front panel or you can see it by selecting a menu that shows the specifications of the arriving audio.

digital cable box is connected to my receiver's hdmi output and my xbox 360 is connected to my receivers hdmi out put....i have a hdmi plugged in my receivers hdmi input and the other end in the tv
Old 11-18-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I presume you mean the device outputs are connected to your receiver's HDMI inputs and the TV is connected to the AVR's output.

So, when you watch ESPN and get audio from all speakers, what type of audio does your AVR say it is receiving? And when you change to a channel where you don't get sound from all speakers, what type of audio does your AVR say it is getting?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

digital cable box is connected to my receiver's hdmi output and my xbox 360 is connected to my receivers hdmi out put....i have a hdmi plugged in my receivers hdmi input and the other end in the tv

Huh? Try one thing at a time. Disconnect everything and connect your cable box directly to the tv via the OTA/Cable coax input. Use the optical cable out from your tv to the optical in on the AVR. Turn the speakers off on your tv and make sure the AVR is set to the correct input for the tv. See how that plays with nothing else connected. If you're satisfied with the audio/video then try to connect your Xbox to the AVR via the HDMI input on the AVR. If video is ok but audio is not, then try optical out from the Xbox (I'm assuming it has one) to the AVR. You will of course have to disconnect the tv but this is just a test. If that works, then I think you said you had on optical switch so try that.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^

What does that accomplish? The OP's HDMI connections are the way to go. He just needs to work through the basic audio settings. Besides, isn't the coax output of a cable box limited to SD?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

multi-track sound is on stereo

What does this mean? Is it forcing some MCH to stereo?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^^

What does that accomplish? The OP's HDMI connections are the way to go. He just needs to work through the basic audio settings. Besides, isn't the coax output of a cable box limited to SD?

Just as a test to see if he can get audio. Agreed that HDMI is the only way to go, but he hasn't ruled out the possibility that it could be a component issue. That's all. I don't have cable so I don't know what the coax output is capable of. Mine is OTA only (via a coax cable) and we get perfect HD and very nice discreet 5.1, when broadcast (and that's basically all that can be sent thru an optical cable to an AVR).
Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The OP's problem is not a lack of audio. He gets sound from both devices. Rather, he's trying to figure out why he hears all speakers sometimes and only three speakers at other times. Using a coax connection from a set top box won't help with that issue.

Also, OTA or a direct cable feed to the TV tuner is different from the coax output from a set top box, which maxes out with SD video and stereo audio.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

is there a way to get all 5 speakers to play on every broadcast and every videogame or its not possible?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

is there a way to get all 5 speakers to play on every broadcast and every videogame or its not possible?

Yes, no problem. But, please answer the question posed earlier about the type of audio you are receiving.
Quote:

So, when you watch ESPN and get audio from all speakers, what type of audio does your AVR say it is receiving? And when you change to a channel where you don't get sound from all speakers, what type of audio does your AVR say it is getting?

Old 11-23-2011, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

On front of the receiver it only says hdmi in 1 when I'm watching espn
Old 11-23-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Try pressing the info button on the remote to see whether that shows you information about the format of the arriving audio and about any processing modes you may have engaged. If the input source is DD 5.1, then you will get sound to all speakers. If it is stereo, you can apply ProLogicII in your system to expand the two channel source to 5.1. There's a button for that on the remote. p55 of the manual.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:

Do you mean all at once all the time? Meaning the same sound from all the speakers? Yes, there should be some surround modes that do that. I personally wouldn't be a fan of that (as it reduces or eliminates the sense of the sound moving with the images), but it's possible if that's what you really want.

Or do you mean do you want to hear the way it was mixed in the studio? Because most movies, games and TV broadcasts don't use the surrounds as much as the fronts. The surrounds are for ambient sound, panning sound effects, and maybe a few isolated effects (a door opening here, a car going by there, etc.)

When you say ESPN, are you talking like actual games? Because they sometimes mix the broadcasts so crowd noise comes out all the speakers (with ingame sounds in the front.) Since crowds are usually pretty noisy from start to finish, that would explain why all the speakers are going all the time on that channel. It could also be the way they mix certain shows. Some of the news channels like to thunder out music and sound effects like that.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Try pressing the info button on the remote to see whether that shows you information about the format of the arriving audio and about any processing modes you may have engaged. If the input source is DD 5.1, then you will get sound to all speakers. If it is stereo, you can apply ProLogicII in your system to expand the two channel source to 5.1. There's a button for that on the remote. p55 of the manual.

Ok I pressed the prologicII button, all along my setting was on stereo...when I changed it to music or movie or prolog or matrix it sent sound to all 5 speakers no matter what channel...so which one of those settings are recommended and also are their any pros and cons for having sound play through all 5 speakers at all times
Old 11-23-2011, 11:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Honestly, it's whatever you think sounds best. ProLogicII will take stereo sources and separate them out to approximate what Dolby Digital sources will be (although there are limits, because it is a stereo source.) Try each setting with different sources to find which you like.

As for pros and cons, it won't harm your system if that's what you mean.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 11-24-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

PLII music has a wider soundstage while the movie mode sends more sound to the center channel. I personally prefer the music mode.