Did I make a mistake with Bose Cinemate II? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-01-2011, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I Just bought a 55" SAMSUNG 3D LED smart tv and on impulse let the guy talk me into the Bose Cinemate II. I liked the simplicity of it, but but wondering I there is another box system that is also compact with lesser wires and no receiver. I paid $599 which is the going rate for the system so looking for something in that range or lower. This will only be used for movies and gaming. Any help would be appreciated. The room is about 14x20 with cathedral ceilings. I just want something decent but with the least amount of wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-01-2011, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

I am also not against a good soundbar with wireless sub. I just want a clean looking setup but have no idea where to start as this is my first theater system.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-01-2011, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I'm just going to state my opinion.

Audio is 50% of the Home Theater experience, so spend equally. What did you pay for your TV the stand and blu-ray/dvd player? Say you spent $2k, then you should be willing to spend $2k on a receiver, speakers, and subs.

Oh and stay away from Bose. Not that every Bose thing is crap but for the price you pay it is crap. Much better can be had for the same price or cheaper.

Shawn
post #4 of 15 Old 12-01-2011, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

LOL.... if you knew my wife and what I had to go through to get this tv/bose system in the first place you would understand.

Thanks for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but I'm just going to state my opinion.

Audio is 50% of the Home Theater experience, so spend equally. What did you pay for your TV the stand and blu-ray/dvd player? Say you spent $2k, then you should be willing to spend $2k on a receiver, speakers, and subs.

Oh and stay away from Bose. Not that every Bose thing is crap but for the price you pay it is crap. Much better can be had for the same price or cheaper.

post #5 of 15 Old 12-01-2011, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverslayer99 View Post

LOL.... if you knew my wife and what I had to go through to get this tv/bose system in the first place you would understand.

Thanks for your input

Trust me I understand..... Thats why I did what I did. I had a 55" mits rear projection 1080i tv that was given to me and a 480p dvd player and a 7.1 Onkyo HTIB but no HDMI and stuff like that. Every thing I had was cheap. I have just been replacing one thing at a time. Last year around new years my 11 year old dvd player died so I bought a sony 3D 1080p blu-ray player. Last spring I updated my receiver to one with HDMI, 3D and ARC, THX certified, and the new HD sound formats. At the end of Sept. I bought an LG 60" THX certified plasma 3D 1080p tv and a z-line stand. And finally at tax return time this year I will be buying my new speakers and subs. I'm getting the BIC Acoustech Platinum Speakers: 2 - PL89s, 1 - PL28, and 4 - PL66s. I'm getting 2 - Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus Subwoofers. So after 4.5 years of waiting I will finally have the Home Theater I wanted. But I know it will be well worth the wait.

BTW....I only buy stuff when its on sale or refurbished. I will have over $8k worth of stuff for under $5k.

Shawn
post #6 of 15 Old 12-01-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverslayer99 View Post

Thanks for your input

The WAF is a definite force to contend with. A lot of us have gone thru the very same thing so you're not alone Separates for a HTS (receiver, speakers, sub-woofer) is always the best way to go. But it can be costly. You might want to start with a very simple system, receiver, R/L/C speakers and then add the sub-woofer later once she gets used to the look and sound. Or you can find a decent HTiB 5.1 system to start with (there are a few) and build from there. It seems that a lot of folks upgrade their HTS more often than the tv (better speakers, etc).
post #7 of 15 Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Just my opinion...and not a Bose hater, as I use to own some 901s and loved them. However, the cinemate system, which I had the "pleasure" of using for about 2 weeks a couple years ago...was absolutely brutal to listen to!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #8 of 15 Old 12-02-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I don't really have the room for a receiver. I built a shelf in the wall above my fireplace and already have my dvr and 3d/bray in there. I also do not have the placement for the speakers of a 5.1 system nor do I want wires running all over. Should I take it back and get a soundbar with wireless sub? Is there one that will sound better or as good as the Bose for the same money (or less)?
Thanks for all the opinions so far.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-03-2011, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have demoed the Bose Cinemate at home and compared it with a more than a few soundbars,,,,, while dont I feel the Bose sucked I do know you can get a much nicer soundbar for far less money than a Cinemate.

Since you got the Cinemate I'm guessing your not wanting a full on surround system.

Might I suggest the newest Vizio VHT215,,,, it can be had at Costco for around 250.00,,,, it was even on sale a Costco a few days ago for 199.99,,,, I demoed it at home a few weeks ago and was very very impressed with it,,,,, sounded way better than the Bose and had lots of features,,,, HDMI inputs, control over all the audio settings and some other very nice features.

There are also some other very good soundbars out there,,,the Sony CT150 is another nice one,,,,,, go over to the soundbar section of this forum and browse around,,,, there's some really nice options other than the Cinemate.

Cheers
Davyo
post #10 of 15 Old 12-03-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

I was under the impression the Bose was wireless when I bought it. You are correct that I do not want a full on surround system. I have been looking in the soundbar forum for the past couple of days and have found a few that look like good systems, but I am not at all an expert in all the features. I want to just get the best sound from my tv, ps3, and 3d blue ray player without having all the wires. I appreciate and value your opinion (as others do as well from what I have read) thanks for sharing your thoughts.

[QUOTE=davyo;21294014]I have demoed the Bose Cinemate at home and compared it with a more than a few soundbars,,,,, while dont I feel the Bose sucked I do know you can get a much nicer soundbar for far less money than a Cinemate.

Since you got the Cinemate I'm guessing your not wanting a full on surround system.

Might I suggest the newest Vizio VHT215,,,, it can be had at Costco for around 250.00,,,, it was even on sale a Costco a few days ago for 199.99,,,, I demoed it at home a few weeks ago and was very very impressed with it,,,,, sounded way better than the Bose and had lots of features,,,, HDMI inputs, control over all the audio settings and some other very nice features.

There are also some other very good soundbars out there,,,the Sony CT150 is another nice one,,,,,, go over to the soundbar section of this forum and browse around,,,, there's some really nice options other than the Cinemate.

Cheers
Davyo[/quote]
post #11 of 15 Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

I like the simplicity (no receiver) of the Vizio but not sure I can get proper line of sight for the sub. Does it have to be directly in front of the soundbar? The Sony seems good, but don't really care for the receiver.

Any thoughts??
post #12 of 15 Old 12-05-2011, 05:51 PM
TLF

Silverslayer, the bottom line is how do YOU think it sounds and works for you? One can always read the forums and get a lot of opinions(mine included here!) and also, it can make you wish or want for more, even when maybe you need less. Sometimes I think or wonder why I have the gear I do-yes it all sounds great, but sometimes there is something to be said about simplicity.

My best friend had high end gear most of his life and decided to try the Cinemate out, and he has had it for a awhile now, and is completely satisfied with it. I agree too, it isn't bad at all. It all comes down to priorities, convenience and anything else you care to throw in there, but in the end, it is your ears that count-along with your wallet etc. Enjoy it for awhile and see how you get along with it, I am guessing you still have some time left in that 30-day window. At the end of that time, take it back if you aren't satisfied, the worst thing you can do is get in a hurry! Enjoy. Tim
post #13 of 15 Old 12-06-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to go for the Vizio. I didn't want to add the receiver and it appears the sub does not have to be directly in front of the soundbar so it might just work.
Thank you all for thoughts and opinions, it is really appreciated.
post #14 of 15 Old 10-30-2012, 01:52 PM

Women just do not understand a mans need for a big screen tv and lots of sound. I went through the same thing with my wife.
post #15 of 15 Old 12-15-2013, 04:22 PM

My 12 year old Grandson unboxed and intalled mine in 20 minutes.
Reply Home Theater In A Box