first post, need home theater hook up advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-22-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

This is my first post and I need some advice. I have an LG 65" LW6500 on the way and am extremely excited (upgrading from a 50" dlp sammy). I also have an older Onkyo surround sound system that is going to move downstairs with the old tv because it doesn't have any HDMI inputs or outputs and no blu ray 3d player. Since I am in a townhouse and cannot crank the stereo way up I do not need an incredible surround sound system. I am looking at the LG LHB336 system so that I can have all LG products.
Now that I have given you the background to the setup I need some advice on the connections. I have never run only HDMI connections. If I hook my cable box and PS3 into the receiver with HDMI cords and then run one HDMI cord from the receiver to my TV, how will it work? (All HDMI will be 1.4 High Speed w/ Ethernet) Would I be able to get sound through just the TV speakers from the cable box and PS3 if I wanted? If I choose netflix from the TV will the HDMI run the sound back down to the receiver if I wanted it to?
I am basically asking how would you set this up so that you would be able to have sound running through your TV speakers when you want and the best sound possible running through your surround sound with the LHB336 system?

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Yes on the first part of the question: HDMI from each device to the AVR and an HDMI from the AVR to the TV will provide audio from the sound system speakers. You may need to disable the HDMI audio output from the AVR to the TV in order to get surround sound. Sometimes the HDMI handshake with the TV tells the receiver to produce stereo instead of 5.1 because TVs are only 2 channel devices. Check the sound system manual for information about the HDMI audio output.

If the TV and the AVR are both HDMI 1.4 and include support for ARC (Audio Return Channel), then you can back feed audio from the TV apps to the sound system over the same HDMI cable. The manuals should explain how to setup ARC. Otherwise, you can use an optical cable between the TV and the sound system.

btw, there's no need for an HDMI cable with ethernet. No devices support ethernet over HDMI at this time. Regular High Speed cables will work just fine.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Lg isn't known for making quality audio products so ditch the brand loyalty give us your budget and we'll tell you a much better system to get
post #4 of 4 Old 12-22-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The LG Theater in a Box was around $300. Again, I am in a townhouse so I don't need a crazy system, just something better than the TV speakers and that will play 3D Blu ray.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page