LG LHB975 wireless speaker sync repair - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 96 Old 01-11-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

I would like to offer my experience with the LHB975 wireless speaker synchronization problem.

After about 18 months I noticed that my rear speakers no longer worked. The red light on the rear receiver would not turn blue. After several tries going through the sync procedure in the owner's manual without success, I turned to the internet for some help. Although I found dozens of people with this problem (some had the sync problem with both the sub-woofer and the rear speakers), the vast majority had it with only with one or the other. Since the unit was out of warranty, (LG will not recognize this as a defect in the system and extend the warranty) I had no choice but to do it myself, or pay some exorbitant amount to have it fixed.

As you read this, keep in mind that this fix is for units that either one or the other wireless device is not working. If both are not working the problem probably lies somewhere else.

It turns out that the fix is quite simple if you have a little mechanical ability. The toughest part of the fix is opening the rear wireless receiver! The sub-woofer is very easy to open. (Do I have to tell you to unplug the units you are working on?)

The key to this fix if the fact that BOTH devices use the same wireless receiver card (LG P/N: EBR65859702) to receive their signal. This card is easily identified on the receiver board in that it is elevated, held on by 3 silver screws and is connected by a ribbon cable. To confirm that this part is the problem, simply swap the cards between the devices (make sure you identify the suspected bad one with a piece of tape to prevent them from getting mixed up). If the problem is fixed by swapping the cards, simply order another (about $50 + shipping, not cheap, but beats sending it out).
For an exploded diagram of these units and a parts list, go to the Sears parts web site.

Hope you have the same success I did.

gadawg1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 Old 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM

Liked: 10
jerseyfind---excellent solution---subwoofer wouldn't sync---swapped air card with rear surround --- trouble followed bad card--ordered new card--installed---test ok--
Thanks
post #3 of 96 Old 02-09-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

48woody,

Glad I was able to help I hope more owners with this problem will find this post since this seems to be a common component failure that LG will not support.
post #4 of 96 Old 04-18-2012, 03:53 PM

Thanks to the fabulous suggestion, I was able to confirm that the problem is indeed the wireless adapter card in the subwoofer.

I contacted LG, who refused to sell me the part, nor will they warranty it. They require I ship it to them on my own dime, pay $69.99 for the diagnostic, pay for the part AND the labour, and pay for return shipping. I have no words.

I went a step farther and contact Eleven Engineering, the manufacturer (Canadian) of the actual card. They will not deal with consumers, but knew immediatley that I was calling about the LG card. Not good.

My question is: how did you get the part number? It does not match info on my card, despite the fact that my card is from the LBH975 woofer. The sears site has no photo nor any alternative info.

Just want to be sure before I drop $75 on this fix. Thanks!
post #5 of 96 Old 05-10-2012, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

If you go to this Sears part site and find the LHB975 exploded diagrams. Click on wireless sub parts it will be listed as item "A54A" with the part #
EBR65859702 (this is the LG P/N not the Eleven Engineering #).
These parts are out of stock with Sears (probably because of the high failure rate) but if you Google the P/N you can find it elsewhere.
You can get it for $45.02 + $7 shipping at "appliancepartspros.com"

Let me know how it goes.
post #6 of 96 Old 05-20-2012, 03:19 PM

Ordered the part, chucked it in the woofer, and.....no go.

Put the new card in the wireless receiver to check, and...no go.

So, I received yet another defective card. Thanks LG!
post #7 of 96 Old 05-28-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Bummer to hear that. It's bad enough they can't make cards that last much past the warranty period, but they can't last out of the box.

Hopefully the next card will work. Where did you get it from, and how was their customer service?
post #8 of 96 Old 07-31-2012, 08:23 AM

I had the same experience. My subwoofer stopped receiving the wireless signal, so I purchased 2 of the EBR65859702 wireless cards thinking that since the subwoofer went out, the surround speakers would probably not be far behind. The first card I installed in the subwoofer would not connect, the light just kept blinking red, so I installed the second card and it worked immediately. Seems like whoever produces these has absolutely no idea what "quality control" means (or they just plain don't care!). I will say however that the subwoofer was very easy to work on, and the entire process of removing the screws, opening the case, and replacing the card takes only about 15 minutes. I am going to attempt to return the new card that did not work for a refund- I'll see how successful I am at that! I will probably never buy another LG surround system, as this is the second time the wireless speakers have stopped working. The first time the system was still under warranty, and the whole process of shipping the ENTIRE system to California for repair (AND having to pay $70 for them to repair it even under warranty) was also a pain in the ass!
post #9 of 96 Old 07-31-2012, 10:42 AM

Just spoke with Sears Parts Direct- they were very accommodating in regards to returning the defective card- received a UPS shipping label within minutes of talking with them!
post #10 of 96 Old 08-05-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

I find it amazing that the quality control on these wireless cards is so bad that you have to order in at least 2 in order to get one that works! I got lucky and the one I ordered worked fine the first time. At least Sears (in this instance) has good customer service. Probably worth the extra $$ to get the part from Sears in order to save on the other end. Doesn't say much for LG either since they are using this vendor and not insisting they perform to a higher standard.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hope the part continues to work.
post #11 of 96 Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 AM

Hey! I am having trouble with my sub woofer as well. It only worked for 6 months after I got it, but is out of warrenty now. I have been moving around a bit. Will this have an effect on the system?
post #12 of 96 Old 09-06-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by "moving around a bit", but assuming that you are not bouncing it around it should be fine. The only way to see if the wireless card has failed, is to do what I have suggested above.

Let us know your outcome.

Good luck.
post #13 of 96 Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 PM

Thank you so much for this post. I have been battling my LG system for months now. I have spent hours trying to figure out what was going on with the wireless components (both my sub-woofer and wireless receiver for my rear speakers weren't working). After spending 1 1/2 hours on the phone with LG customer support on Tuesday, I started searching the internet to find an affordable fix. I came across your post. Since both of my units weren't working, I was unable to test to see if the wireless card was actually the problem. I just assummed that both wireless cards were bad, as your description of the problem was exactly what I was dealing with. I ordered the cards from Sears.com on Tuesday night and received them today, Thursday. It took me about 30 minutes to replace the wireless cards in both units. I then followed the steps in the maual to rematch the wireless receivers and it worked!!! I couldn't be happier! Thank you again for the post, it was spot on!
smile.gif
post #14 of 96 Old 09-21-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

My pleasure, and thank you for the compliment. I hope more people with this problem will be able to find this post since it will givie them an alternative to being held hostage by LG.
post #15 of 96 Old 09-23-2012, 10:42 AM

Ok, I give up..how did you get into the wireless receiver. I had no trouble with the subwoofer...but I'm baffled by the receiver!
post #16 of 96 Old 09-23-2012, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Aha, there is the rub. The sub is very easy, but the receiver has one of the best hidden seams I have ever seen. The seam is on the edge and goes all the way around. You have to get it started at the bottom, then try to get an old credit card under it and slip it around popping off the internal tabs that hold it together. It is difficult but not impossible. Just take your time and don't force it. A little flex to the plastic will help. Unfortunately I can't walk you through it in that it is like trying to teach someone how to tie their shoelace over the phone. Can't be done. Stay with it and you will get it.

Can anyone else who has done it help him?
post #17 of 96 Old 09-24-2012, 07:59 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try when I'm feeling lucky. I can wreak havoc just getting into a bag of Cheese Doodles, so wish me luck.

I'm not sure I understand the relationship between the subwoofer sound card and the wireless receiver. From what I've inferred from this thread...you can have a bad sound card in the subwoofer that affects the wireless receiver but doesn't affect the subwoofer..correct? I replaced the card in my subwoofer, but my wireless is still no go. Is it correct to assume either it's a faulty card in the receiver and/or a faulty new card in the subwoofer?
post #18 of 96 Old 09-25-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

The ONLY relationship between the rear speaker wireless receiver and the sub-woofer is that they use the same part number wireless card to receive their signals. Other than that, fixing one will not affect the other. The idea behind the exercise is that by swapping the cards you can figure out if the problem is in the wireless card or elsewhere (thus saving you from buying a part that you don't need). E.g. if your sub-woofer doesn't work and you put the card from the rear receiver in it and it works (or vice versa) then the original card in the sub-woofer is bad.

Since you already have a new wireless card, the experiment you did will only confirm if your new wireless card is good (you didn't say if your sub continued to work with the new card in it, but I'll assume that it did since you didn't say it stopped working). Now you have to go the next step and put it in your rear wireless receiver.

Sorry to say that the wireless enclosure is several levels above the Cheese Doodles bag, but take your time, don't get frustrated, and it will happen. Remember you can flex it a little to get the tabs to release. Once you get one started the others will be easier. Good luck.
post #19 of 96 Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 AM

Thanks you so much for all your input. I don't want to seem obtuse, but I still need a bit of clarification. My subwoofer is working. So does this means that the new card I put in is operational, too? If so, that means I didn't need to replace the original card because my subwoofer was working prior to the new card. So, if your fix is destined to work for me, it simply means now that the wireless card is bad...am I getting this?
post #20 of 96 Old 09-26-2012, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

"So does this means that the new card I put in is operational, too?" Yes

"If so, that means I didn't need to replace the original card because my sub-wooferer was working prior to the new card." Yes

"So, if your fix is destined to work for me, it simply means now that the wireless card is bad...am I getting this?" No

What this means is that you have 2 known good wireless cards, that if installed in your rear wireless receiver it might fix the problem. If it doesn't the problem is elsewhere (I estimate that you have a 90% chance of fixing it with the card replacement however).

As I stated before, the idea behind the exercise is that by swapping the cards you can figure out if the problem is in the wireless card (because the problem will follow the bad card) or elsewhere if the problem in the rear wireless receiver persists after the swap (thus saving you from buying a part that you don't need).

So, since you already bought a replacement card and tested it (by putting it in the sub-woofer and it works), simply put the card (either one) in the rear receiver and if the existing card in it is bad this will fix it. Remember, you might have to do the synchronization procedure (in the user manual) after you replace the card.

Let us know if it works.
post #21 of 96 Old 09-29-2012, 08:32 AM

SUCCESS!! I'm very pleased to report that my wireless receiver is now working perfectly. I cannot begin to thank you for your help. Had I not stumbled upon this forum, I would still be tearing my hair out. Thank you!!!
post #22 of 96 Old 09-29-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

EXCELLENT!!

You're welcome. This is why I posted in the first place. Glad to see you were able to open the receiver and that the wireless card was the problem. Well done!
post #23 of 96 Old 10-07-2012, 12:56 PM

Man, I've got to tell you that I don't usually reply to threads....even if it solves my problem, but I've got to hand it to you...this was just what I needed.
My sub wouldn't sync, and after a few hours of troubleshooting, I came across this, and knew what you were talking about, because I had already opened up the wireless reciever, and saw the adapter card inside.
It took me a total of 3 minutes to swap them, and viola! Problem solved. And since I'd rather have bass than rear speakers (until the new part arrives) I just left it as is.
Genious! Thank you so much for posting this!

-Daniel
post #24 of 96 Old 10-07-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Daniel,

Thank you for your kind reply. I'm glad I was able to help. Just too bad LG made these posts necessary. Enjoy your bass in the meantime until your part arrives!!
post #25 of 96 Old 10-10-2012, 11:46 AM

I need to vent. A couple of weeks ago I found this thread, followed the instructions after some help from this thread and everything worked perfectly....until last night. Originally the subwoofer was working and the wireless receiver wasn't. The receiver had a bad card. I put the subwoofer card in the receiver, and perfection. Now the subwoofer- with the NEW card- isn't working and I'm pretty darn sure after reading this thread, my new sound card is faulty. It should be against the law for them to continue manufacturing these faulty cards!!!
post #26 of 96 Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM

Funny I'm reading this post right now. Because I came back to post a new one of my own. Soooooo.... After my initial post a few days ago, I found where I could purchase this adapter card.
It just arrived, and I just installed it. I do believe I have an OBF (out of box failure) but wanted to post here to confirm/get any thoughts.
The new card operates totally different from the original bad card. The "new" one, after installation, operates as follows. When the main unit is turned on, the red led on the wireless receiver blinks red constantly. When I turn the main unit off, the red light on the wireless receiver seems to blink steady for 10 blinks, followed by a very short pause, then 10 more red blinks.....repeat.
I of course attempted to pair them, which is unsuccessful.
So I hope I didn't just piss away 50 bucks. Looks like a got a bad card. I hope they take it back!
Any thoughts?
post #27 of 96 Old 10-11-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately you are not the first to experience an OBF on these cards. Whom did you buy it from, and what has their customer service been like? Please share this information with us so others can make a decision on whom to buy from.

Thanks
post #28 of 96 Old 10-12-2012, 06:17 AM

I purchased it form mcm electronics, however, when I contacted them about the problem, they refer me to Newark INONE. I'm not sure how that works, but apparently they're a middle man who stocks it for them.
I've had to go through Newark for the RMA. So far, they've been fairly easy to work with. They may not even want the bad one back. I'll update again once it's all resolved.
post #29 of 96 Old 10-13-2012, 09:41 AM

Okay, so here's an unteresting update....
Apparently the new card is NOT bad after all, even though it won't work... Let me explain. Apparently the new card must operate at the same frequency as the card in my bass module. Therefore, I can get one, or the other to work individually, as long as the other is unplugged. If I unplug the bass mod, I can sync the wireless adapter, and it will turn blue. Then if I plug the bass mod in, and do another sync, the bass mod will turn blue, and the wireless receiver will turn red. I can get sound from the rear speakers when the bass is unplugged, and vice versa.

I do not see any identifying markings on the cards that says what frequency they operate on, but this is the only answer I can come up with.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone else experienced something similar?

So like I said, the adapter is good, but I can't use it.
post #30 of 96 Old 10-13-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Never had that problem. I understand what is happening, but if the new card has the same part # it would not make sense to have cards at different frequencies since they would then have to be replaced in matched pairs. Further, if there is no indication of frequency or mod, how would you know what you have? Have you tried unplugging both units for 15 minutes or so and then just plug them in? Also, it could be that the new card IS bad in that it doesn’t quite match the spec and it is just out of range. I would push for a replacement.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Lg