300-400 To Spend Need Guidance! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-19-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Moved to a new apartment and we want to get a home theatre set up but dont' want to spend more than 400 bucks. We would also like some wireless speakers so we can hook them up in the corners near the couch.

SO hit me! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-01-2012, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was going to start a thread similar, but figure I might as well jump in here and ask the same question. I was hoping to spend <400, but if I can get more for a little more money then I wouldn't mind. I was looking at these, thoughts?

Onkyo HT-S7409 ($478)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B005EP2HKW

Yamaha YHT-395 ($350)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
post #3 of 11 Old 02-01-2012, 12:09 PM

How upgradeable do you want it?

For someone who just wants a decent home theater on a budget and isn't looking to really get into serious home theater in the future. Go over to amazon and pickup the HTS3400 maybe. It's only $250.00. The sub is passive(powered by the receiver), the receiver doesn't upconvert non hdmi signals and it's not very upgradeable IMO because of that. But I think it's a great system for people starting, people who aren't going to be upgrading, or people just on a severe budget for right now.

Another Onkyo option under $400 is one of the refurbished systems at club onkyo. Think they have the 5400, 6300, 7200 all for under $400 when you sign up for club onkyo which is free. The plus with any of the more expensive Onkyo setups is you're getting a receiver that is going to be a great foundation for future upgrades if you're pondering that and usually loaded with options. Heck even the 3400 I spoke of above has some great options on the receiver.

Other options:
Monoprice has a cheap 5.1 speaker setup for $85.00? I think. You could pair that with a receiver. However that speaker setup is on backorder currently. But gets a great reviews.

Similar Parts express has a 5.1 speaker setup for $169-$199 depending which size sub you pick(8"/10"/12") and you could pair that with a receiver for $400ish.

Amazon has the boston acoustics classic 5.1 system in black for $199.99 you could pair with a receiver.

IMHO if you're spending $500 or more you can get better quality speakers than HTIB or satalites in general and a receiver almost for that. I personally wouldn't pay that much for a HTIB and rather instead start building a better quality home theater at that point..

None of the above have wireless rear surrounds. No decent quality htib I know of does. So you'd be on your own for that. But I believe rocketfish or someone makes wireless rf adapters.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khankewycz View Post

How upgradeable do you want it?

For someone who just wants a decent home theater on a budget and isn't looking to really get into serious home theater in the future. Go over to amazon and pickup the HTS3400 maybe. It's only $250.00. The sub is passive(powered by the receiver), the receiver doesn't upconvert non hdmi signals and it's not very upgradeable IMO because of that. But I think it's a great system for people starting, people who aren't going to be upgrading, or people just on a severe budget for right now.

Another Onkyo option under $400 is one of the refurbished systems at club onkyo. Think they have the 5400, 6300, 7200 all for under $400 when you sign up for club onkyo which is free. The plus with any of the more expensive Onkyo setups is you're getting a receiver that is going to be a great foundation for future upgrades if you're pondering that and usually loaded with options. Heck even the 3400 I spoke of above has some great options on the receiver.

Other options:
Monoprice has a cheap 5.1 speaker setup for $85.00? I think. You could pair that with a receiver. However that speaker setup is on backorder currently. But gets a great reviews.

Similar Parts express has a 5.1 speaker setup for $169-$199 depending which size sub you pick(8"/10"/12") and you could pair that with a receiver for $400ish.

Amazon has the boston acoustics classic 5.1 system in black for $199.99 you could pair with a receiver.

IMHO if you're spending $500 or more you can get better quality speakers than HTIB or satalites in general and a receiver almost for that. I personally wouldn't pay that much for a HTIB and rather instead start building a better quality home theater at that point..

None of the above have wireless rear surrounds. No decent quality htib I know of does. So you'd be on your own for that. But I believe rocketfish or someone makes wireless rf adapters.

thanks for getting back. for my proposes upgradable receiver would be nice. I take it the onkyo mentioned above wouldn't be good or worth the cost? i'm currently at frys and they have a Panasonic SC-BTT370 on sale for 350 any thoughts? I was just going to get something I can use for two years and then go from there. thanks!

edit: NM I just realized the Panasonic doesn't even come with a receiver
post #5 of 11 Old 02-01-2012, 03:00 PM

Almost any Onkyo htib contains a receiver that is worthy of keeping around and just upgrading speakers. I suppose even the 3400 is worthy, just the passive subwoofer setup that would turn me off of really using that receiver later as a foundation while upgrading the speakers. Most of onkyos mid range stuff like the 5400/5300 and up etc, come with more options and are setup for active subs instead of the passive like the 3400. The other things about a receiver that comes in a htib that you're hoping to upgrade on is you have figure which has the options that are most important to you now and down the road. Whether that's audessey, 1080p upconverting, 1.4 hdmi or 3d capable etc. If you're buying a htib with the premise that you want to keep the receiver later and upgrade the speakers then the receiver options and what you need in a receiver should be your deciding factor.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-01-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMyGeggo View Post

I was going to start a thread similar, but figure I might as well jump in here and ask the same question. I was hoping to spend <400, but if I can get more for a little more money then I wouldn't mind. I was looking at these, thoughts?

Onkyo HT-S7409 ($478)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B005EP2HKW

Yamaha YHT-395 ($350)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

I have the Yamaha 395 (RX-V371 receiver) and have been quite happy with it. Sounds great in our environment and plays very nicely with our other components. Better speakers would make it sound fantastic but that's this year's upgrade project. The powered sub-woofer does a decent job with it's 8" driver. However, you're S.O.L. if you really want wireless side speakers because it doesn't have them.

The wireless side speakers that I've seen aren't really "wireless" in the way I thought. You need to plug a receiver (which is small) into a powered outlet and then run wires from the receiver to the "wireless" speakers. They are only wireless in the sense that there are no wires going to the AVR. There may be other types of wireless setups but that's the only one I've ever seen first hand.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-01-2012, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
use the search and you can get the YHT-495 for the upper end of your price range. Yamaha has been great to me and I have stuff that is 20 years old that is still functioning normally... Can't go wrong with them IMHO...

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #8 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai View Post

use the search and you can get the YHT-495 for the upper end of your price range. Yamaha has been great to me and I have stuff that is 20 years old that is still functioning normally... Can't go wrong with them IMHO...

I think I'm going to go with the 5400 but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the problems people are having with their PS3 hook up with their projector regarding the deep color problem something about skipping etc.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMyGeggo View Post

I think I'm going to go with the 5400 but I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the problems people are having with their PS3 hook up with their projector regarding the deep color problem something about skipping etc.

I have disabled deep color on my PS3 and have noticed absolutely no difference

I do know that my 32LG30 and RX-V667 do not like each other on the HDMI side of things so I connect it to component and it works just fine that way......

This is my opinion

I think HDMI is not good for the following reasons

1. Not all devices work with each other.
2. The connector is not a good design ie it can be removed easily
3. DVI accomplishes the same thing without the connectivity issues for video and the connection is vastly superior because you screw it in.

*They could have easily adapted a single link DVI spec with audio by not using the second link and using the available wires to transmit audio (single link DVI supports resolutions well above 1080p) and have a split cable design with DVI to TV and audio bit stream go to receiver. But I degress as they came up with HDMI instead....all in the name of copy protection

4. delay is introduced when you have a device-> receiver-> TV setup.

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #10 of 11 Old 02-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
I'm pulling the trigger on the Onkyo 5400 today for $369 new on Amazon.

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #11 of 11 Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

I'm pulling the trigger on the Onkyo 5400 today for $369 new on Amazon.

If you have Chase, you can get 5% CB, so don't forget that too =)
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page