Should I Get A Denon DHT-391XP 5.1 HTIB or an Onkyo HT-S540 7.1? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-19-2012, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
OK my wife said for my birthday I can spend around $250-300 and I have been wanting to upgrade my sound system ever since I got a new flat screen and Blu Ray player.

Well, so far I'm interested in two units, the Denon DHT-391Xp 5.1 and the Onkyo HT-S540 7.1.

Here's the thing. I can get a refurbished Denon on Amazon through a 3rd party for $299 plus shipping. However, I can also get the Onkyo brand new for $360 plus shipping directly from Amazon. Assume for this thread I can convince her to spend the extra if I'm really sure the Onkyo is worth it.

Besides the obvious advantages of 7.1, is there an obvious choice here? The Denon has real wooden speakers, which improve acoustics, and I can't tell if the Onkyo is wood or just that black laminated plastic/mdf...

I'm an audiophile with extensive background in car audio...but not HT...

Any advice from those with more experience..?

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
How big is your room?

Also if I WERE in your shoes (ME not you) (IMHO) (BIASED REPLY) (Gotta cover my tracks) I would get the Denon 591 at least to get the Audyssey MultEQ which can help you set up your room and such. If Audyssey isn't what you really care about I'd get the 391 still and use the saved money from not buying the onkyo and get a decent sub like the PL200 or such.

I used to use the 391XP and loved it but the sub was definitely lacking.

I have the speakers from the 391 kit still if you want them for a really....PM it.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 9 Old 01-20-2012, 04:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

How big is your room?

Also if I WERE in your shoes (ME not you) (IMHO) (BIASED REPLY) (Gotta cover my tracks) I would get the Denon 591 at least to get the Audyssey MultEQ which can help you set up your room and such. If Audyssey isn't what you really care about I'd get the 391 still and use the saved money from not buying the onkyo and get a decent sub like the PL200 or such.

I have the speakers from the 391 kit still if you want them for a really....PM it.

The room is pretty large. It's open air with the kitchen, no divider of any kind. Vaunted ceilings too.

The Onkyo does have audyssey and a beefier sub (10")...are you saying that Denon is generally of better quality? Also I don't like the keyhole design for the satellites. I am currently using JBL SCS200 satellites and they have mounts that allow me to angle the speakers. Should I just keep these and replace the sub/AVR? Are the SCS200's comparable to the Denon or Onkyo satellites?

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #4 of 9 Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am also starting to read about audio dropout issues with this Onkyo. At first, I thought it was connectivity issues (wrong HDMI, etc..) but there are way too many reports about this...did Onkyo ever release some kind of fix?

Another question, with home theater, is it necessary to break in the sub, like with car subs? I used to break in my Kicker L7's on a 30hz sine wave continual loop for 24 hours with the cone doing about a 1" throw...

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #5 of 9 Old 01-20-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

How big is your room?

Thanks. I just looked up the 591 and again only one is available from a 3rd party and it's refurbished...should that concern me?

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #6 of 9 Old 01-21-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Wow, so many helpful responses! If I was deciding between a Panny and Sammy plasma tv, this thread would be 5 pages by now, lol!
At any rate, I'm definitely leaning towards the Onkyo. It's getting great reveiws, the AVR is high quality enough to survive any future upgrades for at least a while...and the speakers for the $ are very nice, spec wise. I like that they are 6 ohms. Less resistance equals less friction, equals less heat, equals better everything, lol. A 10" downfiring self powered sub is also a plus. It will be a great upgrade to the piecemeal set up I have now. Plus buying new direct from Amazon definitely sits better with me then a refurbished Denon from a 3rd party.

Looking forward to this, now I can move the current 5.1 sound into the bedroom (where we currently have an old 32" CRT with stereo L/R RCA connection to a small shelf hifi 2 speaker system) to await the ST30 once the 55" VT50 or 65" GT50 makes it to the living room.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #7 of 9 Old 01-22-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I've been using a denon avr refurbed for a while no probs. One way to see it is at least a tech checked it over unlike when it leaves the factory in china hah

Regardless of which you pick you'll be happy. I see it more as 5.1 or 7.1.

Sorry for the late response was at the other sections haha. If you need more help ask away

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #8 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have a Denon 391, for a couple of months used it in a big room, aprox. 15x45 ft, AND with a kitchen ALMOST open, with the original Denon speakers (not my favorite speakers) had no problems with the volume levels, sound filled ok the whole room, things changed a bit when bought my pioneer´s Andrew Jones line, sound quality was WAY BETTER than with the original speakers, but since pioneers are less sensitive I need to increase volume levels to have the same volume I had with Denons.

As Pokekevin said, If you don´t need Audyssei this is your system, if you DO need Audyssei go for the 591.

Just as "cultural" comment:
One sunday I used my Denon (Andrew Jones speakers [towers mainly] and PS3 as a the source) for 12 hours, in two "batches" of 5 and 7 hours, my Denon never "complained", the working temperature was warm at most the whole time at medium to high volume levels, it´s very relyable.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-25-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Anyone with an Onkyo that can chime in?

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List