Yamaha HTR-3064 receiver and Sony BDP-S480 Blu-ray player Dolby/DTS "issue"? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all! My first post. Hoping to find some help.

My old Yamaha receiver would display DTS or Dolby on the front display if one of those signals were detected. I'm running HDMI out of my Sony blu-ray player into the receiver, and then HDMI from the receiver to the TV.

I'm not getting the Dolby or DTS text on the screen, so I'm not sure if this is something that's so common now they've decided to not even show it or if, for some reason, the receiver isn't actually getting those true HD signals. I'm really hoping it's not the latter.

Does anyone have any idea or know how I can test if I'm getting true HD signals, and it's not just the receiver doing it's best to split the audio into the separate channels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
What does it say on your receiver when you're playing movies? It could be that your bluray player is decoding the audio and sending it as PCM to the receiver. That is fine cause thats what the receiver would've done if it received a TrueHD/DTS signal.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a picture of my receiver when it's playing a movie.

I have it set to a CinemaDSP preset, but it doesn't matter. When I try to select Surround Decode, it shows everything the same except the CinemaDSP logo. No Dolby or DST. And I'm playing Blu-Rays that do have one of those options.

Also, I went into my blu-ray settings and configured to not send as PCM. Still no idea.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 272
I have the same receiver (it's actually an RX-V371) and it plays everything just fine. For my BD player I have bitstream on for both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD and the Secondary Audio channel off. That way the BD player isn't doing any audio processing at all and just passes the bitstream to the Yamaha which decodes it using Straight processing and plays the audio as it was originally recorded/encoded.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitreally View Post

Here's a picture of my receiver when it's playing a movie.

I have it set to a CinemaDSP preset, but it doesn't matter. When I try to select Surround Decode, it shows everything the same except the CinemaDSP logo. No Dolby or DST. And I'm playing Blu-Rays that do have one of those options.

Also, I went into my blu-ray settings and configured to not send as PCM. Still no idea.

I see no picture? anyways try setting the bluray player to bitstream if you haven't

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #6 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I prefer to not use any of the DSP settings because I don't like any artificial sound processing. I'd rather hear a Blu-ray as it was originally recorded. Set your BD player to bitstream only (and make sure you have secondary audio disabled or whatever your player calls it). Use only Straight decoding on the Yamaha and see how a Blu-ray sounds. If you don't send the audio as a PCM stream and send the bitstream instead, the AVR will still decode the file and send it to the DAC as a PCM file so it can be turned back into an analog signal and sent to the speakers. Either way, it's still a PCM file. Think of a bitstream as a zip file. It's just a way to compress a large lossless audio file or whatever is there and send it off to the AVR for decompressing and processing. The artificial DSPs alter the file to add whatever "effect" you want.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-24-2012, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:

Does anyone have any idea or know how I can test if I'm getting true HD signals, and it's not just the receiver doing it's best to split the audio into the separate channels?

Hi waitreally, set receiver to "Straight" decoding and set the Blu-ray player HDMI Audio to "Auto" and BD Audio to "Direct" or "Off".
post #8 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 09:24 AM

I was under the impression that PCM was a downconverted format. I just bought a whole new setup. Samsung 51' 3d tv, Pioneer elite receiver, and a new samsung 3d blu ray player. I set the audio output from the blu ray player to unencoded bitstream and when I played Avatar, my pioneer stated that it was playing HD DTS MasterAudio. It sounded awesome. Unfortunately the blu ray player was having problems and when I went back to best buy, the sales people there said samsung has all kinds of problems, get a sony or panasonic. I went with a sony bdp-s580. It doesn't have the option to set the output to unencoded bitstream, only auto or pcm. I set it to auto and my receiver says that it is coming in as PCM and it just doesn't sound as good. Not bad by any means, but definately not as intense or accurate to me. What is even more strange, when I hit the audio button on the blu ray remote, it says it is in HD DTS MasterAudio. Can anyone explain whats up? I know my receiver can handle the hd dts signal and my Hdmi cables are pretty high quality 1.4 standard so I know it isn't that. I am tempted to return the sony and try the panasonic, or just try another samsung but I am wary of issues? Please enlighten me.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmassucco View Post

I went with a sony bdp-s580. It doesn't have the option to set the output to unencoded bitstream, only auto or pcm. I set it to auto and my receiver says that it is coming in as PCM and it just doesn't sound as good. Not bad by any means, but definately not as intense or accurate to me. What is even more strange, when I hit the audio button on the blu ray remote, it says it is in HD DTS MasterAudio. Can anyone explain whats up?

Hi gmassucco, beside setting "Audio HDMI" to "auto" also set "BD Audio Mix" to "off".
post #10 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 PM

Thank you. I will check to see if that works. I guess that takes out the secondary audio channel. Hopefully it works. I am not ultra thrilled with this BR player. There are not many reviews that I have found on it, does anyone have any other recommendations, or should I stick with the Sony S480? I would like to stick with a 3d player.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-02-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmassucco View Post

Thank you. I will check to see if that works. I guess that takes out the secondary audio channel. Hopefully it works. I am not ultra thrilled with this BR player. There are not many reviews that I have found on it, does anyone have any other recommendations, or should I stick with the Sony S480? I would like to stick with a 3d player.

I have the Panasonic BDT-210 and have been very happy with it. It plays very well with the HTR-3064 (RX-V371). The 210 is a 2D/3D player even though I don't have a 3D set. Just set it to bitstream with secondary audio off and you're good to go. BTW, there's no such thing as a 1.4 HDMI cable. The 1.4 is a hardware designation only. A certified High Speed HDMI cable from a reputable dealer/mfr is all you need. Monoprice, MediaBridge, etc make excellent cables for a fraction of what the "other" brand(s) will charge.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Bdp S480 Blu Ray Disc Player 3d 1080p
Gear in this thread - S480 by PriceGrabber.com