Onkyo HT-S8409 or Onkyo HT-S8409 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-27-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'm thinking about upgrading...no scratch that...I'm going to upgrade my current theater system. I currently have a HTIB Sony system from 5 years ago that went through a fire and is missing two speakers (it was a hand-me-down) Surprisingly, it still works but I digress.

Now I'm not an audiophile, a HTIB is plenty enough for me. But the question is which one? I've heard a lot of great things about Onkyo so I figured I'd see what Amazon had to offer. Lo and behold, I saw a lot of units marked down from their original price. The units that I'm currently interested in are:

Onkyo HT-S8409

and

Onkyo HT-S5400

I've got some concerns though and I'm not sure who to ask really, so here I am!

1) I live in an apartment complex and I don't want to have my neighbors beating down my door complaining about the noise. At the same time, I don't want to have to have the volume all the down. I know these systems are adjustable so I'm sure this is negligible.

2) I'm worried about heat buildup. I know these systems have a problem with it (or at least I've heard). My current set up has a PS3, Xbox, and HD cable box connected to my HDTV and an optical cable running down to the HTIB. I'm not sure which is the best set-up for these system and I don't want them to over-heat. Having said that, can an optical cable support 7.1? Or should I run everything through the receiver anyway?

3) Are these the latest models?

4) Lastly, is the up scaling on the Onkyo HT-S8409 really worth it?

I'm new to all this (first post on these forums ) so if there is anything else I should be aware of before I buy, please let me know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-29-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone give me some help?
post #3 of 21 Old 01-29-2012, 06:38 PM

Hello,

I would skip the htib and buy seperate.

RECEIVER

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117397 for $189

SPEAKERS

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-S606HCS3-...7890833&sr=1-1 for $449

or

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-S426HCS3-...7890833&sr=1-2 for $316

This setup will sound SOOOOOOO much better than the HTIB.
post #4 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Hey wowyahoo,

I appreciate the answer but it doesn't really help me out. A HITB is perfectly fine for me, I don't need to mix and match an entire system from scratch. I appreciate the suggestion but I'd rather get answers between the two models I posted.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhYeahitsJosh View Post

Hey wowyahoo,

I appreciate the answer but it doesn't really help me out. A HITB is perfectly fine for me, I don't need to mix and match an entire system from scratch. I appreciate the suggestion but I'd rather get answers between the two models I posted.

Then you will settle for less, much less.

The difference will be negligible, onkyo is known for making receivers not speakers.

Go for the cheaper model so when you pull your head out of your *** (think clearly) you will have more money to invest in some decent speakers.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The difference will be negligible, onkyo is known for making receivers not speakers.

Go for the cheaper model so when you pull your head out of your *** (think clearly) you will have more money to invest in some decent speakers.

That's really uncalled for man. I was simply asking a couple of questions. There's no need act like a child.
post #7 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

So I'm thinking about upgrading...no scratch that...I'm going to upgrade my current theater system. I currently have a HTIB Sony system from 5 years ago that went through a fire and is missing two speakers (it was a hand-me-down) Surprisingly, it still works but I digress.

Now I'm not an audiophile, a HTIB is plenty enough for me. But the question is which one? I've heard a lot of great things about Onkyo so I figured I'd see what Amazon had to offer. Lo and behold, I saw a lot of units marked down from their original price. The units that I'm currently interested in are:

Onkyo HT-S8409

and

Onkyo HT-S5400

I've got some concerns though and I'm not sure who to ask really, so here I am!

1) I live in an apartment complex and I don't want to have my neighbors beating down my door complaining about the noise. At the same time, I don't want to have to have the volume all the down. I know these systems are adjustable so I'm sure this is negligible.

2) I'm worried about heat buildup. I know these systems have a problem with it (or at least I've heard). My current set up has a PS3, Xbox, and HD cable box connected to my HDTV and an optical cable running down to the HTIB. I'm not sure which is the best set-up for these system and I don't want them to over-heat. Having said that, can an optical cable support 7.1? Or should I run everything through the receiver anyway?

3) Are these the latest models?

4) Lastly, is the up scaling on the Onkyo HT-S8409 really worth it?

I'm new to all this (first post on these forums ) so if there is anything else I should be aware of before I buy, please let me know. Thanks!

Hey bud

Honestly going from htib to another is not well liked here. But don't get me wrong you can still do it. I went from a Sammy htib to a denon htib and was pleased. But still I realized I should've just saved up for a better system to start with. What are you expecting from this upgrade?

-Kevin

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #8 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 03:15 PM

Wow, what an a$$... I also find it interesting that a guy that has that much disdain for HTiB systems would find himself answering questions in an HTiB forum.

Anyways, I'm in the process of purchasing my first HTiB system, so I have been doing A LOT of research. My main concern with the Onkyo system is the sheer AMOUNT of complaints that I hear about audio drop out. If it were here or there, no big deal, but whenever Onkyo is brought up, the audio dropout issue is soon to follow. Particularly with the S5400. I can't say I experienced it myself since I've never owned one, just a heads up on something that you might want to look into.

Also, just FYI, after doing some research, I think I have my mind set on the DENON DHT-591BA. It's only 5.1, which I would think would be plenty enough for an appt. It's also in the price range of the Onkyo's you were looking at. Just wanted to throw you another option. Hope that helps!
post #9 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Sorry, i'm not trying to be disrepectful, it is just my personality. There are some well-known issues when communicating online, since you cannot read body language. Good luck with your search.

I simply do not see the rationale in buying a HTIB when your budget allows for a better sound system.

"you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"

once again good luck and any system is sure to sound better than tv speakers
post #10 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

That's really uncalled for man. I was simply asking a couple of questions. There's no need act like a child.

Listen man, he is giving you good advice. I have bought the S8400 few months ago.

It is a good system, it get you to 2nd base. If you want to hit the grand slam, break down your system and buy in pieces.

I am upgrading my tower speaker and center speaker to JBL and it will be here tomorrow.
post #11 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowyahoo View Post

Hello,

I would skip the htib and buy seperate.

RECEIVER

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882117397 for $189

SPEAKERS

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-S606HCS3-...7890833&sr=1-1 for $449

or

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-S426HCS3-...7890833&sr=1-2 for $316

This setup will sound SOOOOOOO much better than the HTIB.

How did you price the receiver at 189? I clicked your link and it is 330?
post #12 of 21 Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMyGeggo View Post

How did you price the receiver at 189? I clicked your link and it is 330?

A promo was going on. You're a day late and dollar short.
post #13 of 21 Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowyahoo View Post

Telling someone to pull their head out of their anus is not the best way to get people to heed your advice.....

OP, personally I would go with a similar setup using a receiver and some good bookself speakers. That will give you good upgrade without busting your budget.

Also carefully read through the threads on the Onkyo systems for any known reliability issues before making your choice...

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #14 of 21 Old 02-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:

I was going to ask the same question here because years ago I was helped a lot with my flat screen on this forum.
But now it looks like a bunch of arrogant audiophiles have taken over. I know separate components are the best most of the time. But I haven't the time to research a 7.1 av receiver and a matching set off speaker. Nor do I have as much money to throw around.
The Onkyo HT-S8409 and Onkyo HT-S5400 are high rated HTiB. Some how I doubt that a $189 Pioneer receiver is any better. Yes the speakers might be better.
Oh and I forgot the Onkyo receivers are 7.1 not 5.1 like your $189 Pioneer.

This forum used to help people with any level of AV questions and equipment. I hate to think that every one here has become to good for non audiophiles.

I used to be an audiophile when I was young. Now I want to watch my TV through a decent sound system. Not one to blow me away and impress my friends. In my real world of children and 3 grandchildren running around with 4 dogs. I doubt a $5000 set up would sound much different.
The Onkyo HT-S5400 is $360 on Amazon. What one did you decide on? Both have my attention also.
post #15 of 21 Old 01-30-2013, 06:45 AM

Today on Woot, the HT-S8409 NEW for $499.99. Its a great price. I'd jump on it. I wont be ready for a sound system for my future theater for probably a year and i am still contemplating it.

post #16 of 21 Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 AM

post #17 of 21 Old 01-30-2013, 09:10 AM

Liked: 11
Yea that woot deal has me looking as well... Just a matter of timing and funds at this point frown.gif

-R
post #18 of 21 Old 01-30-2013, 09:12 AM

Woot is the reason that brought me here today.
post #19 of 21 Old 01-30-2013, 10:15 AM

The shipping from Woot is only $5 as opposed to Acessories4less's $499 refurb which is $60+, plus you're getting the system brand new from Woot and not a refurb... Just things to consider. The system comes with a Onkyo 609 AV Receiver which goes for over $320 (shipped) as a refurb (still $600-ish new), so slowly replacing the included speakers with better ones would be simple... Basically you're getting a $320 receiver (when purchased refurbished) and then getting 7 speakers and a sub for an extra $180 here. It's kinda worth it IMO. I've been going back-and-forth with buying this or building my own (with a TX609 as my receiver) for over a week now and I've decided to go ahead with this and, if I'm not satisfied with the speakers, I'll replace the two rear's in a month or two, then the towers, then the center, then the sub, then the sides (or until I'm happy). smile.gif
post #20 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 11:44 AM

Does anyone know i this bad boy has HDMI 1.3 or 1.4? Haven't been able to find the information. I've had this HTIB since last summer..and want to get one of those new Google Chromecast HDMI dongles. It needs charging and I believe if this is HDMI 1.4 it will charge just from being in the HDMI port, otherwise I'll have to connect it to USB also for charging.
post #21 of 21 Old 07-25-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 381
The Onkyo TX-NR609 is a HDMI 1.4 receiver, but doesn't mean it'll charge your Google Chromecast HDMI dongle.

Afro GT
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Onkyo Ht S8409 7 1 Channel Network A V Receiver Speaker Package
Gear in this thread - S8409 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page