How to ensure a home theater will display on-screen volume control? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, a home theater newbie here. Question for you all if you don't mind: I am looking to buy a very inexpensive set of speakers to use with my new Samsung UN46D8000 TV we just bought, since the TV speakers are pretty bad. As I understand it, I need to connect whatever speakers I buy to either an amplifier or a receiver, and then connect that to the TV. However, I need to ensure that whatever home theater setup I buy will display an on-screen volume display on the TV itself. Question is, how do I ensure that whatever home theater setup I buy will do this?

For example, I'm looking into the Samsung HT-D550 home theater system (very inexpensive, I know), and from what I'm guessing, if I connect it to the HDMI-ARC port on my TV, then it will display an on-screen volume display when I change the volume, no matter what HDMI port is currently outputting video to the TV, is that correct? Doing this, however, makes me feel like I have to buy a Samsung brand home theater system only, or else I won't get an on-screen volume control display shown, since a Samsung system uses their "Anynet+" for their HDMI-CEC control.

I know I might not being entirely articulate, but any help you could all provide would be most appreciated. I just want to make sure I get an on-screen volume display, no matter what system I buy. Thanks!

- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 01:14 PM

Liked: 32
If you are going to use a audio receiver to do the sound for the tv, you can only use the volume control on said audio receiver to control, not the tv, when you turn the speakers off on the tv. Even if you have the speakers on on the tv, the sound out of the audio receiver can still only be controlled from said receiver, not the tv.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncpatterson View Post

I know I might not being entirely articulate, but any help you could all provide would be most appreciated. I just want to make sure I get an on-screen volume display, no matter what system I buy. Thanks!

- John

You don't HAVE to buy a Samsung HT system if there is something else that fits your needs better. What you DO want is to make sure the receiver supports HDMI-CTL (CEC). Sammy's Anynet+ should work with it although there's no guarantee that two different manufacturer's CEC will communicate. They usually do though.

You connect your devices to the receiver and then connect receiver to your HDMI2 port. Once HDMI-CTL is turned on and working on both TV & receiver, you can use your TV remote or receiver remote to adjust volume. You will see the receiver's volume control display on the screen. Since you're not using the TV speakers, you won't see the TV volume display.
post #4 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Do you by chance "have" to plug all of the devices into the receiver itself (such as a Blu-ray player) vs. plugging them into the TV to get the volume to display? For example, can I plug a DVD player/amplifier/speakers (not a receiver) into the HDMI 2 port, and my Blu-ray player into the HDMI 3 port, and still have the on-screen volume display for the external speakers?

Thanks!
post #5 of 11 Old 02-10-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 130
There is no simple answer to this question. It depends on the capabilities of the specific equipment and how it is connected.

I'm curious. Why is on screen volume so important?
post #6 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

To answer the first part of your reply, say if I connect a Samsung HT-D550 system or a Panasonic SC-XH150 system, to my Samsung UN46D8000 TV. Those aren't receivers necessarily, but they do provide 5.1 surround sound with an amplifier and are marketed as "home theaters in a box." If I connect my PS3 to the TV on a different HDMI port than those systems, would one of those systems provide audio output for the PS3, even though the speakers are plugged into an entirely different HDMI port?

And to answer the second question, when you're on the couch controlling the volume, you want to be able to hear AND see the volume change, not just hear it, if that makes sense.

Thanks!
post #7 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 130
You should connect components directly to the sound system rather than running audio through the TV. Most TVs output stereo, not discrete 5.1, from devices attached using HDMI.

I don't have an on screen display. I can see the AVR display for things like audio formats, surround modes, and volume. On screen displays are nice, but not a big deal for me.
post #8 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To answer the first part of your reply, say if I connect a Samsung HT-D550 system or a Panasonic SC-XH150 system, to my Samsung UN46D8000 TV. Those aren't receivers necessarily, but they do provide 5.1 surround sound with an amplifier and are marketed as "home theaters in a box." If I connect my PS3 to the TV on a different HDMI port than those systems, would one of those systems provide audio output for the PS3, even though the speakers are plugged into an entirely different HDMI port?

And to answer the second question, when you're on the couch controlling the volume, you want to be able to hear AND see the volume change, not just hear it, if that makes sense.

Thanks!

With the two HTiB systems you mentioned, you would HAVE to connect your PS3 (and any other devices you have) to your TV, since neither of those HTiBs provide connectivity for other components. They both DO have CEC/ARC though, so the ARC feature would send audio out from your TV to the speakers attached to the BD player/amp. As Bislander said, you normally wouldn't want to run audio through the TV, but with those two systems you'd have no choice.

As for whether you'd see a volume display on screen with either system, I've no idea. I've never found it important to "see" the volume change. I just let my ears do the work.
post #9 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

I understand, thank you both. Just to confirm what Possumgirl was saying though, with those systems I mentioned connected to HDMI port 3 (the ARC port on the TV), I can be watching something on my PS3 connected to port 2, and still hear at least stereo sound from the speakers connected to port 3? Of course, I would change the correct setting on the TV to make sure it knew to output the sound to the external speakers.

Thanks!
post #10 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand, thank you both. Just to confirm what Possumgirl was saying though, with those systems I mentioned connected to HDMI port 3 (the ARC port on the TV), I can be watching something on my PS3 connected to port 2, and still hear at least stereo sound from the speakers connected to port 3? Of course, I would change the correct setting on the TV to make sure it knew to output the sound to the external speakers.

Thanks!

As long as the HT system you get supports ARC, you just connect it to the ARC port on your Sammy (I think that's HDMI2). Make sure you have Anynet+ turned on and enable ARC on the HT system. You can connect your PS3 to any of the other HDMI ports on the Sammy. Audio from the PS3 and from TV's internet apps will be output to the HT speakers.

I've read on other threads that Sammys will output 5.1 audio from connected devices. Not sure if that's the case, but you may get better than stereo after all.
post #11 of 11 Old 02-13-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! :-)
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page