Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle CT View Post

How did those stands work out for you?

Can anyone recommend speaker stands for the front?

Im using these smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280960081530?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

But I recently replaced my front stage with Polk Audio CS2 and (2) Monitor Series II 40, for those I use these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180823798924?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 157 Old 04-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought a 9400thx from Newegg on special for $599, no S/H cost as I picked it up. Been enjoying, 1st thing I did was upgraded wire to 14g wire and added banana clips to connect to the amp.

Girlfriend Freaked at the size of the speakers(her house)eek.gif....but since I'm building in the entire wall to fit a 70" Sharp and all the other electronics/speakers etc....that has softened the blow....cool.gif

Now for the Sacrilege....I got older style(heavier than "Redline") Bose dbl cubes for my back speakers to replace the monster Onky's....Use the audyss setup and frankly...it sounds pretty good...and the peace at home doesn't hurt either!!...however, there is that little matter about the side speakers...so stay tuned...

DonQuixote100[/SIZE
R]

Isn't it true that the only time you have ever really benefited from
anything in your life was when you said " Yes " instead of " No "?[[
CENTER]SIZE]

Isn't it true that the only time you ever really benefitted
from anything is when you said YES instead of NO??[[[
/CENTER]/I]/SIZE]
post #93 of 157 Old 05-05-2013, 04:47 PM

Liked: 10
For those if you that are currently running the 9400, it sounds like the set up is great for bluray movies, but what about general stereo listening? Does the thx mode ruin this, or dies it just automatically switch off during certain modes like radio tuner?
post #94 of 157 Old 05-05-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan2 View Post

For those if you that are currently running the 9400, it sounds like the set up is great for bluray movies, but what about general stereo listening? Does the thx mode ruin this, or dies it just automatically switch off during certain modes like radio tuner?

I've had mine for a little over 2 months now. I love this setup, despite the speakers being larger than I anticipated. (So much for visualizing their size - maybe I need a better tape measure ... smile.gif ) You can set the listening mode for each different connections, e.g. TV, BluRay, Tuner, iPod, etc. I have mine all set for THX Cinema. It sound the best to me as the THX Cinema kicks in the Read Surrounds and I like the music coming from all sides.
post #95 of 157 Old 05-13-2013, 10:40 PM

Thinking about buying this, just had a question about HDMI cables. I'm still using a 12 year old reciever with no HDMI inputs. I use optical cables. If I want to do away with the optical cables for my PS3 and XBOX and get all sound and picture only from HDMI cables, how does this work? Will any HDMI work, or do I need a certain version? The current version is 1.4 I believe. Not sure what type mine are. Is there any benefit to switching from optical to HDMI other than having less cable mess?
post #96 of 157 Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassage View Post

Thinking about buying this, just had a question about HDMI cables. I'm still using a 12 year old reciever with no HDMI inputs. I use optical cables. If I want to do away with the optical cables for my PS3 and XBOX and get all sound and picture only from HDMI cables, how does this work? Will any HDMI work, or do I need a certain version? The current version is 1.4 I believe. Not sure what type mine are. Is there any benefit to switching from optical to HDMI other than having less cable mess?

I am assuming you are thinking of buying the Onkyo S9400 HTIB. There are only 2 HDMI cable ratings high speed and low, that has more to do with gage and length. The 1.4 is a version number that has to do with the HDMI components used in audio/video gear. The Onkyo 9400 is a nice set that engineered to work with HDMI. For more information on on HDMI there are 2 vendors with links at the bottom of page that have a lot on offer about cables, Monoprice.com and bluejeanscable.com.
post #97 of 157 Old 05-14-2013, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
HDMI supports high-res lossless codecs, such as TrueHD, and multichannel PCM. Optical is limited to the lossy codecs and stereo PCM.

When it comes to audio, any HDMI cable will do. High speed cables are recommended for 1080p video and 3D, although standard cables will often work for those features, too, especially over short distances. Just get high speed cables and you'll be good to go for everything. HDMI version numbers do not refer to cables, btw. They describe the functions of the transmitting and receiving equipment, not the cables connecting them.
post #98 of 157 Old 05-14-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

HDMI supports high-res lossless codecs, such as TrueHD, and multichannel PCM. Optical is limited to the lossy codecs and stereo PCM.

When it comes to audio, any HDMI cable will do. High speed cables are recommended for 1080p video and 3D, although standard cables will often work for those features, too, especially over short distances. Just get high speed cables and you'll be good to go for everything. HDMI version numbers do not refer to cables, btw. They describe the functions of the transmitting and receiving equipment, not the cables connecting them.

Thanks. Just checked, and saw the specs for my cables. I have these cables, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031TRZX2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Looks like they will do fine.
post #99 of 157 Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Yes, those cables will be fine. The Ethernet part has no use at present as there are no consumer devices that support Ethernet over HDMI.
post #100 of 157 Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 PM

anybody have an idea, of how I could mount the front left and right speakers above my screen sideways, while still being able to point them at me, can I move the brace to the middle of the speaker and just buy a heavier mount, or use two mounts somehow????
post #101 of 157 Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
If at all possible you don't want to mount them horizontally. Placing an MTM speaker horizontally really messes up its dispertion (radiating) pattern. In a perfect ideal world you would have an acoustically transparent screen and you would mount 3 identical vertically oriented speakers behind the screen with the tweeters at seated ear level.

Do you have any other placement options?

Shawn
post #102 of 157 Old 07-24-2013, 10:24 AM

no not really without making my screen smaller, I know it won't sound the same, but it is the best option. just wanted to see if there was any way to do it that I missed. Was going to buy six L shaped braces and try to angel the speakers on them with wedges.
post #103 of 157 Old 11-21-2013, 04:29 PM

Liked: 11
I to am considering this system. I had to part with my Marantz AV7701 and pro audio monitors so this seems to be a good re-starter system that you can build off of. If I get it the sub will go and be replaced with a pair of SVS SB13 Ultra's. I care more for music reproduction so I'd like to know how it performs in that catigory.
post #104 of 157 Old 11-26-2013, 04:49 PM

hi, i buy a ht.9400 thx, and the tweeter burned, and i need now usa shop, to buy a new one, if now some shop please notice me. please,

thank`s
post #105 of 157 Old 11-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

well I replaced my front stage with Polk Audio, my sides and rear are still the Onkyo THX speakers.

post #106 of 157 Old 11-27-2013, 05:05 AM

Wili, depending on the age and if you bought it from an authorized dealer it may be under warrenty. Go to http://www.onkyousa.com/ and find an authorized repair shop. But honestly those speakers are cheap to make the unit as a whole affordable. Just replace the whole speaker. Less headache and you can get what you really want.
post #107 of 157 Old 11-27-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Acually those speakers are not bad speakers at all... I have installed 2 different Onkyo THX systems for ppl and they sound really good for the price. Honestly I like the sound of the Onkyo THX speakers better than the Klipsch Icon or Synergy Series and better than Polk Monitor 30s.

Wili I would contact Onkyo and see what they will do about it. See if you can buy a replacement speaker if they won't fix it...... The bad thing about trying to just go buy a Polk or a different speaker to replace that one is then if it was one of the front 3 speakers then you should replace all 3 to have matching speakrs. If it was a rear speaker then at a minimum you would need to replace 2 speakers but probably all 4 surrounds.

Shawn
post #108 of 157 Old 11-28-2013, 10:16 AM

Howdy folks, recently grabbed this system for $299 from Newegg's eBay side of things (it's not named that, but in ended up picking it up from their wharehouse in SoCal).
Sounds great so far but I'm having an issue that I assume is simply a setting I'm missing somewhere since I'm a newcomer to the "reciever" game.

I have a Sony BluRay and Xbox 360 both feeding into the reciever via HDMI which feeds to a Vizio E701-A3 via HDMI as well.

The problem is that we are some of those strange people that enjoy the "soap opera effect". When running netflix through the baked in TV app, the effect works fine. When running it through the Xbox or BluRay the effect does not work. It also does not work for BluRay disks.

I've been poking around the settings but haven't been able to make a difference so far.

I reckon I could break the data from video via HDMI to TV and audio vio optical to the reciever but it feels like a lot of work to accomplish a goal.

Thanks for any help and Happy Thanksgiving to those in the US.
post #109 of 157 Old 12-03-2013, 02:09 PM

turn off the clear motion setting or set to 60hrtz.
post #110 of 157 Old 12-03-2013, 02:11 PM

turn off the clear motion setting or set to 60hrtz. It will help some. Vizio I do believe have the same motherboard as Samsungs I could be wrong. Samsungs and Vizio are notorious for the soap opera effect. I encountered this installing CATV in peoples house. Its in the refresh rate in the TV not the output devices. My opinion LG plasmas are the best tv's I have run across. Your receiver is fine. This can be changed for each input on the TV. Hope that helped.
post #111 of 157 Old 12-04-2013, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Turn Smooth motion all the way up under advanced settings on your vizio. Here are some settings I found in the Vizio E701-A3 owners thread which you can change under the advanced picture options.

Advanced
SME high
RCM precision
Noise reduction low
MPEG off
Color enhancemeny rich
Adaptive Strong
Film auto
off
off

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
Blu-Ray Sony Ps3
Xbox One
Samsung UN46D8000
post #112 of 157 Old 12-04-2013, 04:42 AM

Wow don't I feel dumb. I totally misread your post.
post #113 of 157 Old 12-25-2013, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
So I have had my 9400 since July now and am enjoying it for the most part. I was wondering how everyone else is doing with theirs and how they have settled in to using it e.g room size, settings and MV (as related to 0 Reference).

My room measures 12 ft. wide by 19 ft. long and 7 ft. high.
Audyssey set levels from -1 to 1.
Distances for speakers are 6 to 9 ft. I sit 7.5 ft from screen/center.
I listen at -15 to -12.

The systems main use is 90% Blu ray 10% music. (Music in 2 channel only). I have been pleasantly surprised as I came from a "Top of the line" Samsung HTIB and the system has made me smile since purchased. I already plan on upgrading in a couple of months though by no fault of the system, I just caught the upgrade bug quicker then I thought I would haha. I was bored and wanted to see if any other fellow Owners had anything to say about this great entry level system into the world of Home Theaters!

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
Blu-Ray Sony Ps3
Xbox One
Samsung UN46D8000
post #114 of 157 Old 12-25-2013, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

I have been loving mine and well I still stand behind this being the best Home Theater in a Box option especially for its price point and what you get it from it. smile.gif
Niroe64 likes this.

post #115 of 157 Old 01-19-2014, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 48
It's definitely the best at it's price point. When I got mine I was in an apartment with no room to get good channel separation of the surrounds and rears. Now that I'm in a house, I've got it almost correctly set up (my left surround is too far back, but it can't come forward, as it will be in the path people walk in), and it sounds AMAZING. ESPN games sound especially good, as they mix their audio very well. A lot of TV shows have really crummy surround sound, but when I find something that's good, it sounds AMAZING. My roommates were watching the eggball game tonight, so I watched a couple of minutes of it, and it sounded AMAZING on the THX. FOX did a really good job mixing the sound for it.
post #116 of 157 Old 02-09-2014, 08:23 PM

You guys got some good deals. I can't find this system for anywhere near these prices. All at $900+. I just got back from a few years working in Singapore, so I'm a little late for the party. If anyone finds a deal, I would appreciate a PM.

Thanks.
post #117 of 157 Old 02-10-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I honestly haven't seen this system available from too many places lately. I'm wondering if Onkyo is working on a new version of it.... If you really want a good deal then you'll need to buy a refurbished unit. Keep checking in at shoponkyo.com (sign up and register as a member) and accessories4less.com as both those sites are authorized Onkyo sellers and sell refurb units.

Shawn
post #118 of 157 Old 02-10-2014, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Onkyo is indeed working on a new package that will replace this package but I still see no reason yet to upgrade my receiver lol

post #119 of 157 Old 02-11-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I wish they would take this system and give it a 7.2 Network Receiver with a minimum of Audyssey Mult EQ and have all 7 speakers be identical just like the front 3 are now and provide vertical and horizontal mounting holes for all of them, AND have 2 of those subs. I think if they would do that and if the street price was like $800 to $900 for the 7.2 system it would probably sell really well.

Shawn
post #120 of 157 Old 02-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
There is a new firmware update (10/18/2013) for this receiver that is only available for download off of Onkyo's website. They state that there was some issues with the Ethernet download so it is not available that way.
Here is the change log for the update and instruction to do it.
http://filedepot.onkyousa.com/Files/own_manuals/Firmware_Update_for_the_TX609_HT360_10_18_13.pdf

Click on the downloads tab that is between Specs and Video.
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/model.php?m=HT-S9400THX&class=Systems&source=prodClass

Click on the Firmware USB Download tab and save to your computer.

Latest Firmware Version: 1141-1700-0010-9107
Daniel Chaves likes this.

"You lose it in here you're in a world of hurt"
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Ht S9400thx 7 1 Channel Network A V Receiver Speaker Package , Onkyo Tx Nr900 Thx Select 7 1 Channel Digital Surround Receiver , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page