post #121 of 156 Old 02-18-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

You need bigger front channels than the surrounds... the fronts are driving the audio while the surrounds are doing just that... surround. Also, most people don't need two subs. My guess is making a 4k-ready version with some other minor tweaks. I'm sure it will still be an excellent setup!

Actually the IDEAL system is for ALL SPEAKERS whether its 5, 7, 9, or 11 to be IDENTICAL and VERTICALLY ORIENTED, this gives the most seamless sound stage. Especially for Multichannel Music you want the speakers to be the same to re-create the music properly.

As far as subs, actually for proper bass throughout the listening area most ppl do need 2, 3, or 4 subs. Having multiple subs isn't just about adding more bass SPL its about smoothing out the frequency response all across the room, you want to place the multiple subs where they work best to eliminate peaks and nulls. I used to have systems with 1 sub then I went to 2 subs and I can tell you the difference is HUGE, I will never go back to one sub again.

Also I have installed the 9100THX and the 9300THX for 2 different customers, and I will be installing the 9400THX for another customer here soon. It is a very respectable system and is the best HTIB on the market and I don't think you can do better for the price especially considering my latest customer bought his refurb and on sale for $482.

I used to have the Onkyo HT-SR800 surround system, which I got refurbished for under half price, then later on I picked up another refurb HT-SR800, then I ordered another center channel from that system. So what I did was I ran 7 identical LCR speakers I had the front Left and Right and also the surround back left and right as vertically oriented, and I had the center and left and right side surrounds horizontally oriented and I also used both subs from this system. That was my first 7.2 experience then I moved up into what I have now. Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver, BIC/Acoustech Speakers: 2 - PL-89 towers, 1 - PL-28 center, and 4 - PL-66 surrounds. I also have 2 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus Subwoofers. While I love the system I have if I ever build another system I will probably go with 7 identical LCR type speakers and either 2 or 4 subwoofers.

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 156 Old 02-18-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Actually the IDEAL system is for ALL SPEAKERS whether its 5, 7, 9, or 11 to be IDENTICAL and VERTICALLY ORIENTED, this gives the most seamless sound stage. Especially for Multichannel Music you want the speakers to be the same to re-create the music properly.

As far as subs, actually for proper bass throughout the listening area most ppl do need 2, 3, or 4 subs. Having multiple subs isn't just about adding more bass SPL its about smoothing out the frequency response all across the room, you want to place the multiple subs where they work best to eliminate peaks and nulls. I used to have systems with 1 sub then I went to 2 subs and I can tell you the difference is HUGE, I will never go back to one sub again.

Also I have installed the 9100THX and the 9300THX for 2 different customers, and I will be installing the 9400THX for another customer here soon. It is a very respectable system and is the best HTIB on the market and I don't think you can do better for the price especially considering my latest customer bought his refurb and on sale for $482.

I used to have the Onkyo HT-SR800 surround system, which I got refurbished for under half price, then later on I picked up another refurb HT-SR800, then I ordered another center channel from that system. So what I did was I ran 7 identical LCR speakers I had the front Left and Right and also the surround back left and right as vertically oriented, and I had the center and left and right side surrounds horizontally oriented and I also used both subs from this system. That was my first 7.2 experience then I moved up into what I have now. Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver, BIC/Acoustech Speakers: 2 - PL-89 towers, 1 - PL-28 center, and 4 - PL-66 surrounds. I also have 2 Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus Subwoofers. While I love the system I have if I ever build another system I will probably go with 7 identical LCR type speakers and either 2 or 4 subwoofers.

I disagree. You want more power up front to give a nice sound stage. The center does the most work, followed by L and R. Then the surrounds, and finally the rear surrounds, which do the least work (and nothing at all if you're running Direct mode from most sources that are only 5.1).

I'm not doubting that more subs would be awesome, but for a system in the $700 price range, more subs is not in the cards. For a several thousand dollar, custom built system, two or even four subs would be pretty awesome. I'm not convinced my sub does much of anything, but then again I watch mostly cable content, and most of it is very light on the bass anyways. It did sound pretty good when one of my roommates was blowing **** up in GTA 5 though. That game pushed the XBOX 360, and the surround sound, to the limit.
post #123 of 156 Old 02-19-2014, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. But I'm sure if you ask a question like this in the speakers section you will get the same kind of answer I gave.

I do agree however that asking for 7 identical speakers and 2 identical subs in an under $1k system is probably too much and not gunna happen. But hey nice to think about.

Shawn
post #124 of 156 Old 02-20-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. But I'm sure if you ask a question like this in the speakers section you will get the same kind of answer I gave.

I do agree however that asking for 7 identical speakers and 2 identical subs in an under $1k system is probably too much and not gunna happen. But hey nice to think about.

No matter what my budget was, I wouldn't think of wanting 7 identical speakers. I'd think of putting more money into my front sound stage, likely the most into the center channel, in order to build the best surround sound around me for whatever my budget was. I would think about 2 or 4 subs though for bass-heavy stuff.
post #125 of 156 Old 02-20-2014, 03:37 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Any idea where they got the $482 deal for refurb HT-S9400?  I would love to get that also!

post #126 of 156 Old 02-21-2014, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah it was on shoponkyo.com the system was refurbished, plus I am a club memeber so I get club pricing PLUS there was a big sale for Father's Day last year I think it was an aditional 20% off which took the price to about $520 then I had 38 points which equates to $38 off, you get point by buying stuff from them and also from registering your product.

Shawn
post #127 of 156 Old 02-21-2014, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No matter what my budget was, I wouldn't think of wanting 7 identical speakers. I'd think of putting more money into my front sound stage, likely the most into the center channel, in order to build the best surround sound around me for whatever my budget was. I would think about 2 or 4 subs though for bass-heavy stuff.

That is fine. And you are correct that the front 3 speakers are more important than your 4 surrounds. The BEST setup is 7 identical vertically oriented speakers, the 2nd best setup is 3 identical vertically oriented speakers for the front then 4 identical (but different from front) speakers for the surrounds, then the next is what most ppl have 2 identical speakers for front L&R, 1 horizontal center, and 4 identical surrounds.

If you want check out threads on all the disadvantages of horizontal center speakers and comb filtering and the such.

Shawn
post #128 of 156 Old 02-24-2014, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is fine. And you are correct that the front 3 speakers are more important than your 4 surrounds. The BEST setup is 7 identical vertically oriented speakers, the 2nd best setup is 3 identical vertically oriented speakers for the front then 4 identical (but different from front) speakers for the surrounds, then the next is what most ppl have 2 identical speakers for front L&R, 1 horizontal center, and 4 identical surrounds.

If you want check out threads on all the disadvantages of horizontal center speakers and comb filtering and the such.

What? A vertically oriented center? That makes NO sense. The S9400THX has a very similar center and L/R speaker design, but you have to have the center being horizontal...
post #129 of 156 Old 02-24-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

What? A vertically oriented center? That makes NO sense. The S9400THX has a very similar center and L/R speaker design, but you have to have the center being horizontal...

He is right about the vertical stacked center but left out the part that such a configuration tends to be used in Home Theaters with Acoustically Transparent Projection Screens, horizontal speakers have an issue with their sound wave crossing and canceling out certain frequencies, there is a very in-depth video interview that you can watch on Home Theater Geeks. smile.gif

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + ChromeCast
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #130 of 156 Old 02-24-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes a vertically oriented center speaker. I mean think about it if horizontal was best audiophiles would be buying horizontal front left and right for stereo... Fact is the only reason a horizontal center exists is for 2 reasons: (1. most ppl don't have room for a vertical center speaker because they place the speaker either above or below their TV, (2. this makes for great marketing opportunities for companies to say they have a dedicated center speaker. You may have heard some companies say their center speaker is specially designed to recreate voices the best, well that is a bunch of BS. The center speaker's job isn't to recreate voices, its job is to play whatever sound information is designed to come from front and center, which yes does contain a lot of dialog.

And Onkyo's THX speakers are identical for the front 3 the only difference is where the THX name plate is at on the grill and the mounting key holes are set up horizontally for the center and vertically for the L&R.

Daniel is right about the issues that horizontal speakers have in sound waves crossing and canceling out certain frequencies, its called comb filtering and it usually happens around the important frequencies at the crossover from mid/woofer to tweeter.

Shawn
post #131 of 156 Old 02-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Watch these two videos, they will inform you on major aspects of sound properties and so forth, very informative,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raAyF5ksbkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_DQWB0mAOo

AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + ChromeCast
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #132 of 156 Old 02-25-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

He is right about the vertical stacked center but left out the part that such a configuration tends to be used in Home Theaters with Acoustically Transparent Projection Screens, horizontal speakers have an issue with their sound wave crossing and canceling out certain frequencies, there is a very in-depth video interview that you can watch on Home Theater Geeks. smile.gif

Ooooooookay. I'll keep my horizontal center, thank you very much.
post #133 of 156 Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Hey Shawn I'm in York.  Any possibility of you having availability for a critique of my theater room?

I'm going with the 9400THX and Optoma HD25e.

post #134 of 156 Old 03-06-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collectionaire View Post

Hey Shawn I'm in York.  Any possibility of you having availability for a critique of my theater room?

I'm going with the 9400THX and Optoma HD25e.

I sent you a Private Message.

Shawn
post #135 of 156 Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quick question. I'm about to install my tv and this receiver with a ps3. I was planning on running:

PS3>Receiver>TV
Cable box>Receiver>TV

using 3 hdmi cables. Is this the smartest setup? I'll still be able to get audio to pass through to the tv without powering on the receiver, correct?

If my wife wanted to play an exercise dvd on the ps3 and use a different audio source, say an ipod, through the speakers, would that work? Thanks.
post #136 of 156 Old 06-18-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garface View Post
Quick question. I'm about to install my tv and this receiver with a ps3. I was planning on running:

PS3>Receiver>TV
Cable box>Receiver>TV

using 3 hdmi cables. Is this the smartest setup? I'll still be able to get audio to pass through to the tv without powering on the receiver, correct?

If my wife wanted to play an exercise dvd on the ps3 and use a different audio source, say an ipod, through the speakers, would that work? Thanks.
You don't want audio pass-through. Modern TVs have complete garbage for their speakers.

I'm not sure about passing video through with a different audio source. I'm inclined to say that's not possible, but I'm not sure. For that use case, if the AVR can't handle it, hooking everything up to the TV and backfeeding audio through optical or ARC would be your best bet...
post #137 of 156 Old 06-19-2014, 12:06 AM

Liked: 13
9400 Onkyo

I have had mine for about 1 yr and it works very well....my area is 10' x 18'.

I changed all my side/back speakers with some Bose dbl cubes because of space consideration (Onkyo units are HUGE) and they are hanging on the wall or hidden into the real shelves. I have a 70" Vizio 3D 240hz series M tv and it's all housed in an IKEA wall unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140610_100517409.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	125610  

Isn't it true that the only time you ever really benefitted
from anything is when you said YES instead of NO??[[[
/CENTER]/I]/SIZE]
post #138 of 156 Old 06-22-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
I'll still be able to get audio to pass through to the tv without powering on the receiver, correct?
Hi garface, correct by setting the prefer HDMI Through under Hardware Setup menu.

Quote:
If my wife wanted to play an exercise dvd on the ps3 and use a different audio source, say an ipod, through the speakers, would that work?
Its possible but most likely not with the USB port.
post #139 of 156 Old 06-22-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

An iPod would use analog RCA audio in, so it wouldn't be any different from any other source...
post #140 of 156 Old 06-27-2014, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
An iPod would use analog RCA audio in, so it wouldn't be any different from any other source...
Hi BiggAW, connect iPod using analog RCA (red/white) cables to "TV/CD" jack. Then select your HDMI video input source and on the remote, press "Receiver" button and then "TV/CD".
post #141 of 156 Old 06-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I'm building a new house and adding a small theater room. I'm going with an epson projector and i'm trying find a good sound system. the bonus room will be close to 10x20. I've never invested money or time into good sound systems and i've always regretted it. I'm looking at spending around $1000. I'd assume viewing range will be 8-12 feet. i like to sit close. as it's a new build i don't have exact dimensions yet.

would i want this set or should i try to piece something together for $1000-$1200?
post #142 of 156 Old 06-27-2014, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

For anyone thinking of buying this HTiB, I would hold off and see how much the S9700 with its ATMOS equipped HTiB will run for. I own the S9400 and have been loving it since day one, granted since then I have upgraded all my speakers but its been a real champ.

post #143 of 156 Old 06-27-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi BiggAW, connect iPod using analog RCA (red/white) cables to "TV/CD" jack. Then select your HDMI video input source and on the remote, press "Receiver" button and then "TV/CD".
Interesting. Good to know that you can do that! Not an issue for me, as I don't route video through my AVR, but interesting nonetheless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post
For anyone thinking of buying this HTiB, I would hold off and see how much the S9700 with its ATMOS equipped HTiB will run for. I own the S9400 and have been loving it since day one, granted since then I have upgraded all my speakers but its been a real champ.
Agreed. I'm very dubious that the sound-bounce based Atmos systems like the S9700 will actually work for Atmos (I think Atmos will work well with a true 7.2.4 or 7.4.4 setup with all physical, powered channels), but the 9700 will bring a lot of other improvements in the electronics, so it's going to be a great buy whether or not Atmos with sound-bounce actually works...

EDIT: 7.x.x., not 9.x.x., that doesn't exist yet.

Last edited by BiggAW; 06-27-2014 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Combine posts
post #144 of 156 Old 06-27-2014, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

I take that back, the S9700 is not using the bounce sound, but rather allows you to use the rear surrounds as heights instead. However, then you would lose the surround back channels, which sounds like a terrible idea. However, given the electronics refresh that the new AVR will have, it's definitely worth waiting for...
post #145 of 156 Old 06-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:

PS3>Receiver>TV
Cable box>Receiver>TV

If your receiver in the hardware setup menu has the HDMI pass through option select all and all your HDMI sources will pass through without the receiver powered up. Sometimes Onkyo receivers will have a glitch with this feature and won't pass the audio, if this happens uplug receiver for a few seconds and plug it back in and this usually corrects the problem. Hope this helps.
Cheers Jeff
post #146 of 156 Old 06-28-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The replacement is the HT-S9705THX and is expected around December 2014.
post #147 of 156 Old 06-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8nXTC View Post
The replacement is the HT-S9705THX and is expected around December 2014.
Do you have a link for that, looking for something for my brother, nothing too complicated. TIA
Cheers Jeff
post #148 of 156 Old 06-28-2014, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahblaza View Post
Do you have a link for that, looking for something for my brother, nothing too complicated. TIA
Cheers Jeff
http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass

and their ATMOS page

http://dolbyatmos.onkyousa.com/

post #149 of 156 Old 06-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

post #150 of 156 Old 06-30-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is a great system, I've had mine for 2yrs+ and my receiver went out recently. I replaced it with a 727 model and so far so good. IT IS LOUD! Make sure you get it from an authorized dealer and with extended warranty - if possible.

P.S I might end up returning the 727 model and getting the 737 instead since it it Dolby Atmos upgradeable via firmware.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Ht S9400thx 7 1 Channel Network A V Receiver Speaker Package , Onkyo Tx Nr900 Thx Select 7 1 Channel Digital Surround Receiver , Speaker Systems
Gear in this thread - S9400thx by PriceGrabber.com