Does it matters if I place Subwoofer for YSP 2200 bit further from TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-01-2012, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,
I am almost prepared to shell out cash for YSP 2200 in London (£800). Reviews looks good. I am Bose fan otherwise but for soundbar they are out of reach in cost.. Toooo expensive.

I live in a flat and as london flats have wooden flooring. There is good chance that if system is to loud, the downstairs guy will knock the door. So I will be keeping volume low and prepared for that.

(If you guys think that any other better system can beat ysp 2200 in quality of sound please recommend)

My question is that does it matters how far ysp2200 sub is from the soundbar or TV? Does it need to be right below soundbar? OR is it smart enough to caliberate automatically where ever you put Sub.

It is 14ft X 20ft Living Room with (42 Viera but will upgrade to 50inch LED soon). Do not want to compromise with sound quality.

Please advise if any other better option with no cables.. I have had enough cables in past and cant take any more.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-01-2012, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
It doesn't need to be near the TV or soundbar. You actually want to do the sub crawl to find the best location for a subwoofer.

I installed a YSP2200 for a customer and for what it is and what he wanted it was the perfect solution. That subwoofer isn't very powerful at all, its passive (meaning its powered from the soundbar) and it only has 2 - 6.5" woofers and a port. Knowing this I wanted to reinforce the bass for the customer so I stood the sub vertically and faced the woofers and port into the corner making a 45 degree angle so the sub pointed directly into the center of the corner. I kept the sub about 8" from all walls and this gave the most bass impact in both sound and feel.

Shawn
post #3 of 8 Old 03-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
It don't matters.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank a ton guys for convincing answers.. Any other better soundbar than ysp 2200?

If not then I will place the order for ysp 2200.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 11:12 AM

The above information is incorrect.

The sub on the YSP-2200 needs to be placed as close to the main unit as possible and directed towards the listening area.

The reason being that the sub, in addition to handling the low frequencies, also reproduces the mid range as well. The main unit crosses over fairly high to the sub and those frequencies are directional, so placing the sub in a remote location and/or pointed away from the listener will result in a hollow/thin sound experience and plain simply, that is not how the 2200 was designed to be used.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentatbashar View Post

The above information is incorrect.

The sub on the YSP-2200 needs to be placed as close to the main unit as possible and directed towards the listening area.

The reason being that the sub, in addition to handling the low frequencies, also reproduces the mid range as well. The main unit crosses over fairly high to the sub and those frequencies are directional, so placing the sub in a remote location and/or pointed away from the listener will result in a hollow/thin sound experience and plain simply, that is not how the 2200 was designed to be used.

The customer's place I did that at there was no hollow sound. It sounds good for what it is (granted its not a 1k sound system with 1k worth of subs either). We had no issues with localization or not hearing the mid range sound.

Shawn
post #7 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

The customer's place I did that at there was no hollow sound. It sounds good for what it is (granted its not a 1k sound system with 1k worth of subs either). We had no issues with localization or not hearing the mid range sound.

I was totally wrong and you are absolutely correct.

When I was doing my initial setup months ago, I experimented with sub placement with horrible results as I described.

But, today, after placing the sub similar to your install, I actually heard improvements and was able to lower the LFE level and sub volume.

My apologies for throwing erroneous information out here.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Like I said, it don't matters...
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page