YHT-495BL Help, no picture. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, i'm not sure if this is the right forum - I hope so, i'm very new to this community.

My issue is I bought the YHT-495BL package that comes with the RXV371 receiver, i'm a complete newbie when it comes to home theater and audio systems in general but somehow my issue isn't with audio right now, that's all working fine, it's the picture that's not working.

All the speakers are currently working, I have a HDMI cable from the TV going into the HDMI Out in the receiver, then I have a HDMI cable going from HDMI1 on the receiver to my Cisco Explorer cable box.

My issue is that when it was first hooked up the image worked although I would get a black screen every few minutes, it's gotten to the point now where i'm not getting any image at all. I've tried looking around but I haven't found a solution, i'm hoping perhaps someone here has dealt with this issue.

Hopefully you experts have suggestions for me. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 274
I have the same receiver but am a little confused on your connections. You should have a certified High Speed HDMI cable (not necessarily the overpriced Monster brand) from your cable box connecting into the HDMI1 input of the receiver. The input number shouldn't make a difference but I always like to start with 1. The HDMI output from the receiver should go to the HDMI input of the tv. TV speakers are off so audio is played thru the AVR and the video from the tv. It sounds like an HDMI cable (cable defective, run too long, a crimp in the cable from the AVR to the tv, loose connection, etc) issue or you need to adjust your cable box to output the correct video signal for your tv.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 12:39 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortem View Post

My issue is that when it was first hooked up the image worked although I would get a black screen every few minutes, it's gotten to the point now where i'm not getting any image at all. I've tried looking around but I haven't found a solution, i'm hoping perhaps someone here has dealt with this issue.

Hopefully you experts have suggestions for me. Thanks in advance!

Otto Pylot is the expert here! That Yamaha is a sweet number! And. . . later on you can upgrade the speakers!

As for the intermittent "black screen". . . does sound still continue or does it go out also? I have gotten the same thing connected directly to my TV with some Blu-ray and HD DVD players using HDMI. Usually it means there is a break in digital video signal either due to a connection (cable ends or AVR/ Blu-ray player ports) or there may be an issue with the Blu-ray player itself or AVR. I would try connecting the Blu-ray player directly to the TV for a few movies and with the same movies and see it it occurs. If it happens then it would either be the cable, the TV or Blu-ray HDMI ports, or possibly a heat related issue after the Blu-ray is used for awhile.

One of my Toshiba HD DVD players ( I have two) does the same thing. . . the other is fine with the same cable. It seems some players had build issues. But it never stays black.

Likely you have a bad cable or cable connector. Don't buy one form BB or the other stores. You can get one from Monoprice.com or Amazon for $10 to $20 easily.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

So I feel really dumb now since apparently this is written in some places and I guess I just skimmed through it too quickly but it's fixed my issue non the less.

The HDMI 1 input on the receiver is reserved for DVD only, once I moved my cable box to HDMI 2 it fixed the issue. Thanks so much for your replies!
post #5 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 04:05 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

So I feel really dumb now since apparently this is written in some places and I guess I just skimmed through it too quickly but it's fixed my issue non the less.

The HDMI 1 input on the receiver is reserved for DVD only, once I moved my cable box to HDMI 2 it fixed the issue. Thanks so much for your replies!

Wow. . I guess I;d have t look at the manual to see why HDMI would only be for DVD. . . . lower resolution limits??? Or higher? Maybe Otto knows. I could look up the manual. I would think HDMI is HDMI.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:

The HDMI diagram is a bit small but it does show BD/DVD player as HDMI 1. I never thought it made a difference because HDMI is HDMI but they probably did that for the Scene keys on the remote so you didn't have to select an input. I use a Harmony remote for my system so it didn't make a difference to me cause I just started with HDMI1 and my first connected device was the BD player. Glad you figured it out.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-25-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:

I am new to this as you can tell. I have the same receiver. I am having problems also. So you explained that the HDMI 1 is for DVD and the cable box connects to HDMI 2 and can be HDMI 3 or 4? Then I should connect the HDMI output of the receiver to the tv? For some reason, my tv still is not working but the DVD works. And which button do I push to get tv? Thanks, Ed.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Yamaha Yht 495bl Complete 5 1 Channel Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - 495bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page