New member looking for help with Home cinema problem (Onkyo HTX22HDX) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 03-11-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi people,

Im new to the forum, but stumpled accross it looking for help with a problem im having at home with my home cinema system.

I have a LG 55lw5600 which is less than 6 months old, and apart from the gaming lag ive been happy with the set.

This week i bought the Onkyo HT-X22HDX to improve the sound, and its actually sorted the gaming lag problem also which is great.

My setup is as follows: Boxee box and PS3 input into amp with HDMI cables, and then HDMI cable from output to TV.

The problem that I am having is that the TV keeps "losing signal/connection" with the amp? The picture keeps flickering off and on, but the sound remains...when the connection is lost, if i turn the tv off and then on again (standby button) the connection is temporarily restored. It is almost totally unusable.

I have bought new HDMI cables (so say 1.4 high speed) to replace the official sony ps3 hdmi cables i was using and the problem remains (probably worse if anything).

Ive tried all inputs and outputs and no improvment.

Soooo, can anybody help in regards to sorting the problem, or it least ruling certain things out? Do i have a faulty tv? faulty wires? or a faulty amp/subwoofer?

Thanks in advance

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-11-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
First of all there is no such thing as 1.4 HDMI cables. The version number is for the HDMI hardware. All you need is certified High Speed HDMI cables and you're good to go (up to a certain cable length), and you don't need to spend a lot of money on the cable seither. You said everything worked ok except for a little gaming lag so I'm assuming your problems started when you put the Onkyo between your PS3/Boxee and the LG.

I'd do all the obvious stuff first. Using the new cables, connect your PS3 directly to the LG as before and see if all is well, making sure the connections are snug and the cables are not bent anymore than need be. If that works, you've ruled out the PS3, HDMI cable(s), and the LG. Put the Onkyo in the mix again and see if your problem comes back. If it does, make sure there isn't a setting that you're missing on the Onkyo or LG so that they will play nicely together. Initially it sounds like there's something amiss with the Onkyo and it's HDMI input and/or output. I have an LG and a Yamaha receiver and it was pretty straight forward as far as the connections go.
post #3 of 34 Old 03-11-2012, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yep when connected directly to the tv my sources work absolultely fine? so I suppose I would be right to assume that the Onkyo is indeed where the problem lies?

I cant see a setting on either that I could possibly have to change, but to be honest im a bit of a novice at all this so i could be wrong.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise it looks like a return to amazon for the Onkyo

Anyone with the same TV as mine have any ideas about settings that could sort the problem?

Thanks again
Paul
post #4 of 34 Old 03-11-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Was the Onkyo brand new? There have been quite a few reports about Onkyo reliability so you may want to look into other brands or get a brand new replacement (not a refurb).

On my LG (LD520) all you have to do is select the HDMI input on the tv and make sure the correct HDMI output is selected on the AVR.
post #5 of 34 Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
First off monoprice is the place to go for cables (or blue jeans). Second HDMI switching on the onkyo could be bad? Third, welcome to the forums!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #6 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Was the Onkyo brand new? There have been quite a few reports about Onkyo reliability so you may want to look into other brands or get a brand new replacement (not a refurb).

On my LG (LD520) all you have to do is select the HDMI input on the tv and make sure the correct HDMI output is selected on the AVR.

It should be brand new yes, purchased from Amazon for £250.
post #7 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

First off monoprice is the place to go for cables (or blue jeans). Second HDMI switching on the onkyo could be bad? Third, welcome to the forums!

Thanks, Thanks and Thanks...

Looks like the Onkyo must be the problem then I suppose, so I'll look into returning it to Amazon...I'll report back weather or not the problem persists with a replacement.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

Paul
post #8 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Amazon have sent me a replacement and the problem still persists!!!!

So now im really stumped...Do i try buying new hdmi cables? or is it possible for the onkyo to simply not agree with my tv? or vice versa?

FYI this is the wires that I am currently using, and they replaced my official Sony PS3 ones from a year or so back. http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...01_i00_details

Im so fed up, Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Paul
post #9 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

That is just not right. I'm assuming Amazon sent you a brand new one and not refurbished. Refurbs are usually ok but maybe there's a bad production run of that particular Onkyo line. I'd try some new Monoprice, BlueJeans, or Media Bridge cables. Maybe it's as simple as a bad cable. Your tv shouldn't have anything to do with it because it works when your devices are connected directly to it bypassing the Onkyo, and now that I think about it, you probably used the same cables right? So that rules out the cables as well and points back to the Onkyo.
post #10 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Madness isnt it.....If I use same wires and connect devices direct to TV no problem whatsoever, as soon as i go through the Onkyo the problems start...Just constantly flicking on and off, like its a loose wire or something

When the connection is lost completely ( flicking stops and i just get a "no signal" from tv) If I turn tv off and back on again, the connection is temporarily restored?

So confusing and so annoying. If there is no other bright ideas out there, Maybe I should just return this replacement as faulty also and just try a different product.
post #11 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm, if turning off and on the tv corrects the problem while it's connected to the Onkyo, and you don't see that problem at all with the same cables connected bypassing the Onkyo, it sounds like the Onkyo is the problem. And being as this is your second one, you may just want to consider another Onkyo line or another mfr altogether. FWIW, I have a Yamaha RX-V371 and it has worked perfectly right out of the box. You can also look at Denon's. There just seems to be a lot of issues lately with Onkyo's so I'm not sure what the deal is.
post #12 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yep looks like I'm going to have to give up, and try something else....

I'll have about £250 to spend (Im in UK)......I dont need a blu ray player just a good sound system for my ps3 and boxee box to go into, and something that is going to play nicely with my LG 55lw5600 3D TV....What's the latest/best LG product for this? (looked online but confusing results)

Preferably something that is quite simple to use?
post #13 of 34 Old 03-12-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I looked up the Onkyo system and didn't realize it was a 2.1 system and not 5.1. For a little more money I'd recommend a 5.1 HTiB. Ideally, you're always best off to buy the receiver and speakers separate but if money is tight, a decent HTiB is a viable alternative. I have the Yamaha YHT-395 and have been quite happy with the sound and versatility. I will certainly upgrade the speakers later on this year but the "packaged" speakers sound very good for our environment and use (we're not gamers but movies sound really good). Onkyo makes decent HTiB as well but you're probably not too keen on another Onkyo product. Denon makes a couple of nice HTiBs. Depending on what kind of features you want your receiver to have you'll have to decide upon that and then research the models for your price range. For versatility, I'd list a powered sub-woofer, 4 High Speed HDMI inputs (1.4 hardware spec), the latest video and audio specs, non-proprietary speaker connectors (preferably ones that can accommodate any type of connection), the ability to select either 6ohm or 8ohm for the speakers, audio calibration (Audessey is one), just to name a few. Power output is up to you. If you like your ears to bleed and your fillings to rattle that will cost you more Simple to use is a relative statement but all of them in the HTiB are not difficult. Besides, there are folks here who are willing to help you get up and running should you run into problems.
post #14 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for your replies buddy.

I definatly want to stick to a 2.1 system as my partner wont allow the wires around the room and my room is a difficult shape to incorperate 5.1 anyway.

The Onkyo did everything I needed, is there something similar to this on the market? but yes your right I would like to stay away from Onkyo now.
post #15 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holbrook99 View Post

Thanks again for your replies buddy.

I definatly want to stick to a 2.1 system as my partner wont allow the wires around the room and my room is a difficult shape to incorperate 5.1 anyway.

The Onkyo did everything I needed, is there something similar to this on the market? but yes your right I would like to stay away from Onkyo now.

You don't have to use all 5 speakers. In fact, I used my system as a 3.1 until I figured out how to install the side speakers to pass the WAF You may find that living situations change (locales) and having the ability to add the sub-woofer and side channels later on will be advantageous. Besides, you'll probably get a better receiver if it can handle 5.1 as opposed to just 2.1. If space and wires are a fixed issue, you might want to look at soundbars then.
post #16 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
5.1 is difficult for any partner to accept ...

BUT when they hear the difference that brick wall goes away! You could just stick with 3.1?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #17 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ I was wondering where you were at Once my wife heard 5.1, I think she stopped "seeing" the speakers on the side of the couch and just enjoyed the experience. Seems that space and roomie are the limiting factors so I'd just find a nice 5.1 system and just use what speakers I could, for now.
post #18 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

The 5.1 is a definate No go. I'm open to a 2.1, 3.1 or soundbar system.

I want something that sounds good and can take my two sources via HDMI and handle 3D content, If it can take my ipod then that's a bonus.

I just want something that is going to work out of the box and not cause problems like lip sync issues or gaming lag etc etc.

Any suggestions as I definatly need something.

Thanks again for all your help

Paul
post #19 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't know what to tell you then. With a 5.1 system you will have a very nice 2.1 or 3.1 system already, with more features and expandability than a 2.1 system or a soundbar, and you don't have to install all of the speakers to use it. The AVR will know how many speakers it has or you can just program it. Just put the extra speakers in a closet for future use. I know the Yamaha system has an additional adapter that allows you to plug in, and charge, your iPod. Another option, if you want just better sound, would be a powered 2.1 PC speaker system that you could plug into the headphone jack of your tv. You'll only get stereo or downmixed sound but the output would be a lot better than the tv speakers. I had a Creative 2.1 system for my Apple G3 MDD and it sounded really nice. That would mean that you would have to connect your Boxee and PS3 directly to your LG via HDMI but it should work. Otherwise, you'll have to decide 2.1/3.1/ or soundbar and then Google from there.
post #20 of 34 Old 03-13-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Madness isnt it.....If I use same wires and connect devices direct to TV no problem whatsoever, as soon as i go through the Onkyo the problems start...Just constantly flicking on and off, like its a loose wire or something

Hi holbrook99, some suggestions to check and try.

- update to latest firmware on Onkyo, PS3 and Boxee (if available)
- on the PS3 try turning off "Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI)" found under Display Settings.
- on the Boxee try setting resolution to 1080p/60 or change frame rate
- reset Onkyo back to factory default

- disconnect all HDMI cables, power off all components (tv, receiver, PS3 & Boxee), disconnect power cord from wall outlet on all components and allow it to sit for about a minute. Connect PS3 & Boxee to receiver via HDMI cables and HDMI cable from receiver to tv. Now reconnect power cord to tv, receiver, PS3 and Boxee. Wait about 30 seconds and turn on tv and switch to correct input, then receiver and last PS3 (or Boxee) giving a few seconds in between turn on.
post #21 of 34 Old 03-15-2012, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

That sounds like brilliant advice mate, Ill try that tonight, before returning to Amazon.
post #22 of 34 Old 03-15-2012, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi holbrook99, some suggestions to check and try.

- update to latest firmware on Onkyo, PS3 and Boxee (if available) How do I update firmware on the Onkyo? (PS3 and Boxee are already latest firmware)
- on the PS3 try turning off "Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI)" found under Display Settings. cool, know how to do this, leave all other options alone?
- on the Boxee try setting resolution to 1080p/60 or change frame rate (ok ill try changing resolution to what you suggest, what do I change frame rate to? it was already on 1080p but have different options available for frame rate i think like 50htz and 60htz etc, also what about hdmi output? I have options for RGB HIGH/LOW and YUV or something or other?)
- reset Onkyo back to factory default

- disconnect all HDMI cables, power off all components (tv, receiver, PS3 & Boxee), disconnect power cord from wall outlet on all components and allow it to sit for about a minute. Connect PS3 & Boxee to receiver via HDMI cables and HDMI cable from receiver to tv. Now reconnect power cord to tv, receiver, PS3 and Boxee. Wait about 30 seconds and turn on tv and switch to correct input, then receiver and last PS3 (or Boxee) giving a few seconds in between turn on.

Thanks again, can you give me some help with the above? much appreciated.
post #23 of 34 Old 03-19-2012, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

or anybody?
post #24 of 34 Old 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

If your Onkyo has WiFi/ethernet you should be able to get the update, if one is available, directly from Onkyo. If not, you may have to download it to a USB flash drive and update that way. I'd call Onkyo and ask what your options are or go to their website. I don't have my AVR do any video processing at all (same for my BD player) and just let the original signal pass thru to my tv (which is calibrated) unaltered. The powering off cycle that JChin mentioned is not a bad idea either. Sometimes just powering off/on in a slow, methodical sequence gives your components a chance to recognize each other and correctly handshake before the next device comes on.

Change the Boxee frame rate to 60Hz.
post #25 of 34 Old 03-20-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Did all the business and suggestions, the boxee was already 1080p/60hz. Turnt deep colour off on the ps3.....Did everything slowly turned one thing on at a time etc etc, and it seemed like it was working for a whole day...no problems and then BANG today, the problems are back!!! Im on my second Onkyo, my third lot of HDMI leads and its still not working....I really dont know what to do, its making me want to explode!!!! There isnt any firmware downloads for this product through Onkyo on the website.

Does anyone else have any suggestions whatsoever as to what the problem could be?
post #26 of 34 Old 03-20-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks to me like you're back to square one, which sucks. I'd try another HTiB vendor who offers a comparable system. If not, just go for a 5.1 and use just what you want or look into soundbars.
post #27 of 34 Old 03-20-2012, 12:16 PM

I'm having the same issue. It only happens when the PS3 is connected. Never any issues when I have DirecTV on. I have a 5.1 Onkyo BTW.
post #28 of 34 Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

There are more and more issues being reported with Onkyo so I'm not sure what is going on with them.
post #29 of 34 Old 03-20-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:

Does anyone else have any suggestions whatsoever as to what the problem could be?

Its possible a compatibility issue between LG and Onkyo.

Curious how long is the HDMI cable between receiver and tv?

Another suggestion is if HDMI-CEC feature is enabled, try turning it to "off". LG calls it "SimpLink" and Onkyo is "HDMI Control".
post #30 of 34 Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Another suggestion is if HDMI-CEC feature is enabled, try turning it to "off". LG calls it "SimpLink" and Onkyo is "HDMI Control".

I forgot about that. Good thought.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page