help to replace Bose Lifestyle 25 but keep speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an ageing Bose Lifestyle 25 (20 years old) - CD player given up the ghost etc etc. I've read enough to know they are pretty crappy but it just about does for us. I want to buy an AV receiver for around £400 to £500 but want, if possible, to keep the Bose "jewel" speakers and the bass unit.

Several reasons - cost, not an audiophile, mainly for TV use plus some CDs/mp3. Also everything is wired in at our open-plan Spanish home with concrete walls and marble floors. Don't really want training cables, ducting etc.

It needs to cope with LCD TV, Sky Plus HD, and a basic DVD player (maybe to upgrade to BlueRay in future). I also have an ethernet connection and a PC next to the current setup, so an ethernet option would be good.

I am pretty good at computing but useless with AV. Not really feasible to get advice locally (in the middle of the countryside and my Spanish is not up to technical stuff). If I could get a hint or two from you experts out there I'd research further on the internet and then buy that way as well.

Thanks for any help - really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-04-2012, 01:06 PM

You might just want to look for another bose unit on ebay. Im not sure if those speakers are compatible with a regular receiver.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-04-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I really want to move away from Bose to a decent AV receiver.

The problem is, all the speakers (5 pairs of them) are wired into the concrete/plastered walls in front of the TV and on the back walls.

The whole place is open plan with marble floors. To get new wiring to where the speakers are I would have to cross open archways, etc. I don't want ducting along the walls, or have to dig up marble floors! Hence the desire to keep those rather feeble speakers.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-06-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay1 View Post

Thanks for the reply. I really want to move away from Bose to a decent AV receiver.

The problem is, all the speakers (5 pairs of them) are wired into the concrete/plastered walls in front of the TV and on the back walls.

The whole place is open plan with marble floors. To get new wiring to where the speakers are I would have to cross open archways, etc. I don't want ducting along the walls, or have to dig up marble floors! Hence the desire to keep those rather feeble speakers.

If you want to start over with a new receiver, there may still be an adapter that converts those old proprietary Bose connectors to standard connectors. Check with Bose for that.

If that doesn't work, you have two choices, you can rip out that speaker wire and re-run it, or just run new wire for your new speakers without running it through the wall.

Make sense?

COMING SOONFinding the Ark of the Covenant by Brian Roberts, in the iBook Store on iTunes, a new investigation into the Hebrew’s Most Sacred Relic!
post #5 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 AM

Hello Arjay1,

Did you find a way to connect your old Bose speakers to a new non Bose receiver? I have the same senario you describe, the old Lifestyle 25 control unit has quit but the jewel and subwoofer speakers are still good and I would like to continue using them if at all possible. I would certainly appreciate any help you could offer since my situation is exactly the same as yours.

Thank you.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-28-2012, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry - no. As I said in a previous post, I don't want to re-run new wiring on marble floors or concrete walls and I can't find any way to connect up a new music centre etc to the existing speakers.

If you have any luck please let me know rjossATirmconsultingDOTcom
post #7 of 12 Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Aren't the satellite speakers just connected to the Acoustimass module by ordinary wire? I think it is a very small gauge, like 18, but it is still ordinary wire. If you got a receiver all you would have to do is disconnect the wires from the Acoustimass and connect them to the receiver. If you don't have enough cable length to strip off the RCA end, just buy RCA extension cables and strip off one end to connect to the receiver's binding posts. They STILL might not work because the impedance is probably really low for those satellite speakers. Since Bose NEVER publishes any REAL data on their speakers and Acoustimass module, using them with a receiver that is typically rated at 8 Ohms would be a huge gamble. You can get a GENERAL idea of the impedance by testing the speaker's terminals with a MultiMeter set to Ohms. Again, no telling what Bose is doing in the Acoustimass module, so they might have additional electronics in the module that affects the speakers.

As far as using the Acoustimass bass. That probably isn't going to happen because Bose uses a proprietary multi-pin cable to pass audio to the module. Probably better just to buy a decent subwoofer. I still think a receiver and sub can be had for under 500 Quid.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #8 of 12 Old 12-02-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

jevans64

Many thanks for your helpful reply. I have tested the speakers using an ohm meter. If I have done it correctly (putting the meter across the two parts of the RCA connector), all speakers come out at roughly 8 Ohms (it fluctuated between 7.7 and 8.2 for each speaker).

Does that mean that a fairly basic receiver would have sufficient connection points for all five speakers - and would that give me the usual config of 2 rear and 3 front - left, centre and right?

I am pretty good with computers, even building and repairing my own , but am useless at anything AV. I don't have a brilliant ear either - so only want something more up-to-date than a 15 year old Bose!
post #9 of 12 Old 12-02-2012, 11:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay1 View Post

jevans64
Many thanks for your helpful reply. I have tested the speakers using an ohm meter. If I have done it correctly (putting the meter across the two parts of the RCA connector), all speakers come out at roughly 8 Ohms (it fluctuated between 7.7 and 8.2 for each speaker).
Does that mean that a fairly basic receiver would have sufficient connection points for all five speakers - and would that give me the usual config of 2 rear and 3 front - left, centre and right?
I am pretty good with computers, even building and repairing my own , but am useless at anything AV. I don't have a brilliant ear either - so only want something more up-to-date than a 15 year old Bose!

It would be better to test them right at the speaker, but I realize you can't do that because they are recessed into a brick wall. I still think you are safe with getting a mid-level receiver, like Onkyo 414/515 or Denon 1513/1713. You could probably save a bundle by going with Onkyo or Denon previous year models. Only thing that was really added was 4K and a few streaming option. You might have to hunt down some 2010 models if you need more legacy inputs. The 2012/13 models did away with a lot of analog inputs in favor of HDMI inputs. A receiver is going to be under 300 quid. A sub can cost as much or more depending on how much power you want. A powered sub in the 200 watt range should be enough for your setup.

The good thing about going with a receiver is you get up-to-date surround processing. The LifeStyle 25 was really only a 2-channel system that simulated surround with processing done in the Acoustimass module. Any receiver these days is going to be 5.1 discreet surround. Those Onkyo and Denon models I listed will have 5 pairs of outputs for L/R/C/SL/SR and an LFE output ( usually RCA ) for a subwoofer.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #10 of 12 Old 12-02-2012, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for taking the time and trouble to help out. After Christmas (if there is anything left in the piggy-bank) I am going to have a shop around for components as you suggest.

Regards

RJ
post #11 of 12 Old 09-29-2013, 04:07 PM

How did it all work out?  I'm facing the same dilemma.

Any advice is appreciated.

Nick

post #12 of 12 Old 09-30-2013, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry - I wish I could help you but I never progressed this. The main reason is we have our house on the market and if we move to a new place I will ditch the Bose speakers (currently wired into the walls) and buy a whole new installation with new speakers

I am still struggling on with the Bose - the CD player has died but the rest still works for my Sky+ tv and PC-based media centre

Hope you have some success with help from someone else
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page