Can't get Caption with Netflix steaming movies on new Samsung player? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm deaf and need caption. I can't get caption to work with Netflix's streaming movies on my new Samsung blu-ray HT-D5500 player that has Netflix on it's HUB.

I checked to see if the movie(s) had subtitles before streaming and it still don't work. The caption works fine if I watch it on my PC, but not the new Samsung 3D HDTV.

When I contacted Netflix, they said caption wouldn't work with my unit. Caption works with many others but not mine. Why? Mine is brand new.

How can I get Caption to work with Netflix Streaming Movies with my unit?
Can any of you smart folks help me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Can you get captioning when watching BD/DVD movies or tv? Can you stream another service like Hulu of Vudu and see if captioning works for those?
post #3 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Can you get captioning when watching BD/DVD movies or tv? Can you stream another service like Hulu of Vudu and see if captioning works for those?

No problem getting Caption on BD/DVD movies with my player.
So, why don't it work with streaming?

Hulu is suppose to work, but takes waaaay too long to load and has a very poor selection of caption movies, most being Asian.
post #4 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, if captioning works with BD/DVD (and I assume tv as well), then it does seem to be an incompatibility with your BD player and streaming from Netflix. I'd give Samsung a call (or email) and see what they have to say about it. You also might try Netflix again and maybe you'll get someone who is more knowledgeble. If you get the same story from Netflix again, then ask if they have a list of caption-compatible players. Can't hurt to ask.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Well, if captioning works with BD/DVD (and I assume tv as well), then it does seem to be an incompatibility with your BD player and streaming from Netflix. I'd give Samsung a call (or email) and see what they have to say about it. You also might try Netflix again and maybe you'll get someone who is more knowledgeble. If you get the same story from Netflix again, then ask if they have a list of caption-compatible players. Can't hurt to ask.

I did email netflix and this was their answer, (strange, Samsung is not on the list).

Mr. Moskovita,

The Samsung Blu-Ray player that you have, model HT-D5500, is not one that has the capability to have subtitles and closed captioning with the Netflix service. Not all devices that are Netflix ready have the capability to use the closed caption feature through our service. Below is a list of manufacturers that have Netflix ready Blu-ray players with the subtitle feature on our service at this time (the compatibility also depends on the model number of the device):

· LG

· Magnavox

· Panasonic

· Sharp

· Sony

Hope this information help you out in some way and again, I apologize for any misunderstanding.

Sincerely,

Netflix, Inc.
post #6 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
That's is probably correct the information you got from Netflix. You may need to replace your Blu Ray player.

Its the same thing with Roku. Close Captioning with Netflix didn't work on the older models but does work on Roku 2.

Afro GT
post #7 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

That's is probably correct the information you got from Netflix. You may need to replace your Blu Ray player.

Its the same thing with Roku. Close Captioning with Netflix didn't work on the older models but does work on Roku 2.

I'm not replacing my Blu Ray. It is brand new and one of the best one Samsung makes. Plus, my 30 day window is closed to return the model HT-D5500 Home Theater in the box,
post #8 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

I'm not replacing my Blu Ray. It is brand new and one of the best one Samsung makes. Plus, my 30 day window is closed to return the model HT-D5500 Home Theater in the box,

If that's the case then it looks like you're out of luck as far as captioning goes for Netflix That's also a limitation of some HTiBs that have integrated BD players. It's too bad that information like that is not readily available for the consumer because a lot of people use captioning whether they are hearing impaired or not.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-04-2012, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well, it looks like I won't be doing streaming movies then.
I still get caption on DVD and HDTV movies, so I'm fine.
In fact, I'm dropping comcast tomorrow after 10 years and going with Dish and Clear.
Wish me luck...
post #10 of 14 Old 06-21-2013, 09:04 PM

Stumbled into this, searching for an answer to the same question.
I know this is an old thread, but someone may find this useful:
https://support.netflix.com/en/node/500
I, too, will be shopping for a new player.
jack54 likes this.
post #11 of 14 Old 06-21-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonChaney View Post

Stumbled into this, searching for an answer to the same question.
I know this is an old thread, but someone may find this useful:
https://support.netflix.com/en/node/500
I, too, will be shopping for a new player.
Hey! That was useful... it looks like my current player will work with Streaming Netflix. This is my new player:
BD-E6500 All Netflix Regions 1080p Subtitles, Alternate Audio, 5.1 Surround Sound

I am committed to Dish/Blockbuster for a few more months, then I will keep Dish, but switch to Netflix and ditch blockbuster.

Never too late for good updated info!

Thanks!
post #12 of 14 Old 03-06-2014, 05:51 AM

Liked: 10

I have a Sony Blu-Ray that works pretty well. But can't get the Closed Captions with Netfix, no matter how much I tweek the options. Then I got a list from Netfix at https://help.netflix.com/en/node/443. Yesterday, I bought a new Sony BDP-BX510 Blu-Ray player (3D capable - even that my TV is not 3D - next one will be) and the remote control has a red button for Netflix. CC works perfectly! Netfix has a list for Samsung players, as well: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/500.

post #13 of 14 Old 03-06-2014, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eroman222 View Post

I have a Sony Blu-Ray that works pretty well. But can't get the Closed Captions with Netfix, no matter how much I tweek the options. Then I got a list from Netfix at https://help.netflix.com/en/node/443. Yesterday, I bought a new Sony BDP-BX510 Blu-Ray player (3D capable - even that my TV is not 3D - next one will be) and the remote control has a red button for Netflix. CC works perfectly! Netfix has a list for Samsung players, as well: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/500.
Welcome to AVS. You should ask in the thread for your player located here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #14 of 14 Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

Welcome to AVS. You should ask in the thread for your player located here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450585/official-sony-bdp-s1100-bdp-s3100-and-bdp-s5100

S~
Wow... old thread at 4/4/12
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page