Need some advice with setting up rear speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm totally new to this. Someone's going to be giving me a home theater system for free, and I don't have a practical way to wire the rear speakers with the way my living room is setup.

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice on whether it would be ok to place the speakers all in the front. I know it's not the best way, but will it sound okay, or at least better than not having a sound system at all? Or is there an alternative to setting up without using all the speakers.

I would like to use the blu-ray player that is built in also even if I can't wire the rear speakers. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I could be wrong but putting the side channels in front might be confusing, audio-wise as far as the sound goes. I'd just set up the system as a 3.1 and not even use the side speakers. If your environmental situation changes and you can wire the side speakers, then you're all set. Just make sure you program your system for only R/L front, center, and sub.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2012, 07:28 PM

Liked: 10
What type of system do you have? Most HTIB's have a setting for ''All Fronts'', used for exactly the scenario you want.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-08-2012, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I could be wrong but putting the side channels in front might be confusing, audio-wise as far as the sound goes. I'd just set up the system as a 3.1 and not even use the side speakers. If your environmental situation changes and you can wire the side speakers, then you're all set. Just make sure you program your system for only R/L front, center, and sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesynk View Post

What type of system do you have? Most HTIB's have a setting for ''All Fronts'', used for exactly the scenario you want.

I don't have the exact details on the system yet, but hopefully it can be set up like you both mentioned. I'm completely new to home theater systems so I didn't know if there was a way to set it up without the rear speakers or with all the speakers in the front. That sounds like a good idea if there is a setting with this model. Thanks for your advice.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
FWIW, I don't think you'll get any better sound if you are able to set "All Fronts" as suggested. That would just give you 2 R/L front speakers without any discernible definition in sound. Separating the duplicate speakers by distance may work but I think you'd just be better off running a 3.1 system. However, a lot of this depends on how good the HTiB is in the first place and the options available. It certainly can't hurt though by running all that you have if you're able to.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I'd recommend just running 3.1

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #7 of 7 Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I take it it's standard for systems to have a 3.1 setting to allow someone like me to eliminate the rear speakers?

Sounds like that's the way to do it if so. Thanks for your input.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page