my Speakers / Sound cutting out at times? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-11-2012, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have the Samsung BD-D5500 Home Theater In A box and my Speakers / Sound cutting out at times? What would cause this and how do I fix it?
My HDTV is the Samsung 59D550 Plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-12-2012, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the same problem with my Samsung home theater system. Just recently the sound has been fluctuating. Never goes out completely just soft to loud back and forth all the time. Not sure what causes this or how to fix it, any help would be appreciated.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-12-2012, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Is it when watching TV, or playing a BD? How are you getting your tv service?
post #4 of 17 Old 04-12-2012, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure... I think during TV but I will check for sure. Doesn't happen often, but enough to be a bit irritating.
Was with Comcast, but just switched to DISH two days ago. I haven't notice a cutout lately too.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-12-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 255
With two posters complaining about the same problem with the same Samsung HTiB (an assumption on my part), I'd suspect the Samsung. Is there another way to connect your tv and bypass the HTiB for awhile to check?
post #6 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Any more tips on this?
post #7 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

sounds like you may have answered your own question by switching from Comcast to Dish, but that doesn't answer liam518's question because we don't know his listening conditions.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

sounds like you may have answered your own question by switching from Comcast to Dish, but that doesn't answer liam518's question because we don't know his listening conditions.

Actually, it may have been Comcast as I haven't noticed the cutting out since switching to Dish last week. I'll pay attention now and see. If it was comcast, what would that have to do with the cutting out?

I was thinking it would have to do with the Samsung BD-D5500 Home Theater In A box?
post #9 of 17 Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't have cable or sat, OTA only, but if nothing else has changed in your setup other than your source, it could have been the cable connections (poor installation, wiring, etc) or just plain old Comcrap service/hardware. If all is well with Dish, then it's not your HTiB which is good. However, if the problem comes back, I'd try a direct connection from Dish to your tv and see what happens. That will tell you for sure where the problem is.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-04-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

OK, only happens during dvd movies and not all of them. Only happens when I crank it up past halfway, #25. Here is my setup and that may be the reason, overload?

I wanted to upgrade the speakers on my Samsung BD-D5500 DVD Home theater, which I used the old big kenwoods in place of Samsungs Front speakers, and the DVD player speakers rear setup. Then I replaced the kenwood speakers with Pioneers two floor-standing speakers and used the Samsung front speakers as the rear ones, then added a 12" Kicker Comp subwoofer in a sealed box...amazing result, and everything is powered by the DVD Home theater unit! The sound quality was amazing, I could hear clarity and detail that was not present before. I'm not an audiophile, but I know I don't need to pay more than these speakers cost to get the sound I was looking for.

However, in some movies, it cuts out when I have it above halfway, which IS pretty loud. So am I'm over loading my system? Do I need to get a more powerful receiver now?
post #11 of 17 Old 06-06-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

OK, only happens during dvd movies and not all of them. Only happens when I crank it up past halfway, #25. Here is my setup and that may be the reason, overload?

I wanted to upgrade the speakers on my Samsung BD-D5500 DVD Home theater, which I used the old big kenwoods in place of Samsungs Front speakers, and the DVD player speakers rear setup. Then I replaced the kenwood speakers with Pioneers two floor-standing speakers and used the Samsung front speakers as the rear ones, then added a 12" Kicker Comp subwoofer in a sealed box...amazing result, and everything is powered by the DVD Home theater unit! The sound quality was amazing, I could hear clarity and detail that was not present before. I'm not an audiophile, but I know I don't need to pay more than these speakers cost to get the sound I was looking for.

However, in some movies, it cuts out when I have it above halfway, which IS pretty loud. So am I'm over loading my system? Do I need to get a more powerful receiver now?
Anybody?

BTW, I don't like the new layout at all...
post #12 of 17 Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

post #13 of 17 Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like your DVD player can't output enough power to run the mix of speakers you have. HTiBs that have built-in DVD players (which usually power the sub-woofer, "passive sub-woofer") aren't really designed to handle much more than the speakers that came with it. You may want to consider going with a separate AVR and BD player. That way you know you'll have plenty enough power (depending on what you buy) to handle any speaker combination as well as an active sub-woofer (it has it's own built-in amplifier so as to be independent of the AVR). You can also upgrade your DVD-BD player for future needs without changing your AVR. Check the impedence of your speakers and make sure they are matched with your Samsung's impedence. It's also a good idea to use the same mfg of fronts and center channel speakers so as to have matching timbre. However, the bottom line is that if they sound good to you, that's all that really matters.

Oh, and I wasn't too keen on the new look of AVS either but I am getting used to it. Give it some time. wink.gif
post #14 of 17 Old 06-09-2012, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

It sounds like your DVD player can't output enough power to run the mix of speakers you have. HTiBs that have built-in DVD players (which usually power the sub-woofer, "passive sub-woofer") aren't really designed to handle much more than the speakers that came with it. You may want to consider going with a separate AVR and BD player. That way you know you'll have plenty enough power (depending on what you buy) to handle any speaker combination as well as an active sub-woofer (it has it's own built-in amplifier so as to be independent of the AVR). You can also upgrade your DVD-BD player for future needs without changing your AVR. Check the impedence of your speakers and make sure they are matched with your Samsung's impedence. It's also a good idea to use the same mfg of fronts and center channel speakers so as to have matching timbre. However, the bottom line is that if they sound good to you, that's all that really matters.
Oh, and I wasn't too keen on the new look of AVS either but I am getting used to it. Give it some time. wink.gif
I can run the Samsung DVD player through another more powerful receiver, such as the new Pioneers ones I presume? It would bypass the power amp of the DVD player, right?
Except for the occasional cutting out, it sounds really good. If I keep the volume down below 25, it doesn't cut out.
post #15 of 17 Old 06-09-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

I can run the Samsung DVD player through another more powerful receiver, such as the new Pioneers ones I presume? It would bypass the power amp of the DVD player, right?
Except for the occasional cutting out, it sounds really good. If I keep the volume down below 25, it doesn't cut out.

If I understand your setup, your Samsung HTiB system has an integrated DVD (BD?) player. There is probably a sub-woofer cable that connects the sub-woofer that came with your original speakers. That sub-woofer is probably passive, meaning that it derives its power from the DVD player. An active sub-woofer has it's own amplifier. I've never had an integrated system so I'm not sure what happens if you connect an active sub-woofer to a passive sub-woofer system. I'm thinking that maybe too much power is being diverted to the DVD player and hence the passive sub-woofer, and that is why you don't see to have enough power for your bigger speakers. As far as connecting the DVD/BD portion only of your Samsung HTiB, I'm not sure how you could do that without turning on the Samsung HTiB to run the BD/DVD.
post #16 of 17 Old 06-09-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

If I understand your setup, your Samsung HTiB system has an integrated DVD (BD?) player. There is probably a sub-woofer cable that connects the sub-woofer that came with your original speakers. That sub-woofer is probably passive, meaning that it derives its power from the DVD player. An active sub-woofer has it's own amplifier. I've never had an integrated system so I'm not sure what happens if you connect an active sub-woofer to a passive sub-woofer system. I'm thinking that maybe too much power is being diverted to the DVD player and hence the passive sub-woofer, and that is why you don't see to have enough power for your bigger speakers. As far as connecting the DVD/BD portion only of your Samsung HTiB, I'm not sure how you could do that without turning on the Samsung HTiB to run the BD/DVD.
That makes sense what you said. When I talked to the guy at Best Buy, he said if I ran the BD player which also is the power to the speakers, into the BD input, the Pioneer would become the power source. This is my current system:
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-D5500/ZA
and:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer---5-1/4%22-3-Way-Floor-Speakers-(Pair)---Black/1147998.p?id=1218224796804&skuId=1147998
Subwoofer: if you check the pdf, it has a ton of settings on the back and maybe I have it set wrong.
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/TSW60.pdf

What I was thinking of getting:
http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/pioneer-vsx-821-k/4505-6466_7-34539702.html
post #17 of 17 Old 06-09-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok. The Pioneer speakers are 6ohm so just match that to the setting of the amp and you're ok there. However, they aren't magnetically shielded so they should not be placed too close to your tv, and they aren't Energy Star certified frown.gif The Pioneer AVR looks good but I just don't know about routing the HTiB DVD to the new Pioneer. If it were me, I'd dump the Samsung altogether, buy the Pioneer AVR and pick up a good BD player which you can probably find for under $200 depending on your needs. That way, your new system is much more flexible than what you currently have and can easily be upgraded (speakers, BD player) down the road and keep the Pioneer AVR for a long time. As far as BB goes, it can be hit or miss when it comes to talking to someone who really knows what they are talking about rolleyes.gif
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page