HD500 Speaker wire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-29-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,
So I bought the HD500 speaker set from Klipsch about a year ago, and they're okay. The issue I'm having is with the stupid spring loaded clips for the speaker wire. The clamps are so loose that the speaker wire consistently falls out. For those who have this system, what speaker wires do you use? I tried using some Monster wire originally (I worked at best buy; it was cheap), but the clamps weren't big enough to handle a wire that thick. I'm currently using 16 gauge wire, but it comes out really easy, which is especially frustrating. Anyone have any thoughts on how to curb this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmadbeast View Post

Hello everyone,
So I bought the HD500 speaker set from Klipsch about a year ago, and they're okay. The issue I'm having is with the stupid spring loaded clips for the speaker wire. The clamps are so loose that the speaker wire consistently falls out. For those who have this system, what speaker wires do you use? I tried using some Monster wire originally (I worked at best buy; it was cheap), but the clamps weren't big enough to handle a wire that thick. I'm currently using 16 gauge wire, but it comes out really easy, which is especially frustrating. Anyone have any thoughts on how to curb this problem?

I'd try thicker gauge, hard to say what that Monster stuff was, but if it will not take 14g then try doubling up the bare end of the 16g (or in part, or stuff enough in the clip that it can't move and then don't stretch the speaker wire so that it pulls out. If you're really handy you might be able to change terminals but I wouldn't bother with those speakers.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 4 Old 08-16-2012, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
you could try some 12 AWG, it might be thick enough to stay, and thin enough to fit... also, are they the type of connectors that support banana plugs?
post #4 of 4 Old 08-17-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 413
HD 500 sats cant handle 12ga wire with those spring clips, look at this photo of the back of the speaker.
HD 500 terminal.JPG 21k .JPG file

I'd be surprised if 14ga fits very well.

I'd go with the suggestion above of bending the 16ga wire over which doubles the thickness and then inserting into the spring clip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HD 500 terminal.JPG (21.1 KB, 5 views)

Afro GT
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Speaker Systems , Klipsch , Monster , Cables Interconnects

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page