Sony Bravia DAV-DZ170 and my ps3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night I purchased a Sony Bravia DAV-DZ170 all-in-one home theater system. It came with speakers, a woofer, and a DVD-player/receiver. I'm having a problem getting blu-rays and video games to play in surround sound. I have the receiver hooked up to the tv via an optical line. My ps3 is hooked up to the tv via hdmi. Is there a way to get surround sound out of the blu-rays and video games? I have surround on certain HD channels from my cable-box and I can watch DVDs with surround sound when using the dvd player. But I really want to be able to watch blu-rays and play games, on my ps3, with surround sound as well. Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-20-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Hi mwpoole79, how is the cable box connect?

Connect PS3 to receiver with an optical cable. Set PS3 "Audio Output Settings" as Digital Out (Optical), then select Dolby Digital 5.1Ch and DTS 5.1 Ch.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-20-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the response JChin.....

The cable box is just connected to the TV via HDMI. The PS3 is connected to the TV via HDMI. And the dvd-player/receiver is connected to the TV via an optical line, and HDMI. If I remove the optical line from the receiver to the TV, and I switch it to the PS3-->Receiver... won't I lose the surround sound on the cable-box? Right now none of the 3 parts are connected to each other, I just have all of them connected to the TV, but I get surround sound out of the TV... I want to find a way to have surround sound with all parts... but most importantly with the cable-box and ps3.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-20-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwpoole79 View Post

I have surround on certain HD channels from my cable-box ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwpoole79 View Post

The cable box is just connected to the TV via HDMI.

I just have all of them connected to the TV, but I get surround sound out of the TV... I want to find a way to have surround sound with all parts... but most importantly with the cable-box and ps3.

Most tv will not pass DD/DTS 5.1 surround sound with components connect to HDMI input.

What does the receiver surround format indicator display (PLII or DD or DTS) on certain HD channels?
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Sony Bravia Dav Dz170 Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - Dz170 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page