Onkyo HT-S7409 or HT-S5500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 05-29-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
blakeyj08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys - need help deciding between these two options:

Onkyo HT-S7409

Onkyo HT-S5500

Room is 14x19, 50" Panny Viera plamsa, will be used with DirecTV, XBox 360, BluRay, Roku, Wii and iPod. I don't really care about network connectivity, since I have the Roku hooked up, and 5.1 is all I need (but 7.1 would be a bonus I suppose).

If anyone can come up with a better way to build a system for around the same price, I'm open to doing that too.
blakeyj08 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 Old 05-29-2012, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
blakeyj08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After more research, I'm worried about the TX-NR609 receiver that comes in the HT-S7409 package. I had thought that it was a good, solid receiver that I'd be able to upgrade speakers around, but now I'm seeing a lot of people with video/HDMI board issues with that receiver model.

With my new worries about Onkyo, I'm considering the following Yamaha packages too:

Yamaha YHT-695BL

Yamaha YHT-595BL
blakeyj08 is offline  
post #3 of 28 Old 05-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Member
 
Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased the Ht-s7409 and so far I'm not having any issues with the HDMI.

I've read many of the reviews on Amazon and various websites and the majority love the system. I've read many reviews that address the HDMI issues only to say they are surprised when they DO hear people having problems with it.
Testosterone is offline  
post #4 of 28 Old 05-29-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
blakeyj08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
In reading through reviews on amazon, newegg, cnet and other places seems like it's happened to about 25% of people. In any case, something was bad enough for Onkyo to issue a recall for units manufactured between certain dates.

That said, my dad has the 609 and it's been no trouble at all for him yet (after about 6 months).
blakeyj08 is offline  
post #5 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 10:03 AM
Member
 
Brocken_5110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeyj08 View Post

With my new worries about Onkyo, I'm considering the following Yamaha packages too:

Yamaha YHT-695BL

YHT-695BL for $537!? Front LR speakers w/6.5" mid/bass drivers?? Yes!!! All the other HTIB's you mentioned have speakers with 3" mid/bass drivers that only go down to 120hz or maybe 100hz. The 6.5" drivers should get down to at least 75hz.

I've had the YHT-595BL for 6 months - the RX-V471 receiver has been fine, and the speakers are good for small satellites, but now I wish I had gotten the YHT-695BL for better sound from the front speakers. The speakers are larger 13" x 7.5" x 7.1" 8.8lbs vs. YHT-595BL's fronts 8.3" x 5.4" x 4.5" 2.9lbs - they will take up more room, but should put out better sound.

Highly recommend you go for the YHT-695BL - not many HTIB's provide 6.5" drivers for $537.
Brocken_5110 is offline  
post #6 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Member
 
Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The tx-nr609 supports 4k which seems to set it apart from the others.
Testosterone is offline  
post #7 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testosterone View Post

The tx-nr609 supports 4k which seems to set it apart from the others.

What devices record and display 4k?
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #8 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
blakeyj08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
is 4k related to upscaling? As far as I can tell from my research, I don't really care about upscaling, since all of my devices (except for the Wii) output at least 720p.

I know that any of the 4 options I linked to would probably be fine - I just agonize and research my purchases to death so that I don't have buyer's remorse. Took me a good 4 months to finally decide which new TV to buy
blakeyj08 is offline  
post #9 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 03:08 PM
Member
 
Brocken_5110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeyj08 View Post

is 4k related to upscaling? As far as I can tell from my research, I don't really care about upscaling, since all of my devices (except for the Wii) output at least 720p.

I know that any of the 4 options I linked to would probably be fine - I just agonize and research my purchases to death so that I don't have buyer's remorse. Took me a good 4 months to finally decide which new TV to buy

4K is a new resolution standard, ranging from 4096 x 1714 to 4096 x 3112.

Some of this year's AVR's have added 4K passthrough, but it'll be years before 4K displays, playback devices, and media become mainstream for the consumer market. Plus, the 4K standard may change in the meantime, and your 4K futureproofing goes up in smoke. It's like when HDMI was announced 10 years ago - none of the HDMI futureproofing back then was able to guard against HDMI evolving from 1.0 > 1.1 > 1.2 > 1.3 > 1.4.

Where instead, 6.5" drivers will give you better sonic quality TODAY.
Brocken_5110 is offline  
post #10 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
^^^ agreed. And I love my Yamaha receiver!
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #11 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
blakeyj08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^ agreed. And I love my Yamaha receiver!

just out of curiosity, what makes you love it?
blakeyj08 is offline  
post #12 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 PM
Member
 
Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

What devices record and display 4k?

Sarcasm noted. 4k will most likely be available in the near future, kind of the way technology works. It doesn't seem to be slowing down, only moving faster.

So ya, the Onkyo supports 4k with 4k upscaling, despite no 4k displays being available yet. Still though, as I said, it sets the Onkyo ahead of the game. I'm sure the standards will change, but this only matters if you simply trash it because something slighty better might come along. In the end, something will always come out that 1ups your current equipment. However, at least for me I know that mine will be capable of 4k when it does arrive. Not everyone is going to dump something that is relatively new if it works, just because the standard is set a little higher. Again, at least it will work.
Testosterone is offline  
post #13 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Member
 
Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Forgot to mention. I went with the Ht-s7409 because of the receiver, not the speakers. I plan on upgrading all the speakers over a little time. The cost of the entire HTIB was practically the same price as the receiver on its own. I see the 5.1 package as simply a nice bonus. Just some food for thought.
Testosterone is offline  
post #14 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeyj08 View Post

just out of curiosity, what makes you love it?

It is perfect for what I need it to do. It has all of the latest a/v formats, plenty of power for us, universal speaker connectors, 4 High Speed HDMI in, 1 out, an optional connector for my iTouch, etc, etc. It plays nicely with the ATV2, the Panasonic BD player and the whole system is easily controlled by a single remote (Harmony).
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #15 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
blakeyj08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testosterone View Post

Forgot to mention. I went with the Ht-s7409 because of the receiver, not the speakers. I plan on upgrading all the speakers over a little time. The cost of the entire HTIB was practically the same price as the receiver on its own. I see the 5.1 package as simply a nice bonus. Just some food for thought.

This was my thinking originally too. I've been a little frustrated too that I can't find out what the receiver in the HT-S5500 is comparable to. They give the model # as HT-R590 (as I recall), but I'd bet that it's basically a 509 with maybe a few little tweaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

It is perfect for what I need it to do. It has all of the latest a/v formats, plenty of power for us, universal speaker connectors, 4 High Speed HDMI in, 1 out, an optional connector for my iTouch, etc, etc. It plays nicely with the ATV2, the Panasonic BD player and the whole system is easily controlled by a single remote (Harmony).

Good to know about the Harmony remote. I'll have to look into those as well to keep everything wife-friendly. Any problems with overheating, loss of signal, etc.?
blakeyj08 is offline  
post #16 of 28 Old 05-30-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testosterone View Post

Forgot to mention. I went with the Ht-s7409 because of the receiver, not the speakers. I plan on upgrading all the speakers over a little time. The cost of the entire HTIB was practically the same price as the receiver on its own. I see the 5.1 package as simply a nice bonus. Just some food for thought.

That's why I bought my HTiB as well. For the receiver, not the speakers. I needed something that was current, expandable, fit the budget, and sounded good. I too will be upgrading the speakers as well but they do sound pretty good for what they are so we are enjoying 5.1 and BDs sound fantastic.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #17 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Member
 
Brocken_5110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OP - I'm sure you're tracking prices - the YHT-595BL sometimes goes down to $400 on Amazon.com, and once it was $367.

BTW Otto, have you decided on your speaker upgrade - you were looking at Energy Take 5.0 before?
Brocken_5110 is offline  
post #18 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 01:17 PM
Member
 
Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the receiver that comes with the Yamaha YHT-595BL 7.2 capable? The TX-NR609 is 7.2 capable which was another selling point for me.
Testosterone is offline  
post #19 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
blakeyj08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocken_5110 View Post

OP - I'm sure you're tracking prices - the YHT-595BL sometimes goes down to $400 on Amazon.com, and once it was $367.

Good to know, thanks. Originally I'd planned to mount the fronts on the wall (we're moving to a new house, and the previous owner already has wiring run for 5.1), but the 695's fronts would be too big. Now I'm stuck on whether I want bigger, better speakers that would sit on the table next to the TV or smaller ones that would mount easily and cover the ugly holes the last guy left.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Testosterone View Post

Is the receiver that comes with the Yamaha YHT-595BL 7.2 capable? The TX-NR609 is 7.2 capable which was another selling point for me.

The 595 has the RX-V471, which isn't 7.2 capable. I don't realistically think I'll need 7.2 or 7.1 in the near future though. For some reason now the S7409 on Amazon is only available through marketplace sellers too...
blakeyj08 is offline  
post #20 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 02:34 PM
Member
 
Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's weird, I just bought my system and Frys matched the amazon price. They only match if it is shipped and sold by amazon, which it was a few days ago. The amazon price was only like 20 bucks less than Frys price I believe. I purchased in store, they had them in stock.

I think Amazon just pulled out because there was an early batch that had less than optimal components which is where all the complaints stemed from.

Onkyo did a recall and has a website where you can punch in the seriel # to see if yours was part of that batch. It is unlikely that you can buy one now from a place that actually moves stock rather quickly.

Mine is not part of the bad batch. I think the problem is pretty obvious. When you hit the power button to power off, it will click back on again.
Testosterone is offline  
post #21 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
blakeyj08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Testosterone View Post

That's weird, I just bought my system and Frys matched the amazon price. They only match if it is shipped and sold by amazon, which it was a few days ago. The amazon price was only like 20 bucks less than Frys price I believe. I purchased in store, they had them in stock.

I've got a good amount of amazon gift cards that I'd like to use, and with Prime and no taxes in CA even if Fry's price matched it'd still be more... I suppose if Amazon doesn't get it back in the next few days my decision will have been made for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testosterone View Post

Mine is not part of the bad batch. I think the problem is pretty obvious. When you hit the power button to power off, it will click back on again.

I saw those recall notices - the issue that I was reading about more though was the HDMI board failures, which people seem to think is caused by overheating. Obviously not all of them do though - but everyone who has one that did get on the internet to complain about it
blakeyj08 is offline  
post #22 of 28 Old 05-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Member
 
Testosterone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeyj08 View Post

I've got a good amount of amazon gift cards that I'd like to use, and with Prime and no taxes in CA even if Fry's price matched it'd still be more... I suppose if Amazon doesn't get it back in the next few days my decision will have been made for me!


I saw those recall notices - the issue that I was reading about more though was the HDMI board failures, which people seem to think is caused by overheating. Obviously not all of them do though - but everyone who has one that did get on the internet to complain about it

Ya the hdmi works flawlessly so far. i don't know if its just my imagination, but I watched Dark Knight on blu last night and it looked better than when I had hdmi directly from my blu ray player to tv. I swear it looks better passing through the Onkyo.
Testosterone is offline  
post #23 of 28 Old 06-01-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeyj08 View Post



Good to know about the Harmony remote. I'll have to look into those as well to keep everything wife-friendly. Any problems with overheating, loss of signal, etc.?

The Harmony can be a *itch to program initially but there is lots of help up in the Remote forums. I have an old 880 which I really like because it has hard keys and none of that touch screen stuff (it does have an LCD screen though). No problems with overheating or loss of signal.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #24 of 28 Old 06-01-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocken_5110 View Post


BTW Otto, have you decided on your speaker upgrade - you were looking at Energy Take 5.0 before?

Yeah, I was looking at the Energy's before but now I have my eye on the Polk RM6750s. They're a tad bit bigger than what I currently have and would fit better in our decor than the Energy's (WAF doncha know) as well as fit on the satellite stands that I already have. The price is really good now so I'm just waiting for them to come down a bit more. I figured there about as good as I could get knowing the limitations of our decor and price. We'll see.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #25 of 28 Old 06-01-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
blakeyj08's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocken_5110 View Post

YHT-695BL for $537!? Front LR speakers w/6.5" mid/bass drivers?? Yes!!! All the other HTIB's you mentioned have speakers with 3" mid/bass drivers that only go down to 120hz or maybe 100hz. The 6.5" drivers should get down to at least 75hz.

I've had the YHT-595BL for 6 months - the RX-V471 receiver has been fine, and the speakers are good for small satellites, but now I wish I had gotten the YHT-695BL for better sound from the front speakers. The speakers are larger 13" x 7.5" x 7.1" 8.8lbs vs. YHT-595BL's fronts 8.3" x 5.4" x 4.5" 2.9lbs - they will take up more room, but should put out better sound.

Highly recommend you go for the YHT-695BL - not many HTIB's provide 6.5" drivers for $537.

Brocken, would you recommend the YHT-695 over a RX-V471 + Polk Audio RM6750 speakers?
blakeyj08 is offline  
post #26 of 28 Old 06-02-2012, 03:04 AM
Member
 
Brocken_5110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeyj08 View Post

Brocken, would you recommend the YHT-695 over a RX-V471 + Polk Audio RM6750 speakers?

Yes. 6.5" drivers vs. 3.25" are much better for handling bass, and the YHT-695 subwoofer is 10" vs 8" on the RM6750.

$537 for YHT-695BL

$452 for RX-V471 + RM6750

For just $85 more, you get much better speakers*.

*NOTE: I have not heard either set of speakers, but sheer physics indicates that larger drivers will move more air - 3" drivers can't move much air.

I've already outgrown the 3" front LR & 8" subwoofer drivers of my YHT-595 and am upgrading the entire 5.1 set of speakers. If I had 6.5" front LR & 10" subwoofer drivers, I probably could have held out longer.
Brocken_5110 is offline  
post #27 of 28 Old 06-02-2012, 03:06 AM
Member
 
Brocken_5110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Yeah, I was looking at the Energy's before but now I have my eye on the Polk RM6750s. They're a tad bit bigger than what I currently have and would fit better in our decor than the Energy's (WAF doncha know) as well as fit on the satellite stands that I already have. The price is really good now so I'm just waiting for them to come down a bit more. I figured there about as good as I could get knowing the limitations of our decor and price. We'll see.

Glad you were able to make a decision - have fun!
Brocken_5110 is offline  
post #28 of 28 Old 06-02-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,279
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocken_5110 View Post

Glad you were able to make a decision - have fun!

FWIW, I have the YHT-395 and while the sound was good for our environment, I wanted something a bit better. Like I said, the Polks are better than what I have, and certainly there are better speaker packages out there, but price and size are our limiting factors. Besides, there is always something better, and possibly cheaper, every 8 months or so
Otto Pylot is offline  
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off