How do I set up my Home Theater so that the TV's sound always comes from it? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 06-18-2013, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

Sorry to ruin your post here but im having similar problems with a system of ours. We have a sony tv along with a sony dvd that has 7.1 surround. We receive our cable tv directly into the tv but want to send it to the dvd and out of the sony speakers. The speakers work fine when watching a dvd so theres no problems there. The dvd pics up that the cable is on as it displays it on the device. They both also appear to detect one another etc etc and we have set the tv to send sound to external speakers.

Unfortuntely the sound doesnt come out. We have only connected the two via dvd cable but nothing. I have tried to connect composite but it only pics this up as a video connection not composite.

There are 2 sound outs for the tv, a 3.5mm jack, a digital audio out (optical) but there are no corresponding cables for audio input in the dvd player.

Here are the various ports, photos of both including model numbers are attached in pictures.

On the TV we have

Digital Audio Out (optical)

For compoent in
(Mono) L audio
R Audio
PR
PB
Y
HDMI 1

there is also a pc connector in and sound input for this too most or a component like cable

on the side
we have usb port, hdmi 2 port and a 3.5mm sound out jack

on the dvd you can see the port in the attached picture, there appears to be only two audio in ports. It appears that they are not compatible with one another. I actually thought dvd sould send the signal back as it should be bidirectional.

its driving me nuts so any help would be appreacited.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 06-18-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
It looks the TV has a digital audio output, no analog except for the headphone jack. And the the sound system doesn't have a digital audio input.

So, I would get a cable that has a 3.5mm connector on one end and standard L/R RCA plugs on the other end. They are pretty cheap at monoprice.com. Plug the 3.5mm connector into the TV's headphone output and the L/R plugs into the TV/Cable input on the DVD sound system. That should get sound from the Tv to the DVD player. It will only be stereo. But, at least you'll have sound. You can use a surround mode such as PLIIx to expand stereo to 7.1.
post #33 of 51 Old 07-01-2013, 01:40 PM

I give it a try but it didn't work, I assume its the cable so I'll probably try another at some point. Another option may be is to purchase a converter and convert digital to those two connectors. Thanks for your help all the same.
post #34 of 51 Old 07-01-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

You already had a 3.5 to RCA L/R sitting around?
post #35 of 51 Old 07-01-2013, 02:18 PM

Yes definitely a 3.5 not sure about RCa, they fit so I presume so. It would only auto to external speakers when a DvI cable was plugged in though. Still neither had the desired impact.
post #36 of 51 Old 07-01-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have headphones you can plug into that jack on the TV to make sure it works? Once you get that working, you can work on the output to the sound system.
post #37 of 51 Old 07-01-2013, 02:59 PM

Yes I tried them and they worked
post #38 of 51 Old 07-01-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

The headphone jack doesn't involve the external speakers. You know it works. So, it's either the cable that splits the headphone output to L/R stereo or it's the setup in your sound system.
post #39 of 51 Old 08-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Some of you might have read my question in other threads here on AVS.

I have a Sony 65" 4K TV. I got the X1 4K player. All my sources (cable, Blu and now X1) go directly to the TV with HDMI.

The cable box and the Bluray are also connected to a Sony receiver with optical cable and that is how I get surround material. The X1 (4K player) must be connected to the Sony TV. Even though there is a second HDMI out of the player, it disables the sound to the first HDMI out if selected.

My predicament is I need audio going to my receiver and my TV at the same time.

The optical out from the TV only provides two channel signal and I'm needing an output that contains surround material.

Is there any way to use the ARC from TV to receiver without losing sound to the TV speakers?

post #40 of 51 Old 08-09-2013, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I am a bit confused. You want to feed audio from the player to both the receiver and the display at the same time? Why do you want to hear the same source through the AVR at the same time you are hearing the TV speakers? Also, your diagram shows a receiver configured with two speakers. Where does surround come into play?

As for ARC, it adds no functionality beyond optical. It just saves a cable. So, if the optical output is only stereo, the same will be true of the ARC output.
post #41 of 51 Old 08-09-2013, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
+1 and glad to see I'm not the only one confused. confused.gif
post #42 of 51 Old 08-09-2013, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

The speakers are connected to left/right main out of the receiver. When you select AFD on the receiver, it switches the L/R (2 channel stereo) to L/R minus the center channel. There are no speakers flanking the TV, and personally I think the TV sounds pretty good.

The optical output on other gear works perfectly, delivering clean signal to the receiver which then switches the two connected Paradigm speakers into a pseudo mix-minus surround mode. When I want to watch X1, I set the receiver to TV (optical from TV to receiver) but it gets muffled dialogue along with good sounding music and effects.

The X1 is the only device that is creating this issue of not having a clean feed of audio.

I am not certain the ARC only carries two channel audio. If you've selected TV (HDMI ARC) to watch X1, doesn't the ARC send 5.1 down to the receiver?

Is there any way to get the ARC to carry audio to the receiver and not shut off the TV speakers?
post #43 of 51 Old 08-09-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a vague idea that you are using your receiver to power two front speakers that you have placed in surround positions. At best, that will produce something akin to all channel stereo.

Why not get three cheap speakers, which will be at least as good as the TV speakers, likely better, and configure your receiver for 5.0. You'll get real surround that way and avoid all the problems you are having with what appears to be a Rube Goldberg sort of setup.
post #44 of 51 Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeSoFl View Post

The speakers are connected to left/right main out of the receiver. When you select AFD on the receiver, it switches the L/R (2 channel stereo) to L/R minus the center channel. There are no speakers flanking the TV, and personally I think the TV sounds pretty good.

The optical output on other gear works perfectly, delivering clean signal to the receiver which then switches the two connected Paradigm speakers into a pseudo mix-minus surround mode. When I want to watch X1, I set the receiver to TV (optical from TV to receiver) but it gets muffled dialogue along with good sounding music and effects.

The X1 is the only device that is creating this issue of not having a clean feed of audio.

I am not certain the ARC only carries two channel audio. If you've selected TV (HDMI ARC) to watch X1, doesn't the ARC send 5.1 down to the receiver?

Is there any way to get the ARC to carry audio to the receiver and not shut off the TV speakers?

You haven't mentioned the model of your Sony receiver. Is it 5.1 capable? Does it have HDMI inputs? If it supports 5.1, then do as Bislander suggested and get additional speakers to configure it as such and stop trying to Mickey Mouse it. You must have dropped some serious coin for that TV. It's hard to understand why you wouldn't want a proper surround system to do it justice. If your receiver has HDMI inputs, you should be using them. If it doesn't, you should consider getting a new receiver that supports modern technology. That, along with five speakers (and a sub) would solve your issues particularly with the X1 as the HDMI audio-only connection would go directly to the AVR.

FYI, although ARC wouldn't solve anything for you, both the TV and receiver must support it in order to use it. ARC carries either 5.1 or 2.0, whatever the TV outputs, exactly the same as using optical out from the TV,
post #45 of 51 Old 08-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

I guess the TV only outputs two channel stereo.

Thanks.
post #46 of 51 Old 08-10-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I have to ask - where are your speakers and what do you think is going on with the audio inputs to your receiver? Your previous posts mention things like AFD rerouting L/R mains to the rears, producing an output that is stereo without the material from the center channel, and a pseudo mix-minus surround mode. I have no idea what those mean or how a receiver would produce those kinds of outputs.
post #47 of 51 Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 PM

I have what appears to be a similar issue with my new setup.

I have a one year old Sony 46" Bravia TV. It is connected to a Comcast DVR Cable Box. Keeping things simple is very imprtant so my wife can successfully operate the TV. Therefore we use the Cpmcast Remote for all TV viewing functions.

Now we want to add a sound system but I;m afraid we will have to add a remote and then it may well turn out to be a waste of money as she may never master another.remote. The systems that come most highly recommended are either the Bose"Solo" or the Sony HT-CT260.
soundwiswise
Now the question I need help with is the operation of them. is there a way to be able to install one or the other and have it follow the tTV Volume setting as it is raised or lowered. OIf not, is there another system that migh do so?

Mike
post #48 of 51 Old 09-01-2013, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I suggest you consider a Harmony remote. They are the most family friendly devices around. Press one button and all the devices turn on and change to the inputs for the activity you are doing (watching the cable box, playing a Blu-ray, whatever). The buttons are also set to control the devices needed for the current activity (channels on the cable box, volume on the receiver, and so on).

With a good remote, you can select equipment based on the device quality, rather than settling for inferior devices to avoid remote issues. Bose systems tend to be overpriced for what you get and Sony is not known for quality audio products.

We have a complex system that everyone in the family can run, no problem. I've set up Harmonys for my in-laws and my 86 year old mother whose mental faculties are waning these days.
post #49 of 51 Old 09-02-2013, 07:49 AM

BIslander,

Thanks for your response, my next stop will be the Harmony Remote Site.

Just to be sure that I have made the right choice, this was my selection criterion.

What I am looking for is sound clarity improvement, not "Home Theater" quality. I acknowledge your comment about the Bose Solo but we are very happy with the full house setup we built a few years ago using Bose components, it seemed like the simplest solution. However quick search took me here: I read the first review and since my TV is a Sony, it seemmed a natural match.

Mike
post #50 of 51 Old 09-02-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Clarity usually has more to do with speaker positioning and room acoustics.

If you prefer using an HTIB over buying the pieces separately, take a look at systems from Onkyo, Yamaha, and Denon. They are built around real receivers so that you can keep the AVR if you decide to upgrade your speakers later on.
post #51 of 51 Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Clarity usually has more to do with speaker positioning and room acoustics.

Precisely, at the moment, I am stuck with the two tiny speakers mounted in the TV that probably face rearward.

Due to the configuration of my Cabinetry and installation configuration, I am pretty well locked into a "Soundbar" that fits snugly under the TV, with or without a wireless base unit that can be concealed across the room. Do you have any equipment suggestions that might fit this setup?

Mike
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page