Home theater system to pair with a Panasonic g50 plasma? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Might purchase a Panasonic gt50 plasma 55" tonight or tomorrow, was looking to purchase a surround sound system for it, was looking at Panasonic SC-BTT490 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078GCLUG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER for $373 , can i do better for the same price or is this one good? whatever i buy must come from amazon.com due to amazon store card.

I dont think it has to include a bluray player since i have a ps3 and i think that can play 3D blurays now i read?
digital cable box, ps3, streamer bow are everything i plan to hook to the surround sound, maybe a computer aswell?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
If you want to buy a HTiB, I'd buy one without a built-in BD player. That way, the sub-woofer will be active as opposed to passive. And I'd buy separates, if you can (receiver, speakers, BD player). Connecting a computer can be problematic depending on the graphics card etc.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by skzzzzy View Post

Might purchase a Panasonic gt50 plasma 55" tonight or tomorrow, was looking to purchase a surround sound system for it, was looking at Panasonic SC-BTT490 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078GCLUG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER for $373 , can i do better for the same price or is this one good? whatever i buy must come from amazon.com due to amazon store card.
I dont think it has to include a bluray player since i have a ps3 and i think that can play 3D blurays now i read?
digital cable box, ps3, streamer bow are everything i plan to hook to the surround sound, maybe a computer aswell?

Personally I think you should pop more than 400 for good sounds to go with a tv of that size and pq quality, it deserves it. HTiB receivers can be okay but have limited connectivity (and might not route 3d, look for 1.4 HDMI standard for the AVR). I'd look at starting with a decent AVR and at least a good pair, or perhaps L/C/R speakers and then add quality sub and surrounds as you go but depends on your long term goals...what will you need the sound system for in terms of music or is it dedicated to the tv? How big is your room? Your PS3 may need a firmware upgrade but they do play 3d blurays, didn't get my PS3 just for games; I definitely would not spend on a bluray player in a HTiB setup. Hooking up your computer could be problematic depending on both the computer and the AVR's connection capabilities.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Which Yamaha or Onkyo set for $400 budget would you select then? I see a bunch of different ones.

Not looking to go over $400, ive never even used a surround sound set, only stock speakers on my tv's and have been fine with them so surely a $400 budget will be a nice upgrade over stock speakers and if not then ill just skip surround sound all together.

Will be dedicated to tv, not used for music and i guess my room size a little bit above the size of a extra spare bedroom. not sure on exact size.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

You can get a Yamaha YHT-395 HTiB for under $400 easy. The AVR has plenty enough power for a medium sized room, all of the current A/V formats, High Speed HDMI inputs/output, etc. It's a 5.1 system with an active sub-woofer (8" driver). Not a bad system at all for the price and features and the speakers can easily be upgraded down the road (non-proprietary speaker connectors) should you desire so.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-29-2012, 11:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Panasonic SC-BTT490 only provides 2 HDMI-in and the speakers aren't that great: fronts & surrounds each have only 1 small 2.5" driver, and the subwoofer has a small 6.5" driver.
Quote:

Which Yamaha or Onkyo set for $400 budget would you select then? I see a bunch of different ones.
Not looking to go over $400, ive never even used a surround sound set, only stock speakers on my tv's and have been fine with them so surely a $400 budget will be a nice upgrade over stock speakers and if not then ill just skip surround sound all together.
Will be dedicated to tv, not used for music and i guess my room size a little bit above the size of a extra spare bedroom. not sure on exact size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

You can get a Yamaha YHT-395 HTiB for under $400 easy. The AVR has plenty enough power for a medium sized room, all of the current A/V formats, High Speed HDMI inputs/output, etc. It's a 5.1 system with an active sub-woofer (8" driver). Not a bad system at all for the price and features and the speakers can easily be upgraded down the road (non-proprietary speaker connectors) should you desire so.
$345: Yamaha YHT-395 http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-395BL-Complete-5-1-Channel-Theater/dp/B004SL4ADA - 2-driver fronts & surrounds, 3-driver center, 8" subwoofer driver, basic but versatile receiver with 4 HDMI-in (RX-V371 equivalent) - a very satisfying entry-level system

$399: Yamaha YHT-595 http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-595BL-Complete-5-1-Channel-Theater/dp/B004V8XL9O - same 8" subwoofer as YHT-395, better fronts/center/surrounds with slightly better drivers and MDF wood cabinets instead of plastic, more versatile RX-V471 receiver with YPAO automatic speaker setup using included microphone - IMO well worth the extra $54 over the YHT-395

$499: Yamaha YHT-695 http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-695BL-Complete-5-1-Channel-Theater/dp/B004V8XL9Y - same receiver as YHT-595, center/surrounds essentially the same as YHT-595's, fronts are bookshelf-size 2-driver speakers with 6.5" woofer for better bass, and subwoofer has 10" driver for better overall system bass - although this is $100 over your initial budget, no other HTiB anywhere near $500 has fronts this large

I got a 55" GT30 at the end of last year, and planned on using only the TV speakers. But Amazon's holiday pricing on the YHT-395 was enticing, so I decided to give surround sound a try. I liked it so much that I returned the YHT-395 and upgraded to the YHT-595. HDMI ARC, 3D, CEC control are all great. Blu-ray player and HTPC to receiver via HDMI; old DVR, via component - very good sound and video with the GT30.

The Yamaha receiver was very fully-featured for its' price level and never suffered any of the overheating problems that were reported with recent Onkyo receivers. The system was loud enough for moderate-level listening in my 12x30' living room, and I discovered I really liked listening to music in surround mode. It was a great system for learning the complexities of surround sound, and defining my preferences. I'm actually now in the middle of upgrading to a separates system, but I must admit that the YHT-595 had most of the sound for only 1/7th the price.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocken_5110 View Post

Panasonic SC-BTT490 only provides 2 HDMI-in and the speakers aren't that great: fronts & surrounds each have only 1 small 2.5" driver, and the subwoofer has a small 6.5" driver.
$345: Yamaha YHT-395 http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-395BL-Complete-5-1-Channel-Theater/dp/B004SL4ADA - 2-driver fronts & surrounds, 3-driver center, 8" subwoofer driver, basic but versatile receiver with 4 HDMI-in (RX-V371 equivalent) - a very satisfying entry-level system
$399: Yamaha YHT-595 http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-595BL-Complete-5-1-Channel-Theater/dp/B004V8XL9O - same 8" subwoofer as YHT-395, better fronts/center/surrounds with slightly better drivers and MDF wood cabinets instead of plastic, more versatile RX-V471 receiver with YPAO automatic speaker setup using included microphone - IMO well worth the extra $54 over the YHT-395
$499: Yamaha YHT-695 http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-695BL-Complete-5-1-Channel-Theater/dp/B004V8XL9Y - same receiver as YHT-595, center/surrounds essentially the same as YHT-595's, fronts are bookshelf-size 2-driver speakers with 6.5" woofer for better bass, and subwoofer has 10" driver for better overall system bass - although this is $100 over your initial budget, no other HTiB anywhere near $500 has fronts this large
I got a 55" GT30 at the end of last year, and planned on using only the TV speakers. But Amazon's holiday pricing on the YHT-395 was enticing, so I decided to give surround sound a try. I liked it so much that I returned the YHT-395 and upgraded to the YHT-595. HDMI ARC, 3D, CEC control are all great. Blu-ray player and HTPC to receiver via HDMI; old DVR, via component - very good sound and video with the GT30.
The Yamaha receiver was very fully-featured for its' price level and never suffered any of the overheating problems that were reported with recent Onkyo receivers. The system was loud enough for moderate-level listening in my 12x30' living room, and I discovered I really liked listening to music in surround mode. It was a great system for learning the complexities of surround sound, and defining my preferences. I'm actually now in the middle of upgrading to a separates system, but I must admit that the YHT-595 had most of the sound for only 1/7th the price.

Thanks, i may just wait a extra month on the tv and go ahead and try out the 695.
would this be good for the back speakers?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000289DC6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #8 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocken_5110 View Post

Nice comparison on the Yamaha systems. I have the YHT-395 and have been very satisfied with its performance, even in our rather large, carpeted, family room. I'm looking to upgrade the speakers to the Polk 6750s soon. I need to keep the small bookshelf footprint (WAF). The Polks have better sensitivity and will fit nicely on the speaker stands that I currently have.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-30-2012, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

well i bought the system, i think ill wait to get tv beginning of next year. so that i can pay cash. i just know if i charge it then ill be making payments while its decreasing in value. so ill either try to get a good deal on one on black friday or wait for tax return.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-01-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the Atlantic speaker stands and they work really well. Small footprint which passes the WAF. Very well made for the price. Why did you buy banana plugs? You can easily slip the speaker wire into the speaker posts (speakers and receiver) and securely tighten them. There will be no difference in sound quality. The speaker wire I used is 16AWG, 2-wire ribbed black, which blends in quite well with the speakers and speaker stands. I went back and looked at my receipts and I paid $0.16 per foot cut to the length I needed. I think you're going to be pleasantly pleased with your system. Report back once you get it setup.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-01-2012, 09:21 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks, i may just wait a extra month on the tv and go ahead and try out the 695.
would this be good for the back speakers?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000289DC6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Quote:

well i bought the system, i think ill wait to get tv beginning of next year. so that i can pay cash. i just know if i charge it then ill be making payments while its decreasing in value. so ill either try to get a good deal on one on black friday or wait for tax return.

Congratulations - you may find that adding surround sound elevates your A/V experience as much as upgrading your TV. You can still enjoy surround sound while waiting for a good deal on the GT50. (I remember starting to consider the GT30 around this time last year, but only jumping when Amazon.com offered great holiday pricing at the end of the year.) Surround music has been revelatory for me, and surround sound for gaming is supposed to be pretty amazing.

The Atlantic Satellite 77305018 stands should be fine for the surround speakers, and the Sanus wood stands should easily hold the 9-pound front speakers. (I had gotten the PA DJ stands for adjustability: http://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Satellite-Speaker-MS06BP-1SP/dp/B000VRREPG.) The banana plugs will be nice for connecting to the receiver (screwing down bare wire to the tightly-spaced connectors in the back can be a bit of a pain), but banana plugs probably won't fit the spring clips on the speakers:

You'll be able to securely bolt the surround speakers onto the Atlantic stands, but there's no bolt-down mount on the Sanus wood stands, so you might consider securing with Blu-Tack: http://www.amazon.com/Bostik-Blu-Tack-Reusable-Adhesive/dp/B001FGLX72
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page