optical out, coaxial in? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been searching all day to figure this out. I normal don't worry about sound as much as video and as a poor college student I put money into a nice panel instead of sound. My dad just gave me his 5.1 HTiB that he is replacing and I need to figure out the best way to hook it up.

It is a Sony AVS k800p 5.1. My TV is a Panasonic st30.

The TV only has digital optical audio out.
The receiver only has coaxial in (red, white).
My Blu-Ray player is a PS3 with HDMI and digital optical audio out.

I was reading that component connections only sends stereo and not true 5.1 so I was thinking this sound system can only use Prologic 2 since is only has the red and white input. Then I started reading that there is something called digital coaxial that DOES support true 5.1. I looked up the system and it is DD, DTS, Prologic 2 equipped making me think it is digital coaxial and not normal RCA inputs on the receiver.

My questions,

1. How can I tell the difference between normal coaxial and digital coaxial that can carry true 5.1?
2. If I use a digital audio converter will I get true 5.1?
3. What is the best way to hook this system up?

I was thinking about going from the ps3 with a digital optical wire to a digital audio converter to the coaxial in on the receiver. This is the only way I know to connect them.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by morssolis View Post

1. How can I tell the difference between normal coaxial and digital coaxial that can carry true 5.1?
If the only input jacks are color coded red/white, then what you have are analog line level stereo inputs. Digital audio input is typically color coded orange, and in any case will be labeled as such.
Quote:
2. If I use a digital audio converter will I get true 5.1?
No, if you mean formats that depend on a digital input.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Why would the HTiB say that it had DD which is true 5.1 if it does not have the inputs to accept a 5.1 signal?

I am guessing that maybe the receiver with built a in DVD can play true 5.1 from a DVD?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Yeah, it means the 5.1 comes from the DVD player integrated into the receiver. Some of those DVD integrated HTIB only have token analog inputs (red/white plugs), usually for the old CRT TVs that occasionally had analog outs so people could have surround sound from TV (or for VCRs and older cable boxes, etc.) ProLogic II will work to give surround sound. It's not as good as true DD 5.1, but in your system, you don't have much choice, other than upgrading it.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #5 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Unless your TV also has analog (red/white) audio outputs, you will need a converter, something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B0053VKP8S/ref=pd_cp_e_3

Optical from TV goes to converter, and from there, red/white RCA to the HTIB. Be sure to set your TV to output PCM stereo.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Liked: 11
Bottom line is that DD/DTS 5.1 is only possible if you use the DVD player itself. It won't work for any peripheral devices connected to the DVD player, because there's no way to get 5.1 sound to the DVD player. Those red and white connections are only for stereo.

While it is in fact true that the cables that are used to plug into those RCA sockets are coaxial, there's a difference between devices that can send/receive a digitally encoded signal over such a coaxial cable and those that can't. Red/white almost always indicates that it's strictly analogue and thus in stereo only. The term coaxial is usually pretty meaningless, as almost all line level cables (except toslink and hdmi) are in fact coaxial cables.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page