Can I run the Samsung BD-D5500 Home Theater into a Pioneer VSX-821-K Receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can I run the Samsung BD-D5500 Home Theater into a Pioneer VSX-821-K Receiver?
I'm running bigger speakers, the Pioneer towers etc and want a more powerful receiver.
I was told since the Samsung DVD player had it's own power that isn't possible?
Does this mean I have to get another DVD player?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Afaik it does NOT have its own power, in the sense that it has a built-in power amp that can drive passive speakers.

It's very simple. Just run an hdmi cable from your BluRay player to the receiver.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB06 View Post

Afaik it does NOT have its own power, in the sense that it has a built-in power amp that can drive passive speakers.
It's very simple. Just run an hdmi cable from your BluRay player to the receiver.
Well that was why I was asking. I thought I could do what you said, but the guy at Best Buy said it wouldn't work? Why would he do that?

post #4 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack54 View Post

Well that was why I was asking. I thought I could do what you said, but the guy at Best Buy said it wouldn't work? Why would he do that?
Well, just be sure, because you keep talking about a DVD player (the BD-5500 is more a Bluray player, which also happens to play DVD), we're talking about this device right?

bd-d5500-3.jpg

How have you connected the player at this moment? And your speakers?
post #5 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, just be sure, because you keep talking about a DVD player (the BD-5500 is more a Bluray player, which also happens to play DVD), we're talking about this device right?
bd-d5500-3.jpg
How have you connected the player at this moment? And your speakers?
When I get downstairs, I'll look.
The setup I have, the DVD player also runs the surround sound speakers it came with, two fronts, two rears, a center and subwoofer.
This is what I have:
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-D5500/ZA

post #6 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM

Hmm, good I asked. You have the HT-D5500, not the BD-D5500 smile.gif. They're quite different.

Your player DOES have a built-in power amp, albeit a weak one (they all are when they fit in a little box like a BR/DVD/SACD player). But it's still very likely that it'll work. Just don't connect any speakers to the player and use the hdmi connection to the receiver.

But just to be sure you should check the menu's of the player to see if you can select hdmi as output port. See if you can get sound played though your TV speakers rather than the speaker connected to the player. And then check your TV if it's indeed receiving Dolby Digital or DTS when playing a disc (or at least surround).
post #7 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hmm, good I asked. You have the HT-D5500, not the BD-D5500 smile.gif. They're quite different.
Your player DOES have a built-in power amp, albeit a weak one (they all are when they fit in a little box like a BR/DVD/SACD player). But it's still very likely that it'll work. Just don't connect any speakers to the player and use the hdmi connection to the receiver.
But just to be sure you should check the menu's of the player to see if you can select hdmi as output port. See if you can get sound played though your TV speakers rather than the speaker connected to the player. And then check your TV if it's indeed receiving Dolby Digital or DTS when playing a disc (or at least surround).
Here is the manual:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201202/20120202152807775/HT-D5500_XAA_web_1226.pdf
It has the HDMI out like the one in the pic you showed me...

post #8 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Feeling lazy?

Yes it will work. See p37
post #9 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Feeling lazy?
Yes it will work. See p37
yes as I worked 12 hours last night, just got up. LOL
Reason I'm asking this question as Best Buy has a open box Denon - 600W 5.1-Ch. 3D Pass Through A/V Home Theater Receiver for $165 right now and I didn't want to waste my $$$

post #10 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

I didn't understand most of the techie stuff on page 36-38.
What part says I can run it through the Receiver? In layman terms...

BTW, thanks for all your help... it IS appreciated.
I''m gonna go down and buy that Denon Receiver.
At the worst, I can return it.

post #11 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 PM

Don't worry it'll work. I know because the table on p37 depicts which output signal you get when connected to an A/V receiver. The very fact that you can get audio though HDMI suffices and the table also confirms that bitstreaming is supported. Set the following settings once you have the receiver:

- "HDMI audio" to "On"
- "Digital Output" to "Bitstream (Unprocessed)"
post #12 of 24 Old 07-07-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Don't worry it'll work. I know because the table on p37 depicts which output signal you get when connected to an A/V receiver. The very fact that you can get audio though HDMI suffices and the table also confirms that bitstreaming is supported. Set the following settings once you have the receiver:
- "HDMI audio" to "On"
- "Digital Output" to "Bitstream (Unprocessed)"
Those Best Buy salesmen don't know nothing. Two of them said it wouldn't work... I bought it anyway. Just got home with it.

post #13 of 24 Old 07-08-2012, 03:15 AM

Nice! Let me know how it works out smile.gif
post #14 of 24 Old 07-08-2012, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nice! Let me know how it works out smile.gif
Was out of town this weekend. Will try it tomorrow and post.

post #15 of 24 Old 07-09-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Getting Dish TV sound just fine, but no DVD sound. Good picture.
DVD gets sound if I use the speaker hookup through it, but when I disconnect the speakers from the dvd player and use the main ones that work for Dish, no sound.
So, it sounds like the Best Buy guy was right, said I wouldn't get any sound.

post #16 of 24 Old 07-09-2012, 06:25 PM

Strange, because according to the manual it has to work. There are even rows in that table for "Audio Stream on Blu-ray Disc" and "Audio Stream on DVD", both indicating that hdmi audio is no problem. And there are column headers that say "HDMI supported AV receiver". Doesn't make any sense. Are you sure you have set hdmi audio to on? Also try updating the firmware. It might help.
post #17 of 24 Old 07-09-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Strange, because according to the manual it has to work. There are even rows in that table for "Audio Stream on Blu-ray Disc" and "Audio Stream on DVD", both indicating that hdmi audio is no problem. And there are column headers that say "HDMI supported AV receiver". Doesn't make any sense. Are you sure you have set hdmi audio to on? Also try updating the firmware. It might help.
well, I get a great picture for now, no sound. It's set to hdmi. I remember I had to run the optical cord to get sound before, maybe I do here too? I tried BD to Receiver where it was BD to sat dish. Neither works.

post #18 of 24 Old 07-10-2012, 08:59 AM

Can you connect another hdmi device to that port to rule out any problems with the source device?
post #19 of 24 Old 07-10-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can you connect another hdmi device to that port to rule out any problems with the source device?
Right now I don't have another HDMI device. It does appear that the 3D DVD player is going to use it's own power. Wish I could work around this. Right now I have the player using the speakers that came with it. For the TV dish stations, I am using the Tower & subwoofer speakers.

post #20 of 24 Old 07-10-2012, 11:49 AM

You can try running an optical S/PDIF. And mail Samsung that their device is buggy and borderline broken.

You could also try to sell your BR player and buy a new, simple one without amp. People might be interested in those, since if they break you cannot easily buy a new one (without buying at least two speakers). Without it, their passive speakers are rendered useless.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-10-2012, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You can try running an optical S/PDIF. And mail Samsung that their device is buggy and borderline broken.
You could also try to sell your BR player and buy a new, simple one without amp. People might be interested in those, since if they break you cannot easily buy a new one (without buying at least two speakers). Without it, their passive speakers are rendered useless.
Yeah, I was thinking of selling the Samsung setup and use that money to buy another Samsung 3D player and two rear speakers. I paid $450 for that setup, be lucky to get $200 used I think.
BTW, what is "passive" speakers opposed to like say my Tower ones?

I see your from the Netherlands. Pretty country over there. Lot's of mountains.
We have a few where I live in NW USA.
http://www.moskovita-photography.com/

post #22 of 24 Old 07-10-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Passive speakers (a sub-woofer for example) derive their power from the BD/DVD player by using the amplifier in the player. It works but is not the ideal situation because speaker connections may not be universal (hard-wired as opposed to posts) and the sound is usually less than optimum. Sounds like it would be best to get a separate receiver (you can go with a HTiB if money is tight) and BD player.
post #23 of 24 Old 07-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Basically the difference of active vs passive is whether or not the device is powered, i.e. plugged into a wall outlet. Another indication is often that they have volume knob. You can either have the amplifier in the speakers/subwoofer (active), or have it somewhere else, like in a receiver or BR/DVD player (passive, like you have). Of course a BR/DVD player without an amp to drive passive speakers also needs to be plugged into an outlet, but that's not to drive the speakers. The point is, the signal has to be amplified somewhere and where that happens defines whether a speaker or sub is called active or passive.

Most pc speakers are active. They need to be plugged into a power outlet. Actually, most of the time one of them is active and amplifies the signal for itself and its counterpart. Most HiFi speakers except subs are passive and driven by a receiver, which is also doing the amplifying. Like your Samsung speakers, passive speakers only need the wire coming from the amp and do not need to be plugged into a wall.

Passive speakers

RGT-3025.jpg

Active speakers

s-dj08-rear-pioneer.png

A receiver can also drive active speakers (at least on some channels) though pre-outs.

In a surround setup passive speakers are often preferred, because otherwise you'd need 3 or 4 amplifiers built into the speakers.

By the way, are you being sarcatic? The Netherlands is the flattest country on earth.
post #24 of 24 Old 07-10-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The Netherlands is the flattest country on earth.
Whoops! Sorry, I've never been there and always thought it had nice mountains? I guess I was thinking of another country. Sorry.

Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 821 K 5 1 Home Theater Receiver Glossy Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page