Amazon VOD not streaming in 5.1 Dolby on LHB976 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm trying to stream a HD movie on a LG LHB976 Blue-ray Home Theatre combo unit using the Amazon app that's on it. The picture streams as HD, but I'm getting audio in stereo instead of 5.1. The unit is connected via Cat 5e directly to my router. A speed test on my connection shows I'm running at 22 Mbps. I get 5.1 on other inputs into the box. I have the latest firmware for the box. I can't find any option under settings to change the audio.

I contacted Amazon and they verified that the movie I purchased should have 5.1 audio. They also stated my connection was fast enough to support HD and 5.1 streaming. They did not have anything that shows any kind of limitations for that particular box.

I contacted LG and they were pretty much useless. They suggested changing the "Sound Effects" to "NATURAL PLUS", but all that does is have the same audio that's coming out of the front speakers, come out the rear speakers.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem? Has anyone else seen this problem? Could it be a limitation of the LAN port on the unit? Could the box be defective?

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Is there anyway you can stream it wirelessly to see if it's the CAT5e cable? The LG may not be able to transmit ACS-3 from an external source and "downmixes" it to a compatible format sort of like trying to send 5.1 from an external source via optical to an avr.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, streaming over wireless did not fix the problem. I'm starting to think Amazon lied to me and the app for this LG device does not support 5.1.

I really wish I could find someone who is having the same problem, even if they're using Netflix instead of Amazon, so that I know it's the unit and not Amazon.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Is Amazon the only streaming app that the LG has? I'm surprised it doesn't have Netflix or Vudu.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

It does have both Netflix and Vudu, but I'm not a member of either of those services.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-15-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh. It might be money well spent to sign-up for a month and check it out. It's better than driving yourself crazy wondering if it's the LG, Amazon, or both.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarker View Post

It does have both Netflix and Vudu, but I'm not a member of either of those services.

You get a free rental just for signing up for VUDU. There is no monthly fee, just a pay-as-you-watch system.

But keep in mind some devices do 5.1 for some apps, but not others. My blu-ray player does 5.1 from VUDU, but not Netflix, while some Panasonic players do 5.1 for Netflix.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #8 of 9 Old 08-11-2012, 01:21 PM

I have the same issue on my LG 55LW5600. VuDu actually offers some free short movies, movie previews, etc. that are sent in 5.1 and worked as 5.1 on this same TV even while Amazon VOD did not.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-12-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

stevelion, thanks for the reply. It's nice to see that someone else has experienced the same problem.
Reply Home Theater In A Box