Need Home Theater Recommendation For My Friend - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-01-2012, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My friend is looking for a home theater system and his budget is rather small. His budget is around $600 bucks and he had his eye on this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Denon+-+5.1-Ch.+Home+Theater+System/4892114.p?id=1218572402439&skuId=4892114

To me it looks pretty good for $600 dollars but then again, I don't know much of whats out there for $600. Is this a decent home theater system for the money or is there something "better" for my friend? It's going into a small bedroom. I don't know the exact dimensions, but it's definitely small. If I had to guess, it seems like its maybe 8/9' by 11'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-01-2012, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
This might be overkill for a small bedroom but if I wanted an HTiB and was going to spend $600 this is what I would buy. I have experience with these systems and for $600 its an amazing system... Onkyo HT-S9400THX

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS9400/Onkyo-HT-S9400-THX-7.1-Ch-Network-Home-Theater-Receiver/Speaker/1.html

Its a refurb unit but I own a refurb Onkyo Receiver and never had any issues and also a few family members have the older versions of this system bought refurb and still running strong.

Shawn
post #3 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the recommendation! I showed my friend and he likes what he sees lol. He wants to go audition some stuff and then he'll make his decision. At least he's not into Bose. I taught him well lol
post #4 of 5 Old 08-03-2012, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post

Thanks for the recommendation! I showed my friend and he likes what he sees lol. He wants to go audition some stuff and then he'll make his decision. At least he's not into Bose. I taught him well lol

Sounds good. Auditioning is the best way to see what you like. Just remember it will sound different in home than in store.

Yeah bose isn't very good for HT at all. I don't like bose home speakers one bit. But I do have to admit that my GMC Yukon XL with a 9 speaker bose system sounds a million times better than my Saturn Ion with regular speakers.

Shawn
post #5 of 5 Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Me and my friend listened to this at a local PCRichard.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Onkyo+-+7.1-Channel+Home+Theater+Speaker+System+with+Powered+Subwoofer/4964484.p?id=1218587139812&skuId=4964484

To be honest, I was very impressed with it. I've hear Onkyo HTIB systems before and was never too fond of them, mostly because of the speakers/subwoofer. To my ears, they made great improvements. The sub sounded great for what it is, barely any port noise from what I can tell, and the extended lower then I thought. At PCRichard, my friend got a deal on this for $400 bucks. He's gonna pick it up friday. I think for the money, it's a pretty nice home theater system. Sounds very impressive to my ears, especially for $400 bucks
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page