Sound Output Trouble with Sony HT-SS370 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-12-2012, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This issue has been perplexing me for a few days now. I can't seem to figure out what could be causing it, but it's getting to be quite annoying.

I got a new TV last week (Panasonic TC-L42ET5). Immediately after connecting it, I started having issues with my receiver, unlike anything I've experienced with it before. My previous TV was a Sony, so I know it's likely to play a bit nicer with that, but I'd also had it connected to a cheap Samsung in the past with no issues.

The receiver seems to only want to output 2 channel LPCM. I first noticed it on my cable box. Where I'd usually be getting a Dolby Digital indicator, I was only getting PCM. I wasn't getting any 5.1 audio from any channel without switching the sound field away from A.F.D. Standard, where I always have it. I thought perhaps the TV wasn't agreeing, but I don't understand how/why? My cable box runs through the receiver, the receiver runs to the TV.

I went into the cable box service menu (it's a Time Warner Motorola DCX3400 Dual Tuner HD-DVR if that is of any use to anyone) to see if any settings have changed. They hadn't. I've never played with audio here before, but I figured I'd switch the audio output from "auto" to "passthrough". This seems to solve the issue on the cable box. I've been getting Dolby Digital and 5.1 where applicable. The problem is, I can't seem to save this setting on the cable box (even though I never shut it off). Once I shut the TV off, it reverts back, and I have to change it again.

I should also note that when the cable box runs LPCM, I get a noticeable audio delay that the box's "auto" lip-sync feature can't correct. Switching to passthrough and getting Dolby Digital back seems to correct the issue.

I thought this was an isolated issue to the cable box. When I turned on my X-Box 360 tonight, I found otherwise. It too is only receiving 2 channel LPCM instead of Dolby Digital. The system menu output is set to Dolby Digital 5.1, but I'm getting nothing or the sort.

The only device I've yet to check is the PS3, but that is always set to output LPCM. Last I checked, it was outputting 5.1 just fine.

I've also been having issues getting ARC to function properly. I shut Viera Link off (I thought it was causing an audio delay) initially, but turned it on to test the ARC feature on Viera Connect. I can only get Viera Connect to play out of the TV's internal speakers. I'm not currently running an optical cord from the TV to the receiver, because I thought the ARC channel served the same purpose. Am I doing something wrong here?

What could be going on here? I've got so many variables that I'm racking my brain. The only new things introduced into the mix were the TV, and a new high speed HDMI cable from Amazon from the receiver out to the TV in. Nothing else has changed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 129

It is not uncommon for a TV to force a stereo PCM output because TVs are two channel devices. Look for a setting in your receiver that disables the HDMI audio output to the TV (something like AMP or AMP+TV). That will prevent the TV from doing an audio handshake with the devices.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Tags
Sony , Speaker Systems , Panasonic Viera Tc L42et5 42 Inch 1080p 3d Full Hd Ips Led Lcd Tv With 4 Pairs Of Polarized 3d Glass , Displays , Motorola , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page