Seeking Guidance - Home Theater in a Box vs. Piecing Together Home Theater System - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-24-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks - I am a first timer so please take it easy on me.
I am moving into a new apartment in less than a week and I want to pull together a nice enough HT system. I plan on using the system for gaming, movies, casual TV, and music during parties. It is a Hoboken apartment which means the living room is pretty much it so size is an additional consideration. I am cost conscious and I have the unique opportunity of using 'performance points' from my company to purchase some of the hardware. I am starting from scratch and I need the following:
  • TV
  • Receiver
  • 5.1 surround sound speaker/subwoofer setup
Now here is where it gets complicated. I have enough 'points' to either get one of two combinations below:
  1. Bose Acoustimass 10 speaker system
  2. TV and a yamaha 7.1 Channel Network AV Receiver RX-V673BL

After choosing one of those two combinations above I have an additional budget of around $800 to fill in the gaps. I know this forum, among many others, does not speak highly of the Bose brand. The only reason I am considering it is because I have minimal knowledge on audio brands and it would save me the headache of trying to piece together a 5.1 HT setup. I am looking to the community for help choosing one of my two 'points purchase' options above as well as providing guidance on how to fill in the missing pieces. Ideally, I would love for someone to lay out 5.1 speaker system set ups so that I could avoid going with Bose only for the convenience. Any advice on the receiver is appreciated as well but its my understanding that yamaha is a pretty sturdy brand. I am covered on TV knowledge. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright folks, I decided to go with option 2. I got a great deal on a pair of Klipsch RB-41 II ($215). I am now looking at center speaker options and need guidance. Is it best to stay within the Reference series since I already have the bookshelf speakers to go with? I see a RC-52 on sale for $200 at the below location, but I dont know what the difference is between the RC-52 and the RC-52 II which is a couple hundred more.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/klipsch-centre-channel-speaker-rc52/10105969.aspx?path=7a49ceaeed25c102d21d813aa1e45b4aen02

I also see newegg is having a sale on the Klipsch WC-24 Icon-W Series Center Channel Speaker for $200 which seems to be great savings on the retail price (~$499)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780086

Should I be concerned about mixing lines? Please provide recommendations on which center speaker to go with.
My next step is to look for a sub to go with the center and two bookshelfs. Any advice on a good subwoofer for around $100? Also, to round out the system I was thinking about going for another set of bookshelf speakers since space is a constraint. Should I just double up on the RB-41 II's? or should I go for a more power/less power play to enhance the front and back speaker experience in the 5.1?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

Tags
Displays , Receivers Amplifiers , Bose , Bose Acoustimass 10 Series Iv Home Entertainment Speaker System Black , Yamaha , Pioneer Elite Vsx 53 Av Network Receiver 7 1 Channel 3d