Build around a Denon AVR-1700 or Modernize with Onkyo HT-S5500 HTIB? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a Denon AVR-1700 I use to power two Technics SB-CR77 speakers for my laptop. Ya, it's old, but I was debating on whether to use what I've got to build a 5.1 system for my new DLP or to modernize and get an Onkyo HT-S5500.

I realize the Onkyo would allow me to run HDMI from high tech stuff directly to the receiver and then back to the TV, but if I ran video/sound separately I could utilize the Denon. I like the idea of getting a modern HTIB setup, but if I got better speakers with the Denon would that make it worth while?

Link below is the Denon manual for specs. Denon is Dolby digital but not DTS, is that a deal breaker?

Budget for speakers or HTIB is $400. Home theater is used for Satellite TV, football, DVD movies, and occasional PS3 gaming. Room is 16'x19' in size.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/38351/Denon-Avr-1700.html#manual

-Dustin-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-14-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 491
If you're going to be watching Blu-ray movies on your new DLP (a rear-projection TV?) then DTS decoding is important. Most movies on Blu-ray discs use DTS for the main feature, even though DD is used for the supplements. The proportion using Dolby for the main feature is very small. Without a DTS decoder, you'd be limited to stereo audio.

That said, the quality of the speakers makes the biggest difference in the quality of the sound you hear. Onkyo's HTIB systems usually include one of their standard receivers plus a set of inexpensive speakers. You might want to consider (for now) getting the same receiver plus just a pair of higher quality speakers, using your current speakers for the surround-sound channels. Upgrade them later when you can afford it.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #3 of 11 Old 09-16-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds like I should step up to new gear and keep my old stuff for the garage....

-Dustin-
post #4 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 PM

Liked: 12
I agree with that course of action. AVRs become obsolete due to lack of new inputs, or decoders. As you said your Denon is only capable of Dolby Digital and not DTS. DTS HD is the new format that Blu rays are encoded with. You don't have a Blu ray player now but you probably will in time with that big TV. With a new AVR you are covered with all the different formats that you might encounter.

Plus with new AVRs you get room correction which can make a huge difference.

Save some money and get it here http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS5500/Onkyo-HT-S5500-7.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Package-w/USB-for-iPod/iPhone/1.html#!more

post #5 of 11 Old 09-17-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Nice price/link, lowest I found was $399, although it is refurbished and shipping is $43... $50 more for brand new.

-Dustin-
post #6 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 01:44 AM - Thread Starter

Doing as much reading on here as I can and now I'm considering the Yamaha YHT-695 compared to the Onkyo HT-S5500. The Onkyo's seem to have quality control issues lately. But I'm not sure how they compared since I can't break down the specs short of speaker size and frequency range.

However the more I read here, the more I'm tempted to go with the Jamo S426HCS3 speakers and add a subwoofer at a later time. If I did go with the Jamo 5.0 package, which receive would you guys recommend? Could I power them with the Denon AVR-1700 for now? Maybe get a 7.1 later to keep upgrading open in the future. I've got an open wall that goes into the kitchen and I want to fill the downstairs area with sound. Maybe I'll MSpaint my layout tomorrow.

I'd like to keep the "HTIB" price at or below $500 if possible.

-Dustin-
post #7 of 11 Old 09-20-2012, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Doing as much reading on here as I can and now I'm considering the Yamaha YHT-695 compared to the Onkyo HT-S5500. The Onkyo's seem to have quality control issues lately. But I'm not sure how they compared since I can't break down the specs short of speaker size and frequency range.

However the more I read here, the more I'm tempted to go with the Jamo S426HCS3 speakers and add a subwoofer at a later time. If I did go with the Jamo 5.0 package, which receive would you guys recommend? Could I power them with the Denon AVR-1700 for now? Maybe get a 7.1 later to keep upgrading open in the future. I've got an open wall that goes into the kitchen and I want to fill the downstairs area with sound. Maybe I'll MSpaint my layout tomorrow.

I'd like to keep the "HTIB" price at or below $500 if possible.

-Dustin-
post #8 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 05:38 AM

Liked: 12
Denon would certainly power the jamo speakers and you could probably getaway without a sub for a while. However you would still be missing the room correction,hdmi and newer decoders. Check back to A4less a popular budget receiver is the denon 1612, it has all those features for 189 refurb. Whether you are ok with a refurb is up to you... Igot mine at amazon during a sale new for 200 so there are deals around

post #9 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nick_si.

I'm looking at a few high end, but used Yamaha receivers. I've looked at some newer budget receivers but lack inputs and other features. Yamaha seems to be the most reliable option compared to Denon and Onkyo. I also like how many inputs these older models have for random things like my old nintendo and stuff. The power, sound decoders, and features are there without a big hit in the wallet. The only downfall to these older Yamaha is HMDI 1.2/1.2 vs newer HMDI connections and 3D filters. But we don't like 3D stuff here and I'll be watching mostly upconvert DVD's with an occasional bluray on a Playstation 3. I just don't think I'll need 1.3 or 1.4, but if I'm wrong please tell me. This is all going through a new 73" Mitsubishi DLP

-Dustin-
post #10 of 11 Old 09-21-2012, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nick_si.

I'm looking at a few high end, but used Yamaha receivers. I've looked at some newer budget receivers but lack inputs and other features. Yamaha seems to be the most reliable option compared to Denon and Onkyo. I also like how many inputs these older models have for random things like my old nintendo and stuff. The power, sound decoders, and features are there without a big hit in the wallet. The only downfall to these older Yamaha is HMDI 1.2/1.2 vs newer HMDI connections and 3D filters. But we don't like 3D stuff here and I'll be watching mostly upconvert DVD's with an occasional bluray on a Playstation 3. I just don't think I'll need 1.3 or 1.4, but if I'm wrong please tell me. This is all going through a new 73" Mitsubishi DLP

-Dustin-
post #11 of 11 Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

I bit the bullet today on my Home theater system to match my 73" Mitsubishi DLP. I'll admit I was set on not spending more than $250, $300, then $400, then $450, then I said screw it lets get something nice that will last me a while and sound great. I wish I started doing research sooner and had more time to learn, but it might have taken me months to go from total newb to expert. I have learned alot from this site in a short time, and I appreciate the help I got and the old threads with lots of information.

Anyways, I don't have a huge budget but this setup cost me a little over $600. It's going to be 50% movie, 30% TV, 20% gaming in a rather large living room 18x25ish with the open wall to the kitchen. I wanted to just buy a HTIB from Yamaha or Onkyo and be done with it but I'm glad I spent a little extra and went to the next level. I'll let you guys know how this works as my second attempt at a home theater setup. [First was Onkyo receiver with 5.1 Infinity speakers back in 2001 for my parents basement]. A new PS3 will be doing the movie and gaming.

Yamaha RX-V861
Jamo S426HCS3 5.0 Speaker System
Jamo Sub 650

What do you guys think? Pretty good for $600?

-Dustin-
Reply Home Theater In A Box