$800 For 5.1 AVR and Speakers. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a new tv (lc70le8470u) and decided i need to upgrade my audio. I have $800 in wife approved money. I need suggestions on the receiver and speakers. My only requirements is the receiver has to upscale to 1080p and the speakers can not be huge. Bonus if you can fit a good Blu-Ray player in there too ( i currently use my ps3)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Hmmm, how about a Panasonic BDT-210 or the current 220 for a blu-ray player (should be around $200,or less if the 210). MLT2 5.1 speakers. Bookshelf but you didn't specify "huge" (about $300). That leaves around $300 for a receiver of which you could find a Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo that should meet your needs. You'll also have to factor in speaker stands, etc.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Hmmm, how about a Panasonic BDT-210 or the current 220 for a blu-ray player (should be around $200,or less if the 210). MLT2 5.1 speakers. Bookshelf but you didn't specify "huge" (about $300). That leaves around $300 for a receiver of which you could find a Yamaha, Denon, or Onkyo that should meet your needs. You'll also have to factor in speaker stands, etc.

Thanks for the reply... Looking at the bdt-220 i think that's the one.. Amazon has it listed for $113 and you get $25 promotional credit.. Also Cnet gave it good reviews. I'm thinking about getting the Onkyo tx-nr515 and a set of energy take classics. I have had 2 Different audio setups but both have been HTIAB... Will the Onkyo Work well with these speakers? Also on occasion i love turning my movies/music up LOUD. What precautions do i need to take to prevent from messing up the speakers/subs?
post #4 of 5 Old 09-26-2012, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrianwilliams View Post

Thanks for the reply... Looking at the bdt-220 i think that's the one.. Amazon has it listed for $113 and you get $25 promotional credit.. Also Cnet gave it good reviews. I'm thinking about getting the Onkyo tx-nr515 and a set of energy take classics. I have had 2 Different audio setups but both have been HTIAB... Will the Onkyo Work well with these speakers? Also on occasion i love turning my movies/music up LOUD. What precautions do i need to take to prevent from messing up the speakers/subs?

I looked at the Energy Take Classics as well but the MLT2s have got my attention now. They are a little bit bigger than the Energy's and should have a better sound presence because the drivers are bigger. They also come with a 10" sub and I think the Energy's have an 8" sub driver. I haven't looked up the specs on the Onkyo but it should work ok. The Energy's (as well as the MLT2s) are 8 ohm and I think the Onkyo can handle 6 ohm as well as 8 ohm. The MLT2s can probably handle a loudness better than the Energy's. What you can do, at least I can on my Yamaha, is set the maximum volume allowable to a setting that is about 10 or 15 dB lower so that even if you accidentally hit the volume knob, the volume will stop at the setting you made and not hit maximum. A little safety feature.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-27-2012, 04:29 AM

Liked: 12
IMO you should keep the ps3 as it is a good BD player. That extra cash should be spent on a subwoofer, can you get the ML without a sub? If you really like to turn it up sometimes a bigger badder sub will be more rewarding than an undersized sub, yes even 10" is small for a sub, my floor standers have 8"s... Check out the subwoofer threads to gain advice on specific models

Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page