Viera Link with non Panasonic? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-28-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a Panasonic ST30 TV with ARC

http://www.panasonic.co.nz/products/home-entertainment/viera-tvs/st30-series-plasma/?gclid=CIHBoq6B17ICFeZMpgodmgQAKA

I want to use Panasonic TV remote to control mute and volume on external speakers

Does anyone know if this Sony HTIB is compatible with the Panasonic TV remote ? All I need is volume and mute.

http://www.sony.co.nz/product/bdv-e980w?tabName=specifications

I thought about getting a Panasonic soundbar but the above has a BD player and has a bit higher manufacturer specs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-28-2012, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I'd get something like a Harmony. My tv is an LG, the blu-ray player is a Panasonic, the receiver is a Yamaha, and there's an AppleTV2 in the mix as well. The Harmony controls all of them with the functionality that I want. ARC mean nothing unless all of your components are ARC capable.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-28-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Viera Link I believe is just Panasonic's brand of HDMI-CEC, but I don't see ARC among the attributes in your link, altho if 3d capable it may be capable. The remote doesn't use the Viera Link literally for control of other brands' units, but likely your remote can be programmed to handle another unit such as the HTIB (or perhaps vice versa on which remote can do what). A Harmony might be an answer for you if they're available in NZ at a reasonable price. Doesn't the manual for your tv specify what other units its remote can control?

post #4 of 11 Old 09-30-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
The Panny remote for the ST30 is NOT programmable; however, this shouldn't be an issue at all. The Sony HTIB supports BraviaSync. Panny's VieraLink and Sony's BraviaSync play nice together and that will allow the Panny remote to control volume and mute functions. ARC has nothing to do with any of this.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-30-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

The Panny remote for the ST30 is NOT programmable; however, this shouldn't be an issue at all. The Sony HTIB supports BraviaSync. Panny's VieraLink and Sony's BraviaSync play nice together and that will allow the Panny remote to control volume and mute functions. ARC has nothing to do with any of this.

ARC would only have something to do with it if connecting the tv to the htib by HDMI alone and trying to use audio on tv sources (OTA or apps), if the htib supports ARC. HDMI-CEC should work among most enabled units for volume/mute, I should have said so, thanks.

post #6 of 11 Old 09-30-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks very much, I just threw that "ARC' out there as I didnt know what it meant but it seemed to be something important lol

Much obliged sirs and Possumgirl

Does anyone know how that HTIB would compare for music (proper music with mids and trebles etc) to a Panasonic sound-bar such as HTB520?

http://www.panasonic.co.nz/products/home-entertainment/home-theatre/sc-htb520/

I dont know what the specs mean regarding ohms etc

I dont care about surround sound but I do about decent fidelity and unmuddy bass , compared to TV's speaker anyway, I dont expect miracles.

Obviously neither are amazing compared to proper speakers but I just want something convenient as the relevant kids cant use "help" function on Harmony whenever they stuff it up.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 AM
PLB

Liked: 11
I don't think Panasonic makes Viera link anymore. I used to have it on my old Panasonic Blu-ray player but it's not on my new 3D one.

There are other brands of universal remote that are very inexpensive, otherwise listen to Otto and get a Harmony.
post #8 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLB View Post

I don't think Panasonic makes Viera link anymore. I used to have it on my old Panasonic Blu-ray player but it's not on my new 3D one.
There are other brands of universal remote that are very inexpensive, otherwise listen to Otto and get a Harmony.

I don't know what model BD player you have, but all the players currently listed on Panny's website indicate they have Viera Link. HDMI-CTL (CEC) has become an industry standard for HDTVs, BDPs, AVRs, etc. I doubt it's going away anytime soon, or at least not until everyone is using their smart phone to control their personal universe. biggrin.gif
post #9 of 11 Old 10-01-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLB View Post

I'd have to go back and check but I think Viera Link is an option on my Panny BDT-210 (3D even tho I don't have a 3D tv).
post #10 of 11 Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I'd have to go back and check but I think Viera Link is an option on my Panny BDT-210 (3D even tho I don't have a 3D tv).

I have the BDT-110. There is a setting under "Device Control" for Viera Link. It is "on" by default but can be disabled if someone doesn't want to use it for that device. To disable HDMI-CTL for everything, it should be turned "off" on the TV. Works the same for all mfrs. AFAIK.
post #11 of 11 Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

I have the BDT-110. There is a setting under "Device Control" for Viera Link. It is "on" by default but can be disabled if someone doesn't want to use it for that device. To disable HDMI-CTL for everything, it should be turned "off" on the TV. Works the same for all mfrs. AFAIK.

It's been a long time since I setup my 210 but you are correct. It was one of the first things I disabled because I didn't see a need for it with my setup. One less setting to have to worry about compatibility. Harmony is my friend wink.gif
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page