Onkyo HT-3500 Vs. Onkyo AVX-290 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello..I've been looking for an "entry level"/"beginners" Home theater w/speakers included option....Went to www.onkyo.com and I was reviewing the HT-3500 and AVX-290, both marked as "new product" and with the same price of USD 399.
It seems that the speakers are the same for both and I compiled the parts where they differ:

Where " - " means NO, and " √ " means yes.

Processing.....................................HT-S3500.........................................................AVX-290
Audyssey Dynamic EQ......................-.........................................................................√
Audyssey Dynamic Volume.................-.........................................................................√
Music Optimizer...........................√ (Advanced)............................................................√

Connectivity
Audio I/O...........................................5/1.....................................................................6/1
Composite I/O.................................4/2.....................................................................5/1
U-Port.................................................-........................................................................√
iPod Ready...................................√(optional DS-A4, direct USB input)...............√ (Optional UP-A1)

Miscellaneous
OSD Out...........................................(basic overlay)..................................................(basic overlay) via HDMI

The issue here is simple.........HELP!

Regards,

PD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-29-2012, 07:03 AM

Hello,

What did you end up buying. I'm kind of researching the same thing. Please let me know. Thanks for the help!
post #3 of 5 Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM

Liked: 12
I am curious about this as well. I have the old HT-S3100 and have been considering an upgrade, if worthwhile, to a HDMI pass through set up for HD audio from the PS3.

These two mentioned in the OP seem to be the similar entry points that the HT-S3100 was 4 or so years ago when I got it.

Now, for blu-rays and whatnot I think it may be time for an upgrade but the differences between these two seemed minimal. I see the AVX just came out in October, but newer doesn't always mean better in some electronics.

Also, should I consider just keeping the old speakers from the HT-S3100 and just getting the new receiver? Thoughts?

Which should I get?
post #4 of 5 Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM

For what it's worth I too had been comparing the HT-S3500 and AVX-290 as well and decided on the AVX-290 for several reasons. Both systems are very similar with only minor differences really. The HT-S3500 has WRAT and a USB port which the AVX-290 doesn't and the AVX-290 has Audyssey which the HT-S3500 doesn't. Since I'm hooking my PS3 and Samsung LCD up to this and they both have multiple USB ports I really don't need any on the reciever. I never use the USB ports much anyway. I'm also far more likely to use the Audyssey feature so ended picking up the AVX-290 for that reason............... and the fact Best Buy had it for $215 over Christmas.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 AM

Can you hook up an ipod to the AVX-290? I'm a little confused by the "optional Ipod dock" not sure what that is or what ipods work with it, or how much extra it costs. Also Does the 290 have a head phone jack? Thanks.

Keith
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page