Pioneer HTP-071 Audio/Sub Issues - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-11-2012, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I recently purchased a Pioneer HTP-071 High Power 5.1 AV Receiver with 5.1 Speaker Package. I set it up exactly as the instructions explained. When I power it on I get sound from the front left, front right, as well as the surround L, and surround R. The subwoofer is working but at a very low level. I went through the settings and adjusted each speaker individually and when I do that the speakers are very loud. I have the sub set all the way up and still it is a not very loud. Also I have to have the volume up to around 25-30 to get a decent level. Otherwise all speakers are low. But the sub is always low.
Currently I am getting sounds all around, but I don’t think its using true 5-1 surround sound. I have the setting on Extended stereo. I have spent hours trying to figure this out, everything is plugged in correctly, but this system still seems to be way underperforming. I have also verified that speakers are set to small. I understand that setting them to Large can effect the Sub.
Please offer any advice you may have.
Thank you!

VIZIO 47" Class Theater 3D LCD HDTV
1080p 120Hz, E3D470VX
SRS TruSurround HDTM and SRS TruVolume audio
Connected via HDMI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-11-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
What are your source devices and where/how are they connected? You said you're getting sound from R/L (both front & surround), but what about center channel? As far as using "true 5.1", what does the front display show as the signal being received?
post #3 of 9 Old 10-11-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

I have my TV connected to the OUT HDMI source on the back of the receiver and my satellite box is connected to the SAT IN HDMI source.
The center channel is working as well. The display on the front is on the CD/SAT source. If I change it to anything else except tuner, I don’t get anything.

Thanks for your reply
post #4 of 9 Old 10-11-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Your connection seems okay. I wouldn't worry about volume level indicators, just find what's comfortable for you. However....

I downloaded a copy of your owner's manual and very quickly browsed through it. You said you're using extended stereo; that is used for a stereo source. When I asked about what your display says, I meant does it indicate you're receiving DD5.1? See pg. 7 of the manual for which indicator lights you should see. Review pg. 21 of the manual regarding Auto Playback and be sure you have your settings correct. If you haven't done so, also check your sat box audio out settings to be sure it's outputting Dolby.

Can't help you much on the sub other than suggesting you recheck the manual about setup. Perhaps someone else will come by and be more helpful, or you could post a question in the subwoofer forum.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Hi,

I have this system.

It depends what you are watching in order to get sound from all 5 channels. Ordinary television will only come from 1 (front) or 3 of the speakers depending on which setting it is on. I seem to have to watch a HD channel or DVD/Blue ray to get all 5 to work.

Try changing the setting to pro logic II, I get all 5 speakers working of HD and Blue rays. Also the volume of 20 to 30 doesn't seem very loud to me, I have mine around 35 to 40. This is is a normal volume for me, I dont like to annoy the neihbours.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-14-2012, 09:13 AM

Hi there,

I too have this amplifier. Just bought it last week but I seem to be having similar sound problems.
I have a Toshiba HD DVD Player (HD-EP30...don't laugh!) connected directly via HDMI, also a PS3 (mainly for the BluRay function).

When playing a movie throught the player with Dolby True HD encoding, nothing is shown on the amp's display to suggest that it is receiving and playing it, contrary to the manual. Sounds ok but I'm not convinced that I'm getting the full package! I haven't tried a DTS HD source yet but regular 5.1 soundtracks show up on the display without issue.

I've selected the "Auto/Direct" function on the amp as I thought this would automatically select the best setting, depending on the source.

I'm hoping it's something stupid that I've neglected to do, or an incorrect setting selection somewhere. Any ideas would be very gratefuly received, this is driving me up the wall!

Thanks smile.gif

Brent
post #7 of 9 Old 12-20-2012, 04:54 AM

Any update on this issue? And how is the sound?
Because i have a Pioneer system my nephew wants one too but is looking a this particular model due to his budget
post #8 of 9 Old 01-03-2013, 06:34 PM

hy!look guys you have bought a ****** amplifier ,that's all.i have it too and from the first day i've plugged it in it didn't seem to have no quality sund!!i hate it !see the settings that are one million,but no use ..some times ,sound is better from tv then the home theatre!!the sound of this h.theatre is so lame and unreal...you can never get it right..never sounds ok!the woofer..oh shitt...f!king woofer..seems like my granma' is playing bad drums..my ears always say :turn that **** off man!! before buying it i always admired sund of differnt stereos when passing in audio shops,those that make's you feel the sound in your stommach...tzz..tzzz..:cool:and woofer was..wooof..wooof..:cool:Instead our ****** amplifier is like :'take this then take that,and it's hammering your ears...till you relise it's not what you whished for and so you turn it off..Really ,if id have a real sound amplifier with a great bass sound i'd have it on 24hours.. Yeah..it's enough now...so dont worry about how to make it soud good 'cause it won't...just turn it off..
good luck!!mad.gif
post #9 of 9 Old 01-05-2013, 03:57 PM

This system is not even worth it...way too many problems. Here is what I posted in another thread:

It seems there is an issue with the HDMI's on this unit. I have bought two of them and have had problems with both of them switching and recognizing the source inputs, resulting in no video coming up. I talked to a tech at Pioneer and he suggested to try replacing the unit again and if I do have another problem then it may be a bad batch of boxes. I hope to have better luck with my third try. HTH

Well, I tried a third receiver and still having the same problems. Went to Best Buy and got the Harman Kardon - AVR 1700 500W 5.1-Ch. A/V Home Theater Receiver @ $199 and have had NO problems. Ended up taking the Pioneer back and giving up on that system, too bad because I really wanted a system with speakers but it just didn't perform right. I'm guessing it's just a bad bunch of receivers.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page