Do I have a problem with my receiver? Wiring?... sub? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-19-2012, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I bought the Yamaha YHT-493 HTiB a couple years ago, everything ran smoothly in my 12 x 10 x 8 room with 2 small hallways on opposite sides. We moved, our HT is now in a cavern 24 x 30 x 10 (That includes the open kitchen and dining). I upgraded my Center/L/R speakers. Polk 60's and CS2. I purchased 50' of 14gauge speaker wire, cant remember the brand on the top of my head but they were reputable. I wired the new speakers, I ran out of wire so I ended up having the new 8 ohm polks Center/L/R all hooked up via the 14 gauge and left the HTiB surrounds hooked up through the wire provided with the package, which look like tooth floss in comparison.

Turned everything on and everything sounds fine. My Yamaha receiver has several "modes" to choose from, here are some of them. Straight; Pro Logic; PL II Movie; PL II Music. Years ago I had researched and decided on using Straight for my Blu Rays and almost everything else. Since these were new speakers I was going to try out a few different modes to check out how it sounded. At first I was able to toggle between these modes. 5 minutes later I come back to notice it was set on "Straight" while I had set it to something else. I tried to toggle and nothing it would only stay on "Straight".

Unplugging the receiver then plugging it back allowed me to toggle modes again, simply powering off did not suffice. This repeated again, so I just left it in straight anyways, I have not heard any popping or any other kind of "Funky" side effects. However, While trying to test out the new speakers I noticed, or just noticed for the first time since I was really paying attention that my Subwoofer was making almost no sound. Regardless of my gain, after 50% it didn't matter. So I've been searching for subwoofers for my setup you can see that thread here:.

So my questions (sorry I always feel like I need to give as much detail as possible and I think it's because of my profession):

1: Is mixing 14 gauge wire with puny HTiB wire bad, could this have adverse effect on my receivers amp?
2: I picked up some more 14 gauge wire over lunch, however, they only had car wire, is it ok to mix 2 different brands of 2 different types of wire e.g. 14 gauge home audio to Center/L/R and 14 gauge car audio to L/R surrounds?
3: If (1) is in fact bad, could this be the cause to my toggling of sound modes and or reason I do not "feel" my bass at all?

Thanks!

VIZIO E601i-A3
AVR: Denon 3312CI
Front L/R: 2 Polk M60's
Center: Polk CS2
Surround L/R: Premier Acoustic PA-6s
Sub: PA-150 Subwoofer