AVS Forum banner

Yamaha HTIB Question

892 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Otto Pylot 
#1 ·
Well fisrt of all, hello everybody i'm kinda new here. Well getting into my question, i have a doubt about a purchase i'm going to make right now. I'm thinking of buying this Home Theater In A Box from Yamaha, the yamaha YHT-397. I read that this is a very good entry HT and it does have very good reviews from customers even better from a Onkyo.

But that doesn't guarantee me to make me buy it right away. I kept reading plenty of specs around the web and some forums, and i read something that kinda disturb me a little. The Yamaha YHT-397 it suppose to output a 100 w RMS signal per channel, in a total of 600 w RMS, now from some review sites (plenty like cnet,etc) states that the front, surround and center speakers are a 30 watt output signal: http://reviews.cnet.com/home-theater-systems/yamaha-yht-397/4507-6740_7-35409754.html ---- It says right there on speaker system. Now if someone can tell me if this is true or it is just like a minimum output signal and it is truly a 100 w RMS output, very appreciated if someone answer me these. Im looking forward to buy it perhaps tomorrow and i need to know if i will get my 600 w RMS total output. I'm sort of a newbie on this type of things.

Thx for your time and answer

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the YHT-395 system which has the same speakers. 30W in the nominal power and 100W is the maximum (at 8 ohms). For normal and moderately loud listening, in a small room, it's plenty of power for a clean sound, unless you want to rattle the windows. Then I'd suggest upgrading the speakers because the receiver will easily handle better quality speakers.

#3 ·
Well that's been helpful, now i will do a little more research then.
. Another quick question , and sorry for being ignorance, when you say 30 w been nominal power and 100 w been the maximum, that means when you are reaching some volume levels the power of the speakers is dynamic? it means can get up to 100 w, or go down to the 30 w level or it is constant?. Thx for your answer otto

#4 ·
That I can't answer for sure cause I don't really know but I do believe that's input power which would translate to dynamic output? I do know you should set a maximum volume limit on your receiver (usually about 10-15dB from maximum) so that if you accidentally hit the volume knob or Volume Up button on the remote you won't potentially blow out your speakers. These speakers aren't really made for maximum volume for extended periods of time (besides, they will start to distort out before they hit max and sound like crap). It's always best to set a maximum allowable output which is less than the receiver is capable of.

#7 ·
And what's your room size?. My living room is about 310 sq feet, you think that with the yamaha yht-397 fills entirely a room of this size, even on a low volume level? (perhaps, rattle the windows a little bit haha
). That's a very important stuff also, you said something about the room size and makes me think about it.

#8 ·
Our family room is about 300 sq. ft. with a 12' cathedral ceiling. Big sliding glass door to one side,with a cloth curtain, carpeted floor, and leather furniture. Basically lots of sound absorbing material. We sit about 12' away from the front sound stage. "Normal" listening is set to around -25.0dB but have gone as low (loud) as about -15dB without any noticeable distortion or muddying. I don't like volumes so loud that you can't talk over them so if you're a loudness freak
that likes to rattle windows and "feel" the base in your feet then this may not be the system for you, unless you upgrade the speakers. There are lots of options for speaker upgrades but I'm assuming you want to keep the bookshelf-sized footprint so that may limit your choices somewhat (you might want to consider MLT-2s for a bookshelf speaker upgrade). There are some settings you can do to increase the sound quality of the speakers but with 2.5" drives and 0.5" tweets, there's only so much you can do. I'm happy with the sound that we get for our listening environment especially after some careful adjustments but I'm looking at speaker upgrades next year just to get a bit more fuller and dynamic sound out of the fronts. If you watch a lot of movies or are a hard core gamer, you're going to want bigger, or at least more dynamic speakers. Keep in mind that listed frequency responses can be very misleading (very similar to contrast ratios for tv's) because quite often the way they are measured is not given and there are a couple of different ways to measure them, so comparing specs is not always going to work for which set of speakers is "better" than the other.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.