budget build, help a college kid out - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
alright, here is the deal. I just bought a scepter cheap ass 40 inch TV for $270. the speakers on this TV rattle and sound so ****** I want to puke. luckily I knew of this before I bought the TV and just planned on buying a audio system to fix it.

so I started looking at sounds bars and thought. I can do better than this.

then I looked at htib sets and I still think I can do better than that. any set that works good doesn't have many hdmi inputs and any set that has hdmi inputs has problems working....

does anyone have any suggestions for a htib set around $300 or less? I work at walmart in the electronics department and ive been looking on the net for a month. I just cant find anything that doesn't have allot of bad reviews. I want to find something that is good for tv, movies and country music and can get loud for smaller parties.

so lets say a htib set just doesn't cut it,
so I buy a cheap receiver say a ONKYO TX-NR414. ok so this is going to power my 5 speakers but does it power a sub?? I'm so new to audio its not even funny. I've never even hooked up car subs before. I don't know how this stuff works.

can someone throw together a quick super ultra budget build for me? or at least explain the components I'll need in order to have a decent 5.1 system.

thanks a ton
Jacob Rohlik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-16-2012, 10:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 389
For $300 your best bet is used. Where are you located?

Or one of these Onkyo systems which are slightly over your budget.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS7400/Onkyo-HT-S7400-5.1-Network-Home-Theater-Package-w/ipod-dock/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS5500/Onkyo-HT-S5500-7.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Package-w/USB-for-iPod/iPhone/1.html

this one would be right at your budget
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKHTS5400/Onkyo-HT-S5400-7.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Package-w/USB-ipod/iphone/1.html

Afro GT
post #3 of 4 Old 11-17-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick response! I'm definitely going to save my money for something like this. Right now I'm in Brookings south's Dakota but alot of weekends I'mI'mn southwest mn . I'm not sure if I want a 7.1 system. Definitely over kill for me but I'll look into it. Thanks again for showing me accessories for less
post #4 of 4 Old 11-17-2012, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakethesnake125 View Post

Thanks for the quick response! I'm definitely going to save my money for something like this. Right now I'm in Brookings south's Dakota but alot of weekends I'mI'mn southwest mn . I'm not sure if I want a 7.1 system. Definitely over kill for me but I'll look into it. Thanks again for showing me accessories for less

afrogt's suggestions are good. Keep in mind that just because you get a 7.1 system doesn't mean you have to use all of the channels now. If you can afford either Onkyo, I'd go for it. Being a college student, you will be moving around a bit (I know I did) so who knows what your environment will be like in the future (larger place), and already having the speaker expandability with the avr is nice. Just buy a pair of satellites and you now have a full 7.1 system. You're more likely to replace the speakers in the future than the receiver so plan ahead, if you can.
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page