Home Theater experts- HELP - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-18-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Onkyo s7200 7.1 home theater system and I've been trying to do research for days for the best listening modes and settings and the more I read the more confused I get.

I have a ps3 slim model hooked up via hdmi. I've read from different sources that bitstream and lpcm are better than each other for 7.1hd sound. What is the real answer?

Also how do I know which is the default listening mode? I just want to listen to it as it was intended to in 7.1. I have neo6, pL11x (I think it's called) direct (which only plays out if the front speakers), mono, theater dimensional, all Channel, I think that's it that I can choose. I'm so confused lol

Ps, I also have an Xbox 360 and wii U hooked up via hdmi as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-18-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
I have a ps3 slim model hooked up via hdmi. I've read from different sources that bitstream and lpcm are better than each other for 7.1hd sound. What is the real answer?

there is no better. one is decoded by the player and the other is decoded by the receiver. same result.

Afro GT
post #3 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB87 View Post

Also how do I know which is the default listening mode? I just want to listen to it as it was intended to in 7.1. I have neo6, pL11x (I think it's called) direct (which only plays out if the front speakers), mono, theater dimensional, all Channel, I think that's it that I can choose. I'm so confused lol.

Ok you just stated that you want 2 different things: 1. Listen as it was intended to, 2. in 7.1.

If you want to hear the exact way it was made then you need to have your listening modes set for DVD and HDTV Dolby Digital 5.1 and for Blu-ray DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD and Stereo for any Radio or CD.

However if you want to hear everything in 7.1 then you want to choose PLIIx Movie for DVD and HDTV and DTS HD MA + PLIIx Movie and Dolby TrueHD + PLIIx Movie for Blu-ray.

Shawn
post #4 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Ok you just stated that you want 2 different things: 1. Listen as it was intended to, 2. in 7.1.
If you want to hear the exact way it was made then you need to have your listening modes set for DVD and HDTV Dolby Digital 5.1 and for Blu-ray DTS HD MA and Dolby TrueHD and Stereo for any Radio or CD.
However if you want to hear everything in 7.1 then you want to choose PLIIx Movie for DVD and HDTV and DTS HD MA + PLIIx Movie and Dolby TrueHD + PLIIx Movie for Blu-ray.

Sorry I should have been more clear- I want to listen to it as intended as in the listening mode (pLIIx, neo 6 etc). If it is native 5.1 I want that if it is native 7.1 I want that. What settings do I need to have my slim ps3 set to to have it chose Dts true hd am and Dolby true hd? Will those settings be the same settings I want when playing ps3 games?

I've noticed when I'm playing ps3 games I can't ever find the Dolby digital setting on my receiver so how do I know which is the default listening mode that allows me to hear it as intended?
post #5 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Are your PS3 games in Dolby Digital? OR are they in PLIIx? It should say on the game disc case.

Onkyos are designed that when you go into listening mode setup that you chose what will be the default for each type of source component with different types of input sound. Its up to you what you want the system to output.

I use PLIIx for everything cuz I want 7.1 all the time except CDs and Radio then I use Stereo. PLIIx does an excellent job in creating the surround back channels. I normally can't tell the difference if a blu-ray was 5.1 or 7.1.

Shawn
post #6 of 6 Old 11-19-2012, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

For example uncharted 3 has both Dolby digital days and lpcm 7.1

What am I supposed to have my output in though? Bitstream or lpcm7.1?
Reply Home Theater In A Box

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page