ONKYO HT-S5500 any good? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 11-21-2012, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DJLittleMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm sorry, I tried searching but the new search function stinks. Anyway, I saw an Onkyo HT-S5500 on sale for $339.99 for a pre-Black Friday sale. I was wondering if this is worth picking up. I currently have no system, no speakers, a 50" Panny plasma with an HD DVR box from my cable company, an Xbox 360, and a Wii. I do plan on picking up a bluray player in the near future, though nothing fancy. I stream content from my 360 to the TV over ethernet, but mostly just DVDs (though that could change once I get a bit more of a bluray collection) So any thoughts on this? I know Onkyo used to be amazing back in the day but I heard they've had some major quality control issues.

If this isn't worth it, I may just save my money for another day, so I'm not sure if I would pick up anything comparable. It's more a matter of is this sale worth it?

Thanks!

-Mike
DJLittleMike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 41 Old 11-21-2012, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
HD Hockey Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I used to use a Onkyo HT-S780B HTIB system before recently upgrading. I had no quality issues with the system not functioning properly and the features at the time were very competitive for a great price. I still use the sub but that was really the only speaker out of the group that I would say is even close to decent quality of sound compared to other HTIB systems made by companies that make speakers.

My advice would be to echo what others often say when discussing HTIB systems - get a system made by a company that makes speakers normally. Onkyo does not and the contract out that part of the job (last I heard) but their receivers are still decent so if it's the specs you're looking for and the sound isn't crucial to you compared to better sounding speakers, go for it. Just know that for a little work and hunting around you could probably find a 5.1 speaker only set and buy a great amp on clearance or even open box special (like I did) and get better specs AND sound all around.

Just for comparison purposes, here is the old system I had: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/502511528?v_c=StockNotify
If you compare that to the system you're looking at, it's fairly close speaker wise - the sub and mains are passable but the center was muddy and the surrounds were just "there" enough to produce sound. They sounded like $5 radio shack alarm clock speakers honestly. They were ok for surround movies to place the sound, but music was horrible.

My suggestion to get a decent sounding system on a minimal budget,

Speakers: Polk Audio system for $216 http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B0002WTK4S/ref=sr_1_60?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1353505973&sr=1-60
Receiver: Yamaha 5.1 AVR w 4 HDMI for $199 (sounds like you have a lot of input need) http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V371BL-5-1-Channel-V-Receiver/dp/B004QQXDVC/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1353506198&sr=1-1&keywords=5.1-Channel
Blu Ray player: Samsung currently seems the best budget player with Sony right behind them. $75-$109 depending on model. You can search the blu ray player forum for advice there but I like the model I got in my sig just fine for $109 and it is networked to stream from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Pandora, etc.

Good luck either way you go - the appeal of a starter HTIB got me out of the gate on my first system, and it taught me a lot about what I would want down the road on my next setup. For a budget price like that and with no current system to set and expecation, it will be GREAT compared to TV speakers so just do what feels right to you.

 

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

 
HD Hockey Guy is offline  
post #3 of 41 Old 11-21-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DJLittleMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So basically you're saying it's a good deal on a decent system, but it's not one of those OMG BUY THIS NOW IT'S AMAZING! I appreciate the advice. I'm not an audio enthusiast, but I also know that if I had a sweet setup, I would love it. I guess it's like buying a computer - you can get a complete system from Dell that is decent and gets the job done, or you can build your own and put the components you want in it and get much better performance out of it.

I think I was looking for someone to tell me exactly what you did, so thank you. If you had said to go out and buy it oday, I probably would have. But now you're making me rethink the strategy. Maybe I will go separate components. I'll have to think about it.

The debating continues, I guess. Haha. Thanks for the input!
DJLittleMike is offline  
post #4 of 41 Old 11-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Taranteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I have owned the previous model, the ONKYO HT-S5400, since May 2011, and still love it. I would not consider myself a qualified audiophile, but do think I have a better "ear" than most people of my acquaintance, as they seem to be wowed by my HTiB when they get to listen to it. Before that I had bought two 5.1 HTiBs, of the kind that included the DVD Player---first a SAMSUNG, and later a higher quality SONY---but found that they didn't deliver the goods, especially with music, so I made the jump to a better option once the SONY died on me. In my case, the 5400 has proven to be great, since I would not be willing to spend much more on separate components; it has plenty bells and whistles and CD or FLAC music sound really nice on it. Also, I see you are yet to discover just how awesome lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA sound in 7.1 from Blu-ray movies, and it is ready for it. In short, I recommend it.

I can't say how much more separate components will give you, though I admit others posting here are much more knowledgeable than me, but for the money and seeing you are in a similar position to what mine was, that would be my call. Besides, the recommended POLK and YAMAHA combo are 5.1, whereas the ONKYO 5500 you mention, as well as the 5400 I own, are 7.1. On that note, BTW, if rear space is a problem, you can have Front Height surrounds, and let me tell you, they more than make up for it---this is how I originally had my setup but then changed to rears once I got ceiling mounts, but honestly it sounds great either way.

unfortunately, the newer 5500 model has quite a few negative reviews on amazon... Oh, well... Good luck!
Taranteacher is offline  
post #5 of 41 Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
If you're going to go separates, the receiver that HD Hockey Guy suggests is a good entry-level receiver (I have it and it is more than adequate for us). If bookshelf-sized speakers are what you want/need, then I'd look at MLT-2's. Onkyo HTiBs (S5400, S5500) had some issues reported earlier in the year but, as with any mfr, there's always going to be some questionable units.

As far as blu-ray players go, I'd look at the Panasonic BDT-210 (if still available). That's the 2011 model (220 is this year's model). Built-in WiFi, all of the current a/v formats, an all-around solid performer. And you can probably find it for less than $100. It's also 3D if that's your thing but you don't really pay anymore for that feature if you don't use it.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #6 of 41 Old 11-21-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DJLittleMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Taranteacher - I had some of the same concerns after reading the Amazon reviews. Looks like the price is good for this unit, but the unit could be better. With the cheap packaged speakers, you're mostly paying for the receiver, and if that's the case, I might be better off going with separate components.

Otto Pylot - Thanks for the suggestions. No issues with mixing of brands? I've been out of the audio equipment loop for like 20 years. Back then if you went Denon, you got all Denon components, if you went Onkyo, you went all Onkyo, etc. I guess nowadays everyone uses a Harmony remote for unified control and no one uses CD players anymore :P I think I answered my own question. Haha.
DJLittleMike is offline  
post #7 of 41 Old 11-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Taranteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLittleMike View Post

Taranteacher - I had some of the same concerns after reading the Amazon reviews. Looks like the price is good for this unit, but the unit could be better. With the cheap packaged speakers, you're mostly paying for the receiver, and if that's the case, I might be better off going with separate components.

I wouldn't go so far as to call the included speakers on my 5400 "cheap," since I (still) think they sound (and look) pretty good, especially the 10-inch active (powered) sub---the bass hits hard enough and is rich, IMHO, plus it is massive (much bigger than it looks in the pics)! The 5500 seems to have the exact same type of speakers, but the reviews make it sound risky. BTW, you can still get the 5400 on amazon for about the same price, and I hear their return policy is excellent.
Taranteacher is offline  
post #8 of 41 Old 11-22-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
@DJLittleMike - mixing components is quite common these days so there shouldn't be any problem. It's more matching specs than anything (speaker ohm rating vs what the receiver can do, that sort of thing). I use and old Harmony 880 to control my LG tv, Panasonic blu-ray player, Yamaha receiver, and AppleTV2. Programming can be a bit daunting but once you get it down.....

@Taranteacher - I'm with you on the included speakers in some of the HTiB setups. The ones that came with my Yamaha were small and looked down upon by the audiophiles but they sounded really good to me and in our environment, especially for bookshelves. Once you find that magic cross-over, you can really squeeze every drop of performance out of them, unless you're a window shattering, ground vibrating kind of guy, then they won't work for you wink.gif
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #9 of 41 Old 11-22-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DJLittleMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

@DJLittleMike - mixing components is quite common these days so there shouldn't be any problem. It's more matching specs than anything (speaker ohm rating vs what the receiver can do, that sort of thing). I use and old Harmony 880 to control my LG tv, Panasonic blu-ray player, Yamaha receiver, and AppleTV2. Programming can be a bit daunting but once you get it down.....
@Taranteacher - I'm with you on the included speakers in some of the HTiB setups. The ones that came with my Yamaha were small and looked down upon by the audiophiles but they sounded really good to me and in our environment, especially for bookshelves. Once you find that magic cross-over, you can really squeeze every drop of performance out of them, unless you're a window shattering, ground vibrating kind of guy, then they won't work for you wink.gif

I meant cheap in the sense of inferior quality control. The biggest complaints about them is that the sub dies. Obviously ever manufacturer has duds, but this seemed a high failure rate. Good to know I can mix and match things, though. Thanks for the tips biggrin.gif
DJLittleMike is offline  
post #10 of 41 Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
QC can be a nebulous thing. One would expect that a major mfr would have their QC down with rigorous inspections and re-testing before shipping out the door but I've seen dead-on-balls components passed at the QC level and by the time it's shipped to the consumer (store, what ever), something fails. It happens. A lot of folks will buy their front sound stage first, because that's the most important, and then the sides, rears (if 7.1) and then finally take time on the sub for that final "oomph" to the system.The only matching you really need concern your self about is the fronts (R/L/C) because of timbre matching. Same components, same housing, etc in theory produces the exact same response. The nice thing about good HIiB's is that one, they are kind to the budget, two, they are an excellent learning experience, and three, most often sound pretty good for one's first HTS. I think generally speaking folks who buy HTiB will keep their receivers and upgrade the speakers. That might not be the most cost effective way to go in the long run but you can at least still enjoy a great HTS experience, learn and plan along the way. Keep in mind that your listening environment also plays a BIG part in how good your system will sound. Room size, wall coverings, furniture, carpet vs hardwood floor, etc. Some receivers come with the automated Audyssey calibration system which some swear by. You can also achieve pretty much the same results manually but it is a lot more work. I think the real value of automated calibrations systems is really dependent upon the speakers and listening environment. Do you always sit dead center when watching tv, movies, etc or do you sometime sit 3 or 4 feet to the right or left? At an angle or straight? The bottom line is what sounds good to you is all that matters, regardless of what anyone else says. Look at what you want your receiver to do with what components you already have now and possibly in the future, and, if possible, listen to what you are thinking about buying first to see (hear) how your ears respond.
DJLittleMike likes this.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #11 of 41 Old 11-22-2012, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DJLittleMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sounds like excellent advice. Thank you, Otto. The sale is over for now and I decided not to pull the trigger. I want to do more research and see if I can actually go into a store and listen to some of these. Obviously my mileage may vary as the setup in my house is vastly different from what is in the store, but at least it would give me the opportunity to play with what's out there and see if I like one particular brand/line over another. Thanks for the help! smile.gif
DJLittleMike is offline  
post #12 of 41 Old 11-23-2012, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
You are correct in that your listening environment will be very different from the store but at least you can get an idea of what it sounds like and get a little more educated in the process. I wouldn't worry too much about missing the sale today if it was a Black Friday sale. Black Friday sales are more marketing genius and legal bait and switch than anything else. The best sales will be the two weeks before Christmas or around mid-January.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #13 of 41 Old 11-23-2012, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DJLittleMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Once again, great advice, Otto. That's exactly what I meant - it will allow me to play around and learn some more about what's currently out there, even if the sound will be different at home. And I totally agree with you on missing the sale. I've been saying for years now that any deal you find on Black Friday can be had at other times of the year and you can avoid the madness.
DJLittleMike is offline  
post #14 of 41 Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Let us know what you get. And if you have any questions, come on back. Happy hunting!
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #15 of 41 Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Member
 
Aztek87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

I used to use a Onkyo HT-S780B HTIB system before recently upgrading. I had no quality issues with the system not functioning properly and the features at the time were very competitive for a great price. I still use the sub but that was really the only speaker out of the group that I would say is even close to decent quality of sound compared to other HTIB systems made by companies that make speakers.
My advice would be to echo what others often say when discussing HTIB systems - get a system made by a company that makes speakers normally. Onkyo does not and the contract out that part of the job (last I heard) but their receivers are still decent so if it's the specs you're looking for and the sound isn't crucial to you compared to better sounding speakers, go for it. Just know that for a little work and hunting around you could probably find a 5.1 speaker only set and buy a great amp on clearance or even open box special (like I did) and get better specs AND sound all around.
Just for comparison purposes, here is the old system I had: http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/502511528?v_c=StockNotify
If you compare that to the system you're looking at, it's fairly close speaker wise - the sub and mains are passable but the center was muddy and the surrounds were just "there" enough to produce sound. They sounded like $5 radio shack alarm clock speakers honestly. They were ok for surround movies to place the sound, but music was horrible.
My suggestion to get a decent sounding system on a minimal budget,
Speakers: Polk Audio system for $216 http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Channel-Theater-Speaker/dp/B0002WTK4S/ref=sr_1_60?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1353505973&sr=1-60
Receiver: Yamaha 5.1 AVR w 4 HDMI for $199 (sounds like you have a lot of input need) http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V371BL-5-1-Channel-V-Receiver/dp/B004QQXDVC/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1353506198&sr=1-1&keywords=5.1-Channel
Blu Ray player: Samsung currently seems the best budget player with Sony right behind them. $75-$109 depending on model. You can search the blu ray player forum for advice there but I like the model I got in my sig just fine for $109 and it is networked to stream from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Pandora, etc.
Good luck either way you go - the appeal of a starter HTIB got me out of the gate on my first system, and it taught me a lot about what I would want down the road on my next setup. For a budget price like that and with no current system to set and expecation, it will be GREAT compared to TV speakers so just do what feels right to you.

Hello guys, I was looking at the HT-S5500 (that's how I got here) but now I'm thinking of going with your recommendation, I have a few questions first: How future proof is it? Does it support LPCM 5.1 over HDMI? I couldn't find that info, the reason I'm asking is because I recently got a Nintendo Wii U as a gift and according to this guide http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500865 the only way to get surround sound out of it its through HDMI and it only does LPCM 5.1 surround, with years of surround sound movies and gaming I refuse to go back to stereo plus this is a good excuse to upgrade tongue.gif

Right now I use one of these for my sound http://www.crutchfield.com/S-LgFsddlqtFh/p_305HTQ45/Samsung-HTQ45.html it is a very old unit and I figure anything I upgrade to is going to sound better hehe but it has NEVER given me any problems, something that can't be said by going with the Onkyo reviews I have found.

Also If I get either the Onkyo or the receiver with the speakers you recommended I will be able to use my current speaker wires right? It would make setup a breeze since everything is in place already, also do you think I could use the samsung speakers and sub in the yamaha receiver? If it's possible it would be easier on my budgetm. I'm not an audiophile in any way but if I'm going to upgrade I might as well make it a good one.
Aztek87 is offline  
post #16 of 41 Old 11-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Member
 
Aztek87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Doing further research I found this http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-397-5-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B007PU2X76/ref=pd_cp_e_2

It is within my budget and I'm ready to pull the trigger as soon as I get some opinions on it smile.gif
Aztek87 is offline  
post #17 of 41 Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
HD Hockey Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 503
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztek87 View Post

Doing further research I found this http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-397-5-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B007PU2X76/ref=pd_cp_e_2
It is within my budget and I'm ready to pull the trigger as soon as I get some opinions on it smile.gif

You can't go wrong with that receiver - it has 4k pass through so you're relatively future proof (for a while anyways) and it's the older verson of the RX-V373 which is an absolute deal for a 5.1 AVR. You could buy that AVR stand-alone for $199 so you're basically getting the speakers for $150 and that's pretty close to the Polk setup I listed above but if you trust the reviews for Yamaha speakers, go for it.

Here's the only item I would point out to you comparing the speakers;

Yamaha
Model NS-AP2600BL
Weight 1.6lbs
Cabinet Type Plastic
Speaker Size 2.5” midrange and .5” tweeter
Dimensions (W x H x D) 6-3/8” x 4” x 4” (each)
82 db sensitivity
Impedance 6 ohms

Polk
Model RM6750
Weight 2.0 lbs
Driver Configuration1x 8" Subwoofer (separate), 3.5" Midrange, .5" Tweeter
Frequency Response Curve40 Hz - 24 kHz
89 db sensitivity
Impedance 8 ohms

You can read more if you want on the specs here: http://www.manualowl.com/m/Yamaha/NS-AP2600/Manual/283593 vs. http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/manual/RM6750_MN.pdf

Good luck!

 

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

 
HD Hockey Guy is offline  
post #18 of 41 Old 11-30-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztek87 View Post

Doing further research I found this http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-397-5-1-Channel-Theater-System/dp/B007PU2X76/ref=pd_cp_e_2
It is within my budget and I'm ready to pull the trigger as soon as I get some opinions on it smile.gif

I have the RX-V371 receiver (YHT-395) and it has been an excellent receiver for us. I think the only difference between the two is a front panel iPod connector (?) and maybe auto-calibration (?). Basically not much difference. The speakers are ok to get you started but you may want to upgrade them to an MLT2 5.1 set. Still bookshelf-sized but a much better sound stage.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #19 of 41 Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Member
 
Aztek87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My main problem is that I have to get what is available at frys electronics because I have a $70 gift card there.

I just noticed they had those polk audio speakers for $130 but they are sold out everywhere frown.gif I also saw that newegg has the yamaha rx-v471 on sale for $200.

I don't know what to do...so many choices frown.gif
Aztek87 is offline  
post #20 of 41 Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztek87 View Post

My main problem is that I have to get what is available at frys electronics because I have a $70 gift card there.
I just noticed they had those polk audio speakers for $130 but they are sold out everywhere frown.gif I also saw that newegg has the yamaha rx-v471 on sale for $200.
I don't know what to do...so many choices frown.gif

Then I'd go with what you can get at Fry's if you need to have it now. If the Fry's price is the same or close to the Amazon price, and you're getting an additional $70 off, I'd go for it. The receiver alone at that price point is a winner, and with the additional speakers, it might be a pleasant surprise. Depending how you listen to your audio (window shattering, floor shaking volumes) and your listening environment they just might do you well until you can afford to upgrade them. Properly configuring your speakers as well can squeeze every bit of performance out of the little guys for a nice sound stage.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #21 of 41 Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 PM
Member
 
Aztek87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I pulled the trigger biggrin.gif is there anything I should know? Any advice for these units? I plan to go all HDMI on it.

Thank you everyone.
Aztek87 is offline  
post #22 of 41 Old 12-01-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Just use Certified High Speed HDMI cables (certified for the length that you are using) and you should be good to go. You don't need to buy the really expensive "M" brand either. Monoprice, MediaBridge, BlueJeans, etc have good cables for reasonable prices.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #23 of 41 Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DJLittleMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, I'm back. I missed the sale, obviously, but given the advice here, I decided not to pull the trigger on the Onkyo set up. Now with Christmas around the corner, I'm thinking of asking for a receiver or maybe speakers (I don't think my family can afford to buy me both haha) So my living room where this would be set up is very narrow, but long. The previous owner had speakers mounted on the ceiling in a 5.1 setup. There is *some* room on the sides of the TV stand, but not much as there are two doorways on either side. Behold my awful diagram!



The living room is roughly 16' x 9.5' with the TV mounted on the wall (blue rectangle) above a TV stand (black recentangle) and there is about 4 feet in between the couch (brown rectangle) and the front of the TV stand. The red circles is roughly where the previous tenant has speakers mounted on the ceiling. The ceiling is kind of cathedral-like. They peak at the wall the TV is mounted on at about 11' high and then angle down to the wall the futon is against at about 8' though he had all 4 speakers mounted at about 7' all around. I'm assuming he used bookshelf speakers. They were kind of corner mounted.

Okay, I'm sure that made no sense to anyone, so ask any questions you may have. I was thinking of doing the same thing the previous tenant did with ceiling/corner mounting speakers, so that would be 4 and then room for two next to the TV stand? Not sure.
DJLittleMike is offline  
post #24 of 41 Old 12-01-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Why couldn't you put bookshelf speakers on stands in the locations marked by the red circles? Ideally you'd want to have the speakers at ear level anyway while sitting on the couch. That way the sound is directed at you in a more linear fashion as opposed to being angled down. I have an 11' cathedral ceiling behind my tv as well but mine is on a media console and not wall mounted.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #25 of 41 Old 12-01-2012, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DJLittleMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Why couldn't you put bookshelf speakers on stands in the locations marked by the red circles? Ideally you'd want to have the speakers at ear level anyway while sitting on the couch. That way the sound is directed at you in a more linear fashion as opposed to being angled down. I have an 11' cathedral ceiling behind my tv as well but mine is on a media console and not wall mounted.

There is furniture in the way. I have a DVD rack in one corner, a 6' bookcase in the other, the corner by the kitchen is actually two steps up into the kitchen. That half wall is open, so it's more like a divider than a wall (the architect must have been on some good stuff). The way I look at it is movie theaters always have them high and angled, through granted they have like 100 speakers anyway. Point being, I can't do it with the furniture that's there already.
DJLittleMike is offline  
post #26 of 41 Old 12-02-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Ok. It was worth a try. Is the speaker wire already in place and is it compatible with the new speakers?
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #27 of 41 Old 12-02-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DJLittleMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Ok. It was worth a try. Is the speaker wire already in place and is it compatible with the new speakers?

The speaker wire was stuck to the walls, it wasn't installed inside of them, unfortunately. Either way, the speaker wire was removed. I only know it was there at one point because there are still mount holes where he had the speakers and some grooves in the paint. Plus we discussed this before (he's my landlord, but he used to be a tenant there).

I don't have new speakers. I was asking for suggestions on a receiver and speakers, if you recall wink.gif This would be a totally new purchase/install. I'm just trying to figure out what would be good for me and where to put it, though I don't think I have much choice on where to put it, as you know from my last response.
DJLittleMike is offline  
post #28 of 41 Old 12-02-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Got it. Old age, short term memory loss rolleyes.gif Then I'd look at the receiver first and buy something that will work well for you now and in the foreseeable future. If you get a good deal on a 7.1, then get it. You don't have to use all of the channels now but at least you've got the option down the read should your situation change. Binding post connectors so just about any speaker setup can connect, current A/V formats, HDMI pass-thru if that's important to you, maybe 4 HDMI inputs and at least one HDMI out, ARC if desired, 6 ohm/8 ohm option is nice, etc. With a receiver like that just about any speaker configuration will work now and in the future. It's too bad that you have to run the wires up the outside of the walls but you can probably be creative in hiding them. MLT2s are excellent bookshelf speakers but they are a bit larger than most so hanging them would take some creativity. Or, just go with the Onkyo HTiB and see how the speakers sound. I'd try to find someplace to listen to it first though. Everyone's hearing and listening environment is different so what sounds good to someone else may not sound good to you.
Otto Pylot is offline  
post #29 of 41 Old 12-02-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
DJLittleMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Got it. Old age, short term memory loss rolleyes.gif Then I'd look at the receiver first and buy something that will work well for you now and in the foreseeable future. If you get a good deal on a 7.1, then get it. You don't have to use all of the channels now but at least you've got the option down the read should your situation change. Binding post connectors so just about any speaker setup can connect, current A/V formats, HDMI pass-thru if that's important to you, maybe 4 HDMI inputs and at least one HDMI out, ARC if desired, 6 ohm/8 ohm option is nice, etc. With a receiver like that just about any speaker configuration will work now and in the future. It's too bad that you have to run the wires up the outside of the walls but you can probably be creative in hiding them. MLT2s are excellent bookshelf speakers but they are a bit larger than most so hanging them would take some creativity. Or, just go with the Onkyo HTiB and see how the speakers sound. I'd try to find someplace to listen to it first though. Everyone's hearing and listening environment is different so what sounds good to someone else may not sound good to you.

No worries. I can relate to that. What was I typing? Oh yeah... wink.gif

So would I be better off with the Onkyo full set or getting a receiver and speakers separate? I'm okay with starting with it and then replacing the speakers later, but I'm afraid if I do that, then I might find the receiver isn't enough and have to upgrade both.

By the way, are these speakers any good?

http://www.amazon.com/Energy-Classic-Theater-System-Black/dp/B001202C44/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1354488818&sr=8-25&keywords=7.1+surround+sound+system
DJLittleMike is offline  
post #30 of 41 Old 12-02-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 7,518
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I've looked at the Energy Takes and they're not bad. The nice thing about the MLT2s is that while they are still bookshelf-sized, they are bigger drivers which will just give you a more fuller sound stage than the smaller drivers. Again, you really need to hear them if possible. It's difficult but you need to think what you require from your receiver. You can spend a ton of money on just the receiver alone so look at the points I pointed out above and see if that's what you want out of a receiver and then take it from there. It really is a personal thing. Speakers are always easier to upgrade than a receiver.
Otto Pylot is offline  
Reply Home Theater In A Box

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off